3DMark2001
28130 marks

3DMark2005
(not performed yet)

Aquamark
(not performed yet)

Original Post:
bubblethumper said:
I just couldn't hold out any longer. I need phase change.

I'll be doing my own "mini-shoot out" with the following hardware:

3.4 Northwood
3.2 Prescott (engineering sample)
3500 Winchester
MSI Neo Plat 2
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (modded)
Abit IC7-Max3 (modded)

And my videocard and northbridge cooler will be the only heat sources on my watercooling loop.

:)

bubblethumper said:
I just couldn't hold out any longer. I need phase change.

That sounds so funny. Spoken like a true addict. "gotta get my overclocking fix!" Be sure to take lots of pics and post them for us to drool over. :)

Jonsey said:
That sounds so funny. Spoken like a true addict. "gotta get my overclocking fix!" Be sure to take lots of pics and post them for us to drool over. :)

Coming up today! I've already got the unit setup with my IC7-Max3 and the 3.4c.

33sec 1M superpi so far. I kinda wish I could use a patched prescott superpi, but this is a Northwood.

cornelious0_0 said:
Always nice to see another [H]'er jumping on PC.....good luck in your endeavors. :cool:

Thanks! I got the Max3 after seeing how much good luck you've had with it. My old asus board isn't even worth using until I get it modded.

33sec 1M superpi so far. I kinda wish I could use a patched prescott superpi, but this is a Northwood.

Newsflash bro.....any serious overclockers/benchers basically just disregard the patched versions of SuperPi. The only reason I require patched and unpatched times in the [H]ard SuperPi Challenge is because I want proof that both are being run, so that I can submit UNpatched times to the list....to keep things a LITTLE more "even" if someone wants to compare AMD to Intel times.

Thanks! I got the Max3 after seeing how much good luck you've had with it. My old asus board isn't even worth using until I get it modded.

Cool, good to know I was able to help with your decision.....my P4C800-E DLX was a nice board, but without the droop mod it was completely useless if you were trying to do any high-level overclocking.

Ok, so the 3.4c is up first. Since the Max3 only has problems with memory voltage and I use TCCD (which doesn't need much voltage). I don't think I'm going to bother with the Asus at this point. It's just not worth the effort/money.

Data moved to first post

The top speed of the processor seems to be up around 4.5-4.6ghz, but the motherboard seems to have some major issues at that point. Superpi runs fine, but my memory readings (FSB/Bandwidth) get really messed up and the USB ports stop working right (which the chill control needs). I've tried everything to fix the problem and it's definitely the Mobo having issues.

not bad, 30k in 01 will be simple.....and once the card gets some lovin', 7.5k in 05 should be just as easy....mind sendin' me the Vapo when you're through having fun? :p

cornelious0_0 said:
not bad, 30k in 01 will be simple.....and once the card gets some lovin', 7.5k in 05 should be just as easy....mind sendin' me the Vapo when you're through having fun? :p

Yeah no problem! :p

I'll keep you in mind if I ever sell it. I gotta be honest, the sound level is a bit more than I expected, but I think I can handle it.

(New score added above)

bubblethumper said:
I'll keep you in mind if I ever sell it. I gotta be honest, the sound level is a bit more than I expected, but I think I can handle it.

Hehe, that's just stock.....remember that most of the "big guns" swap out those fans for big 150cfm+ Delta fans.....most of the higher end OC's you see with single stage phasechange setups aren't with stock fans at all.

cornelious0_0 said:
Hehe, that's just stock.....remember that most of the "big guns" swap out those fans for big 150cfm+ Delta fans.....most of the higher end OC's you see with single stage phasechange setups aren't with stock fans at all.

Yikes! Waaaaay too loud for me.

(29min 58sec 32M superpi! added above!)

bubblethumper said:
Yikes! Waaaaay too loud for me.

(29min 58sec 32M superpi! added above!)

Well, you gotta pay that price, and draw the line somewhere when it comes to this stuff. Frankly, I'd be interested to see what you'd be able to do with a 120mm Stealth or something running on it instead....just out of curiousity.

hey congrats on your purchase...

