• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vantc Stealth fans and Shuttle

Freemason115

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 26, 2002
Messages
368
Hello,

I was wanting to do the cutout fangrill on the back of my shuttle, will this help my temps drop any, machine specs are in my sig.

Vantec Staelth 80mm and 120mm with fan adaptor in push/pull config.

Right now my temps are

CPU: 34c Idle
CASE: 36c Idle
Powersupply: 39c idle

after 1 hour of prime95/ and folding

CPU: 45c loaded
CASE: 49c loaded
Powersupply: 53c loaded

Basically what im getting at is, has anyone done this config, and does it help allot? I like the quite fans also, anyone has any person experience with these?
 
Alot of people over at the sfftech.com forums indicated that removing the grill greatly reduces the back pressure on the fan therebye allowing the airflow to run smoother and have reduced temps anywhere from 1c to 5c in most cases. It also reduces the noise as a result of less turbulent airflow. Here are some pics of modded cases to show what other people have done.

Just be sure you remove EVERYTHING from the shuttle case before you remove it, otherwise those metal shavings will get on electrical connections or worse, inside the PSU, you apply power and ZAP!!!!

My Vantec 120mm stealth is doing awesome, much better then that Panflo thing I had.

4ce6892968ff6330a8e6243470e93dbc.jpg

6f6e0f7142c2de31ef4c9d4bb8844340.jpg


25d399f5a52f10907a6


6e32c48e3893a0220d6f6b88900b6df2.jpg
\

824b37db95e617536765c03de7851e71.jpg
 
Took your advice, I removed the insides and used a nibbler to remove the grill. I have another question if I may, Will the use of the fan adaptor decrease the flow of air? Thats why I was going to use the higher cfm 120mm fan to pull on the outside, am I correct in thinking that? Internal fan pushes 27cfm/external pulls 53cfm. Also should I look into rubber orings to use around the screws for vibration? Im new to the sff, I got really tired of the big rigs and in my case lots of noise. So far its a pretty hard machine to beat, for the money and use of exsisting pieces from my other tower I had.
 
I have two Vantec Stealth 80mm fans in my Antec Performance Series II case. They make less noise then the exhaust fan that came with the case but they arent silent. Maybe whisper quiet but you can definately hear them. I dont have a shuttle case so I cant comment on the temp drops...I dont even have my board and proc yet (Chaintech VNF3-250 and A64 2800+).
 
Not in the sense, with the adapter you will be able to hook up a larger fan that will be able to pull through much more air then the standard 80mm fan. This is the same effect that car radiators use.
If you look at your cars radiator and cooling system, you will notice that the fan will be pulling air through the radiator rather then pushing it. It will also typically be in a sealed chamber called a "duct" that is in the shape of a funnel. Using this, the fan pulls air across a much larger area across the entire radiator, therby removing more heat energy then you would if you were simply using the fan in a blow situation. The reason being is that the surface area cooled on the radiator in a "blowing" state is proportional to the size of the fan. Not quiet as efficent when you think about it.

In this case its the opposite but the same effect, we are using a larger fan to "draw" more air through certain space then what a 80mm fan would typically do. With the larger fan, it also doesn't need to run at higher speeds to produce higher airflow, thus less noise. A win win situation.

Using something to isolate between the fan and the case is a good idea as it will reduce chances of humming or buzzing as well as creating a nice airtight seal so no air can leak through either
 
Back
Top