Vega 56, non-blower cards?

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by c3k, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

1. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Sure, Asus Strix has an aftermarket cooling solution. Anyone else?

crickets...

I'm looking for a 2560x1440 gaming AMD card. Vega56 would fit the bill. I'd like something other than the reference cooler, but there seems to be a dearth of designs.

Any ideas???

2. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

c3k likes this.
  3. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Krenum likes this.
  4. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

It is unfortunate that there are so few aftermarket cards, and I say that as a guy with 7 Water-cooled VEGAs. The reference designed cards are built like tanks! They are excellent for WC'ing, but not so great for sir cooling.

I have seen Vega 64s below $500 new. Set up a Now in stock alert and you should be good to snag one.

c3k likes this.
  5. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

man i want to upgrade as well.....the Asus triple fan cards always catch my attention https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

prices seem reasonable compared to 3 months ago

6. LigTasm

LigTasm [H]ardness Supreme

Don't get the pulse. Its a Nano PCB which means zero overclocking and you won't be able to flash it without bricking it.

7. primetime

have you any info on the asus models?

8. LigTasm

Asus and the Sapphire full size (nitro?) cards are very good, supposedly the Gigabyte had some issues but it seems pretty beefy as well. TBH the reference PCB is quite good as well so even the powercolor cards that slap 3-fan shrouds on them work well.

Just bear in mind that these cards put out a massive amount of heat, my V56 with the Raijintek air cooler on it turned my case into a furnace. After playing games for more than an hour or two literally everything in there was 90C because I had my fans set of silence. Kinda defeated the purpose of getting rid of the blower so I put it under water.

My only advice is to avoid the Nano PCB cards, they were supposed to be used for a card like the Nano Fury but I guess they never bothered or couldn't get the TDP under control so now you have these huge heatsinks strapped to half size cards with a mediocre VRM that are as locked down as you can get.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    Araxie and Ocellaris like this.
  9. primetime

Oh
    i got ya....the tiny nano versions! ......let me ask ya......the vega56 really put out more heat than my rx580? I mean i guess it makes sense that it would....Although i probably try and tweak it with lowering the voltage to tame the power usage

10. LigTasm

Two RX580 overclocked in crossfire might do about the same... in reality its a 250W+ TDP card. People tend to undervolt them to get them to be more manageable.

11. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Asus Strix purchased and enrouteā€¦

Thanks.

12. primetime

your gonna make me order one to go with my new improved setup lol

13. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

I got a nice surprise. I ordered the Asus Strix through Newegg for $489 and was happily surprised to get an instant $150 AMD gift card...which was taken off my invoice.

So, yeah: jump on it. An Asus Strix Vega 56 for ~$350 out of pocket.

primetime likes this.
  14. primetime

did yours look like this during checkout?

Attached Files:

15. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah...and then later I got a new invoice...reflecting the 489 minus 150.

That first one had me puzzled and I shrugged. The second one made me smile.

Asus Strix.JPG

16. primetime

It apearsa to some kind of Amd instant rebate for just that asus model...instead of game codes......I'll probably get one at that price

17. BugginOuT

BugginOuT Limp Gawd

Why is it showing up as $639.99 for 2 items? Shouldn't it just be $489.99? My grand total comes out to $522.45, nowhere near that price of $350

18. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

I'm pretty happy, as you could imagine, to get this card for this price. I'm building a new rig (not yet in sig), based around an AMD 2700x. This card and a 2560x1440 screen will fill the build nicely. Another Vega 56 card at this price would be nice to replace an R9 390 for the same screen resolution.

19. primetime

im in same boat and am thinking it does the correct math AFTER checkout....of course if it doesnt just cancel before it ships....(or dont open it for sure)