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics with your impressions on installation after you're done. I've yet to try an LS, they're kinda pricey. Might get one this summer though if I can score a good deal on a used one. Have fun...

isp said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics with your impressions on installation after you're done.

You got it. I'll get those next time I do a processor swap (should be this week)

(Aquamark Score added above!)

bubblethumper said:
You got it. I'll get those next time I do a processor swap (should be this week)

(Aquamark Score added above!)

Not bad bro.....you should come over by the [H]ard ARC now and/or once you get going with that XT...cus if you're still being fairly conservative with that XT of yours then 90k should happen fairly easily.

Mind getting me a link to that score of yours?

cornelious0_0 said:
Not bad bro.....you should come over by the [H]ard ARC now and/or once you get going with that XT...cus if you're still being fairly conservative with that XT of yours then 90k should happen fairly easily.

Mind getting me a link to that score of yours?

hehe, this is a little embarassing but I don't know how to publish scores for Aquamark online.

Do I have to buy it?

83k.jpg

Run Stats: 3.4c @4.44 X800XTPE @570/570

Pretty conservative IMO. I'll dial it in next week after I volt-mod it. Pencil modding drives me nuts, so I'm going to send it out to be modded.

1: I'm assuming you're using clockgen to OC your cpu.....cus I tried that and it screwed up my CPU and GFX scores....can you run at those same clocks off boot? you should be able to if it's stable enough to run AM3.

2: you don't have to buy it, go into "My Documents" and get into your Aquamark3 folder....it makes a folder for each time you run the test....find the one that corresponds to that score by clicking on the results "link" that's in there and clicking on submit.

Would you mind going on over to the ARC ands submitting the link there for me?

Open the LS front panel and put 120 Delta EHE fan. It will help sustaining lower evaporator temp @load..and also on vapo control panel...set both fans @100% and heaters @40%...

cornelious0_0 said:
1: I'm assuming you're using clockgen to OC your cpu.....cus I tried that and it screwed up my CPU and GFX scores....can you run at those same clocks off boot? you should be able to if it's stable enough to run AM3.

At first, I simply booted into the system at the clock I wanted (e.g. 4.5ghz). That was fine for superpi (and the numbers were good), but my 3dmark benches were abnormally low. So I decided to look at my memory stats. I was getting like 170meg/sec memory bandwidth (should be around 5500meg/sec) and this was showing up in both Everest and Sandra. All my stats were ok in CPU-Z, but everything else was contrary.

Sooo... I booted into the system at a lower speed (like 3.8 or 4.0) and use clockgen to get the last bit of speed that I need. It's definitely a mobo problem because I see some other strange behavior when I boot into high clocks (like USB not working right).

I've never had a problem with clockgen. You just have to be very careful how you setup the system in the bios before using it. Otherwise it can cause huge problems.

cornelious0_0 said:
2: you don't have to buy it, go into "My Documents" and get into your Aquamark3 folder....it makes a folder for each time you run the test....find the one that corresponds to that score by clicking on the results "link" that's in there and clicking on submit.

Would you mind going on over to the ARC ands submitting the link there for me?

thanks and yes, I'll submit the score tomorrow. My system is off for the night.

centvalny said:
Open the LS front panel and put 120 Delta EHE fan. It will help sustaining lower evaporator temp @load..and also on vapo control panel...set both fans @100% and heaters @40%...

Hmmmm..... already set fans at 100% and set heaters to 50%. I'll drop the heaters to 40%, but I doubt it will make much of a difference. Now the whole delta idea.... sounds interesting but I think I'll leave it stock for noise reasons. Maybe an FX-57 could change my mind? ;)

centvalny said:
With fan I can bench stable @ 3.44Ghz with 55 and boot up @ 3.5Ghz. :)

Yeah, I've been eyeing your progress in your thread. :)

Unfortuntely, several things keep me from plunging into AMD land

1. My A64 3000 (newcastle) doesn't multitask all that well (but it's not very noticeable)
2. FX-55 will soon be cheaper (thanks to the FX-57 introduction)
3. I don't see an AGP s939 mobo that I love and I don't want to go PCI-Express yet

