Vc Oc

I can see that you are using an nvidia card y not use the built in overclocking utility that is in the drivers. You will need to google for Coolbits and install the registry patch and that should get you going. hope this helps
 
I just did that about 5 minutes ago... I never knew about coolbits tho... so hopefully this will be something to do the job... but question is... is it safe in a oxymoron sorta way ?
 
well iyo whats so special about rivatuner... < I hate d/l'ing programs I really know nothing about > sorry for the hassle :)
 
It lets you muck around with fan speeds, clock speeds, can hold a temp log, etc. The three things I listed are what I primarily use it for, and it seems to work well. As far as I know, coolbits doesn't offer all the same features.
 
ok so there is no real guide on here about oc'ing video cards... what does what and how do you know when you're about to fry ??
 
You OC by gradually ramping up the GPU 'til you start artifacting. Once you know the maximum safe OC on the GPU, back it down to stock speeds. Then gradually increase the speed that your memory is running at until you artifact. Once you know the maximum working speeds, you balance the GPU speed and memory speed until both are maximized without getting artifacts. So long as you're not increasing the voltage that's being fed to the video card, you're unlikely to cause permenant damage to the card.

 
wow and I really have no idea how to do any of that :(... sorry for being a hassle :) but any chances on getting a small explanation on that either through the bios or with a really good program for cpu and ram oc :)
 
I'll be able to give you a better answer (i.e. step by step by step) when I get home to my rig at home (my work computer has intel integrated graphics, so I can't really explain how to OC using either coolbits or riva :p), but in general, this is what you'll do.

1. Right click on the desktop, select "Properties."
2. Click on the "Settings" tab.
3. Click on the NVidia tab
4. Click on the tabe that reads "clock speeds" or something along those lines
5. You'll see a panel where it gives the 2d and 3d speeds for your memory and GPU; gradually ramp up the GPU. Whenever you up the speed, click on the test these settings button. After a while, you'll constantly fail the test. This is likely right around where your OC on the GPU is going to max out. As a note, there may be times where you fail the test 3-5 times, and then on the 6th you pass it. Always try the test a few times.
6. Once you've determined the max speed for the GPU, drop the GPU speed back to stock, and gradually raise your memory speed, following the same procedures as you did for the GPU. Once you've figured out the max speed for the memory, it'll all be a balancing act of maximizing the speed on the GPU and memory until you reach the best possible OC for your card.

Hope that helps some!
 
it helps a little bit... its the memory and cpu that I really dont know much about ocing
 
one question tho... why is there two for 2d and 3d and as I raise the core I need to keep the memory going up at the same time right ?
 
2d is for, while, 2d apps, while 3d is for 3d apps (ie games, 3d modelling, etc.). You don't need to increase the memory at the same time as you raise the GPU. You can probably leave the 2d clocks as they are, and only raise the 3d apps, unless you have some 2d application that you need more videocard speed for.
 
ok well what more about cpu and memory speeds ?? :)?? you said to increase them without having to increase the voltage... could I do what you said with gigabytes programs or should I find another one to use...

cause I've been looking at the bios and its... ummm... just a tad bit confrusing :(
 
With the CPU and RAM you'll want to follow the same very general theory, but will need to run things like Prime95 and such to test. Also, when you're OCing the CPU and RAM you may or may not want to increase the voltage; it can stress/damage your hardware, but can also result in higher OCs. I'd recommend that you check the stickies in the forum for more info on how to OC.

 
sigh... I'm the kinda guy that can learn alot quicker and more by watching... is there any real video tutorial kinda things out there ??
 
Not that immediately comes to mind...OCing takes a long time, and a lot of trials and errors, and more of all, a lot of reading. You have to be patient if you're going to successfully get decent OCs from your hardware. Again, the stickies in this forum are good, and you can also check the other OCing forums on the net for more info if you somehow find this one lacking.

 
I have, I've read ALOT of stuff in this forum... I mean I get what it says but whenI check my bios I just get so lost... I dunno theres just SO MUCH junk in my bios that can be tweaked that none of these small guides even talk about lol... thats the only thing I'm scared of... messing something I'm not suppose to because its named different or something like that...

I tried oc'ing with a program I use but it seemed like nothing would stay stable... I dunno I'll have to just keep reading what everyone else talks about and see if I can come up with something... you've been a great help man and I do appreciate it :)
 
Don't be scared of your bios....so long as you're not actually increasing the voltage to components, there is little chance that you'll do any damage, and if the board doesn't boot anymore you can just reset the bios and start fresh ;) :p

 
I am using 3dmark03 to test my overclocks. I would overclock the video like 5mhz at a time and run the program. Eventually the program would just crash and I would back down to the last good spot. The cool part is that you get a tangable grasp on the performance increase, because you can see the frames per second inch up as you run the test and then your score bumps up a little.

BTW: The only reason I used 3dmark03 is because my pathetic Geforce MX420 can only run one the four games in there, and doesn't even meet one minimum on 3dmark05 :(

Oh, and I just kept raising the overclock on the CPU until Windows wouldn't boot anymore...2.1Ghz XP2700 to 2.33Ghz so far.
 
westrock2000 said:
I am using 3dmark03 to test my overclocks. I would overclock the video like 5mhz at a time and run the program. Eventually the program would just crash and I would back down to the last good spot. The cool part is that you get a tangable grasp on the performance increase, because you can see the frames per second inch up as you run the test and then your score bumps up a little.

BTW: The only reason I used 3dmark03 is because my pathetic Geforce MX420 can only run one the four games in there, and doesn't even meet one minimum on 3dmark05 :(

Oh, and I just kept raising the overclock on the CPU until Windows wouldn't boot anymore...2.1Ghz XP2700 to 2.33Ghz so far.

I assume that you're also using Prime95 to test your CPU OC and memtest to test the increase to your FSB?
 
Back
Top