vapochill LS questions

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
1) do I have to put that thermal conduction crap ON my pins/socket? If so, how do i clear that shit off?
2) Do you put that AND AS5 on your IHS? or just one or the other?
3) if your missing a few parts (springs, foam piece, thumbscrews) for a S478 but the S754/939/940 parts are still there, is that still good enough to sell? Does anyone know where I can get the missing parts?

Don't use that white crap that most people use on your pins/socket, that is very hard to get off. You do need to use something to pack the socket/cpu pins, the idea is to make sure no ambient air gets in, no air = no condensation. I use vaseline to pack the pins and socket and to seal around the insulation, it's much easier to remove. You can use a spray can of electronics cleaner to wash it away. You really need to do some research on insulation your board before hooking the vapo up, a little condensation in the wrong place will be disasterous ;)

You can buy new mounts and insulation online for the vapochill units. I believe FrozenCpu has them.

That's a great deal on that vapo ;) Do some research on what used units are selling for, the mount kits are fairly expensive, you may not want to tie up that much money is one you are going to sell, whoever buys it may need a different mount anyway.

Good luck... and welcome to phase change :D

Thanks for the reply....so you say you put vaseline on the pins and around the chip? how do you blow it away with condensed air? is vaseline conductive?

Well its finally installed and so far im @ 3.0GHz on my 146 :D I like it but dont. Like it for the speeds, dont like it as its kinda noisy...a lot noisier than my WCing setup.

What would a vapochill go for usually? What about with matching case with case pieces missing? (side doors, bay covers, no PSU, 2 cut holes in the top for 120mm fans(which I didnt do))?

Normally, a vapo goes for just short of a grand. With those mods, I'd assume about 800~.

Remember its used tho, but in excellent condition..everything works great. what do you suggest? The only problem is that its missing 2 thumbscrews (which you can pick up anywhere), the S478 foam piece (1 of the 2..the bottom one), 2 springs, and 3 plasitc washers. It has all the parts for a S74/939/940 hookup.

You can get complete socket kits (including 478) here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Modified Cases/se=Vapochill/mp=menu_search.html

But quite frankly, if you're looking to sell it, I think you're just better knocking $50 off the asking price and pointing your buyer to that page if they're interested in a 478 setup.

As far as packing the socket with the Asetek white thermal compound - you can do it, but as mentioned, it's difficult to clean out (although I have done it with rubbing alcohol+toothbrush and electronics cleaner+toothbrush).

I wouldn't use vaseline to pack the socket either. What I use, and what they recommend on the Asetek forums is Luberex Dielectric Grease ( http://www.crazypc.com/products/9345.html ) It is non-conductive, and most importantly, has an excellent consistency which I've found very easy to work with (very easy to pack the CPU socket with). It also cleans off very well with electronics cleaner.

As for between the IHS and evaporator head, you can either use a dab of luberex, the white compound provided by Asetek, or Arctic Silver Ceramique. From what everybody says, AS5 doesn't perform as well as Ceramique at sub-zero temperatures whereas Luberex, Ceramique, and presumably the Asetek compound are made for the operating temperature range of the Vapochill LS.

Back