I'll soon be playing around with a 3500 winnie on a Neo2 Plat. I know the Neo2 will be a solid performer, but I think that if I were to get an FX-57 (or even FX-55), I'd have to plunk down for a DFI board and a new video card. Those DFI NF4 boards look simply awesome for high OC setups

Sigh, what an addiction this is. At least this hobby is cheaper than my car modding hobby (german car) or Neo Geo collecting

bubblethumper said:
Those DFI NF4 boards look simply awesome for high OC setups
So far is the best....well, GL and have fun with Vapo :D We can always compare notes :)

I'm actually in the process now of doing a new full system and LS mod. I'm gonna start with the stock vapo and see what I can accomplish on the FX-55. Then I'll swap the fans and make some easy adjustments, run it again. After that, I'm gonna replace the stock condensor with a larger 6 row unit, and replace the block with a baker block and enclosure. I'll keep the r507 at first, but I may go ahead and re-gas with r402.

My goal is to each time see the actual real world performance gains. I get asked these questions alot, and hopefully it will clear some things up or shed some light.

Good results bubble, keep up the good work!

Same to you Nuc, can't wait to see some numbers

Me too! It seems like its been a long time since I was benching. I have been so busy with other things, that its crazy. It's funny how your main hobby and after work activity can easily get side-tracked and pushed down the list.

I sold the single stage Baker cooler, and bought another LS to use for this project. I'm hoping to get into modding again with this build, as I really enjoy it. This is gonna be my 24/7 sleeper system :D

Sorry to hi-jack bubble

VO_Nuclear said:
Sorry to hi-jack bubble

No worries :)

I can't wait to see your setup. Make sure you post results here.

I'll definitely be going to an FX-55 if the FX-57 turns out to be a dud under phase change.

Ok, I'm going to post all the cumulative results in my first post.

Latest update: 84,259 Aquamarks with only 570/590 on the XTPE. Can't wait for volt-modding.

My max OC is stable up to 4.5ghz. Not too shabby. I just saw that someone over on xtremesystems.org had a 3.4c up to 4.7ghz. I am content for now.

bubblethumper said:
Latest update: 84,259 Aquamarks with only 570/590 on the XTPE. Can't wait for volt-modding.

Not bad bro, with my 3.4E at 4.3GHz and the XT-PE at 702MHz I ended up at just over 88k with my Intel rig.....you're about 200MHz "up" on me.....which would have pushed my scores into the 90's for sure...can't wait to see what you do with a/the modded card.

cornelious0_0 said:
Not bad bro, with my 3.4E at 4.3GHz and the XT-PE at 702MHz I ended up at just over 88k with my Intel rig.....you're about 200MHz "up" on me.....which would have pushed my scores into the 90's for sure...can't wait to see what you do with a/the modded card.

Me too! I'm working on getting my score submitted online. I'll have that for you shortly over in the ARC.

BTW, my mem speed is a typo above. It was actually 580 not 590

Ok, well the party is over as quickly as it started.

My Winnie 3500 doesn't like the cold. Rumor has it that NF4 boards don't suffer from the "cold winnie" problem. I don't want to go PCI-E just yet :-(

I also tried my 3.2E (ES) s478 and it was not so hot an OCer either. I got the pressy up to 4.4ghz, but it just couldn't give me the last 100mhz no matter what I did. I really think the motherboard simply isn't up to the task. It hardly took any voltage to get up to 4.4, but that was a brick wall. I think the mobo just gives out at that point.

So new I have to decide what to do with all my hardware.

I really want a PC using the DFI NF4 boards because they have so much available for phase change folks.

Ugh....

what to do?

Stupid PCI-Express :confused:

You can run nf4 with good ole pci card for temporary. Its also good for an emergency video card when bios flashing (vid.card) went south...

centvalny said:
You can run nf4 with good ole pci card for temporary. Its also good for an emergency video card when bios flashing (vid.card) went south...

Or if you dont have an old PCI card laying around (which I dont surprisingly) you can do what I'm doing...and pick up an X300 for $100 or less and still have a kick ass cpu/mobo until you can scrape up the cash for a better card.

nice man, I've got a phase change system being custom-built to my specificiations by a great guy, hopefully I can reach your success :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do have a PCI video card, but I'm not so sure an NF4 board would be the solution. I've done some research and there are still some people having Winchester sub-zero problems on the DFI board.

