Vapochill LS + Athlon 64 FX-53 - What thermal compound

Protoform-X

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought I concidered everything already for my rig, but what the heck should I use for the thermal compound? Will Arctic Silver 5 be ok at these temperatures, or is something else better to use?

Thanks,
Matthew

with phasechange you barely need any thermal goop,, the power of the converter will be high enough,,

I mean, you'll will not really effect temperatures with or without thermal compound using phasechange..

Generic cheep silicone will suffice, cheap, works fine, not capacitive (safe for traces), lasts for bloody ages.

Cool, thanks for the quick answer. The silicone stuff wont seperate under the cool temperatures, will it?

Use thermal compound. The person above is an idiot. Ceramique is the best for subzero temps. AS5 can only go down to -50C I think.

Checking the specs on the ceramique stuff it can only go down to -40. AS5 can go down to -50. Which one should I get?

Don't argue with me, I know what I'm talking about.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Specifications:

Thermal Resistance:
<0.007°C-in2/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Thermal Conductance:
>200,000W/m2.°C (0.001 inch layer)

Average Particle Size:
<0.38 microns <0.000015 inch
( 67 particles lined up in a row equal 1/1000th of an inch. )

Temperature limits:
Peak: –150°C to >180°C Long-Term: –150°C to 125°C

Coverage Area:
2.5-gram syringes. (About 1cc)
At a layer 0.003" thick, one tube will cover approximately 20 square inches.

22-gram syringes. (About 8cc)
At a layer 0.003" thick, one tube will cover approximately 160 square inches.

Well, considering the LS shouldn't take you below about -45C, then AS5 would be fine. Or not.

Thanks, I know im an Idiot.
I only wanted to clear out that with the power of the compressor and the heat fromn the processor the delta between the evaporator and the cpu isnt't really going to affect cpu temperatures in terms of Artic silver , generic or cera.

a snug fit with -30C evaporator and artic silver, will give you nearly the same temperatures as a rough dry fit and a evaporator temperature of -40C,,,

THIS DOES NOT COUNT FOR ORDINARY FAN HEATSINKS!!!!

Im not an idiot,, :D But @-40 the viscosity of the goop is its most important factor.
Think generic silicone wouldn't harm performance, and most generics work low at -50C fine. Airplane electronics uses generic silicone goop too.

ah, but consider, a snug fit with -40 and AS. ;)

btw, i love AS5
i put it on my laptop (replaced a thermal pad)
and it made a huge difference.
and, given how good thermal pads have gotten (as good as silicone goop in some cases), that says alot for AS5

The evap on my Mach I gets to -40C. For $900, the LS better too.

I'm having my Mach I modded to r507 next month. Yay for -30C load.

I've run a few months on my mach2 with both ceramique and AS5. The AS5 starts off better but gets warmer with time while the ceramique seems a little higher but stable. Granted I haven't run enough samples to have any statistical significance, but I know what I'm using next time I need to mount my evaporator.

I have both Astek LS and Mach2's. I have tried both AS5 and AC, and to be honest, either one will work for this purpose, or atleast it did for me. Just make sure you put it on right. And make sure the evap is mounted correctly, biggest problem i always see, it improper mounting.

I have used both AS5 and Ceramique with my Promie.
I like the Ceramique a little better, it seemed to get less gummy, for lack of a better word
I didnt see any difference in my temps between the 2.
Right now I;ve got Ceramique on the processor and AS5 on the vga and north bridge water blocks

maxkilling said:
Im not an idiot,, :D But @-40 the viscosity of the goop is its most important factor.
Think generic silicone wouldn't harm performance, and most generics work low at -50C fine. Airplane electronics uses generic silicone goop too.

Viscosity is not a factor, there is no fluid motion.

And even if you are an idiot, StrongBadia should know not to proclaim that here on our forums. StrongBadia should read the rules and cease the flaming before he begins looking like an idiot himself.

Hey, whatever compound you decide to use, let us know what kind of temps and overclocks you're getting with that combination FX-53 + VAPOCHILL!!!

That has to be awesome, although quite pricey ;)

Back