• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vanilla p5b..

sirplayalot said:
You sure?? I'm holding it against you if I buy it and it wont boot!!

:p

The P5B was designed with Conroe in mind, so no - it doesn't need a BIOS update, although there are bios revisions you'll want to update to in order to get the most of the board.
Does it do SLI? Nope...BUT, it will run the 7950 which if you don't already have a card is every bit as good if not better. You won't be able to do quad...but then again, that's as niche as it comes.
 
It WILL run the 7950? The 7950 GX2? (Been out of the Nvidia scene for a bit, are they the same thing?? :-P)

Reason I ask is, I'm thinking about trading my x1900xt for a guy's 7950 GX2. But obviously, I have to make sure the motherboard supports it..
 
Argg...I keep hearing mixed people saying the P5B supports conroe out of box and then others saying it needs a BIOS update!!! This is killing me...
 
sirplayalot said:
Argg...I keep hearing mixed people saying the P5B supports conroe out of box and then others saying it needs a BIOS update!!! This is killing me...

OUT OF THE BOX :cool:
 
Marvelous said:
p5b vanilla will not run 7950 with the current bios...

I don't know what to think now. I called ASUS and a tech support guy told me it would support it.. he specifically asked if I meant the vanilla or deluxe version of the mb..
 
the vanilla bios hasn't been updated yet...

Only the deluxe has...

It will come out soon...

p5b supports conroe out of the box...
 
dingobiatch said:
I don't know what to think now. I called ASUS and a tech support guy told me it would support it.. he specifically asked if I meant the vanilla or deluxe version of the mb..

Never trust Asus tech support. I bought an P5LD2 back when the Pentium D series first came out with a large logo that said, "Dual Core Ready!" on the box and the rep told me that it wasn't ready over the phone. "Da-hurrrr you have to send me the bios so I can flash it lolololol." What an idiot liar.
 
If a motherboard with a chipset SPECIFICALLY designed for Conroe support doesn't support Conroe, than there is a serious problem.

They aren't just supposed to support Conroe, they don't need a flash - the initial BIOS for these boards are designed with Conroe support.

Regardless of what other boards in the past have been stated to support but do not, this one DOES. It's not a board that was revised to include Conroe support, it is one that was designed FOR the Conroe.
 
EVERY 965 supports conroe. Most of the 975s need revisions or newer BIOS's to do so.
 
schizo said:
EVERY 965 supports conroe. Most of the 975s need revisions or newer BIOS's to do so.

QFT

And just to make sure you understand, EVERY motherboard with an Intel 965 based chipset will support Core 2 Duo out of the box.
 
Back
Top