• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VDI pilot poject, advice?

Berg0

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 16, 2005
Messages
1,038
Will soon eb starting a VDI pilot prject here at work, just wanted to solicit some feedback as to what others find is working for them.
I'm looking at rolling out initially to <10 users, data entry and inbound/outbound call center employees. Right now my shopping list is Wyse P20 zero clients doing PCoIP, VMware view premier so I can thinapp everyhting and do offline desktops, IBM HS21XM blade 2x 3.0GHz quad core xeon and 32GB RAM, and an IBM DS4700 SAN (4Gb FC, 2x 2TB LUNs) for my storage.
My understanding is I need a Microsoft VDA license for each thin client, and that covers me for OS.
I'd like to use linked clones, but chances are I'm looking at a VM per user scenario. Has anyone used view personas? feedback?
I plan to do roaming profiles and profile redirection, idealy I don't want to backp the VDI VM's, just backup the fileserver that the profiles are on. What do other people do?
I haven't looked at VDI for a while, so I'm a bit out of practice.
 
I can't even begin to tell you how helpful Andre's site is pertaining View:

http://myvirtualcloud.net/

If you have questions, more than likely you will find the answer on this blog.

VDI is an entirely different animal opposed to Server Virtualization. First and foremost, there are two things you need to accept right now:

1. The Desktop experience should be better or at least the same from the environment the users are used to working in currently so you need get the infrastructure right..especially on the storage side.
2. Don't expect CapEX savings on the intial rollout when comparing this to standard desktops. The $ you save is in OpEX the first three years...so do not try to sell this as an initial CapEX savings.

Believe me, go to Andre's blog, there are many many articles as well as a handy VDI calculator to determine your needs..etc.
 
iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops iops

10 Desktops isn't bad at all, but if you plan on growing, for the love of god, PLEASE think of the iops.
 
make sure you test any peripherals that you might use with the wyse clients. We have a ton of issues with usb, usb storage and optical devices in our vdi environment.
 
thanks for the replies guys. 10 wil be initial rollout, we'll max out (based on this years employment stats) at around 70 active user sessions. I should have sufficient IOPS for a pilot with my current "spare" SAN (IBM DS4700, 28 10KRPM 4Gb FC disks), if I need more than that for 10 clients, I've got issues.

I shal give the blog a read through!
 
Back
Top