• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

vantec stealth whine?

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Messages
1,067
I just grabbed a vantec stealth, specifically because i wanted silence from a fan(I don't mind the sound of air, but whine is unacceptable). Is this typical or did I get a bad fan?
 
I've got 4 of them running in my case, and can't remember hearing any whine. All I get is a whooshing sound from the air, and even that is pretty quiet.

The only other quiet fans I'd buy instead of these would be the new SilenX fans. Same airflow, 14dB ( = 4x quieter).
 
You could try oiling it... sleeve bearings get whiny if they are out of lube.

On the other hand, you could do yourself a favour and get SilenX fans :D
 
I own over 10 vantec stealth fans throughout several computers and not a single one of them produces a whining sound.

Sejin
 
dotZIP said:
You could try oiling it... sleeve bearings get whiny if they are out of lube.

On the other hand, you could do yourself a favour and get SilenX fans :D

Doubleyou tee eff, mate? Stealths are dual ball bearing fans. Oiling will probably help, since it's still metal on metal.

W00t! I just found a Canadian supplier for SilenX fans! It's too bad that they already shipped a huge order of other stuff to me... Oh well, next time. ;)
 
From looking at the SilenX website it looks to me that all there stuff is is remarked Zalman equipment, with a couple Swiftec heatsinks thrown in. There chipset, harddrive, video card, and there CPU coolers all are anyway. How do I find out if there power supplies and fans aren't just remarked also?
 
Back
Top