The other problem would be that I actually want to use this machine for gaming too. PCI video card wont do jack for me.

As far as the X300 is concerned, it would work, but it's not a solution. If I bought one of those, my HTPC would have better gaming performance than my main rig. I'd also have to toss out (or sell) my XTPE which I just sent off to viper john.

Sorry to be so down on using everyone's ideas, but the heart of my "DFI-hesitation" is that an NF4 may not remedy the cold boot issue. And then I'm stuck with another piece of hardware that wont work.

I really need that FX-57 to come out soon or have the FX-55 price drop. Then I can stay with my current video card for a little longer.

ScHpAnKy said:
nice man, I've got a phase change system being custom-built to my specificiations by a great guy, hopefully I can reach your success :)

Awesome! Your phase change unit will probably outperform mine. Custom setups (depending on your specs) can sometimes outperform Vapos/Prometias by a lot.

I'm assuming you've seen the front page of [H] bro.....1H 05 we will see Venice and San Diego...which means FX-57 before June. :cool:

cornelious0_0 said:
I'm assuming you've seen the front page of [H] bro.....1H 05 we will see Venice and San Diego...which means FX-57 before June. :cool:

Well, hopefully not too soon. When that processor comes out, I'm going to drop everything and buy a DFI SLI-DR, FX-57, and a PCI-E video card

In the meantime, I'm gonna have some Intel/AGP fun. I just got in touch with a guy that will do the full gamut of stability mods for my Max3.

My northwood currently goes higher than my prescott, but I think that the prescott has much more headroom. The mobo is in desperate need of mods.

bubblethumper said:
Well, hopefully not too soon. When that processor comes out, I'm going to drop everything and buy a DFI SLI-DR, FX-57, and a PCI-E video card

In the meantime, I'm gonna have some Intel/AGP fun. I just got in touch with a guy that will do the full gamut of stability mods for my Max3.

My northwood currently goes higher than my prescott, but I think that the prescott has much more headroom. The mobo is in desperate need of mods.

I want the 57 to be released as soon as possible.....between now and June I plan on getting my DFI Ultra-D and 3200+ up and running with my existing GSkill 2x256MB 431 LE, and a cheapo video card, either PCI, or PCI-E. Then, I'll start saving to drop the FX-57 into my rig.....and continue to wait for the r520 to replace the X300 that'll probly be in there.

No sense in running out right now and breaking the bank for an FX-55 when the 57 is this close...and I'd much rather just wait for the r520...because otherwise I'd be selling my X850 right away, and I wanna get away from those habits. Hopefully by the time the r520 is released I'll have enough to get my VapoLS, get it modded, and running on the FX-57 for some sick scores.

/offtopic

Since this post has become a work log, I'll post the latest update.
  • 3500 Winchester is being returned due to cold boot issue
  • XTPE went off to viperjohn yesterday
Here are a few pics of the setup and install:

In case you have questions, it's a PC-85, the radiator is externally mounted with standoffs, and no my system doesn't look like this when it's fully assembled. Oh, and the 3.5" bay area has a Playstation LCD screen mounted in it.

setup.jpg

reenforcements.jpg

neo2winnie.jpg

winnie.jpg

cornelious0_0 said:
I want the 57 to be released as soon as possible.....between now and June I plan on getting my DFI Ultra-D and 3200+ up and running with my existing GSkill 2x256MB 431 LE, and a cheapo video card, either PCI, or PCI-E. Then, I'll start saving to drop the FX-57 into my rig.....and continue to wait for the r520 to replace the X300 that'll probly be in there.

No sense in running out right now and breaking the bank for an FX-55 when the 57 is this close...and I'd much rather just wait for the r520...because otherwise I'd be selling my X850 right away, and I wanna get away from those habits. Hopefully by the time the r520 is released I'll have enough to get my VapoLS, get it modded, and running on the FX-57 for some sick scores.

/offtopic

Yeah, I'm feeling your pain. I've got 2 videocards, 4 mobo,s and 3 cpus for one computer.

Back