Vanilla 6800 - Overclocking experiences + recommendation?

Mav451

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
4,749
Hey guys. I'm figuring this will be the last upgrade for my system until I go to 939 in a year or so.

Anyway, there are a ton of brands, eVGA, Leadtek, MSI, etc.

I'm wondering if people with vanilla 6800's could post their OC's here, as I trying to figure out which card to buy. I'm also kind of considering getting an nV Silencer 5 later, but as I'm a total noob at messing with video cards, I kind of want to avoid that.
 
gainward all the way, guarantteed factory overclock udner warranty and great company, great cooling, they use artic silver under the GPU from the factory...what more can i say
 
Ok thanks for the tip.

I have another question tho...is it loud? I've been wary of the FX series since hearing my friends 5950 (good god it was loud). Most websites fail to mention the decibel levels on video cards.
 
well, if youi get the 2 fan model like me which is in short supply, its loud at first, but when it wears in its like a normal 80mm fan, as for the single slot ones, its a standard centrifugal fan however loud that is
 
I have the BFG two fan model, and it is very quiet under normal operation. When it first starts up it is a bit loud (i would say 40 db plus), but by the time you get into windows it is whisper quiet. My computer is extremely quiet (all volt modded fans), and I can't hear the BFG over them. As far as overclocks go, I am 100% stable at 406/895. 425/900 is the highest I can go, but I experience some ram artifacting after prolonged use, and the oc on the core gives me reduced fps result. I bench about 57 fps at 1600*1200 8xAF with Tri opts on in doom 3 for reference. 3dmark 03 score is in sig (about 11000). Overall I am very pleased with the card, though the bargain comes at the price of a smaller framebuffer.
 
pakotlar said:
I have the BFG two fan model, and it is very quiet under normal operation. When it first starts up it is a bit loud (i would say 40 db plus), but by the time you get into windows it is whisper quiet. My computer is extremely quiet (all volt modded fans), and I can't hear the BFG over them. As far as overclocks go, I am 100% stable at 406/895. 425/900 is the highest I can go, but I experience some ram artifacting after prolonged use, and the oc on the core gives me reduced fps result. I bench about 57 fps at 1600*1200 8xAF with Tri opts on in doom 3 for reference. 3dmark 03 score is in sig (about 11000). Overall I am very pleased with the card, though the bargain comes at the price of a smaller framebuffer.

Ok, just making sure that 2d mode, it is quiet (since I leave it on in my dorm room) ;)

Your OC seems to be pretty good too. I was hoping there'd be a card that did 400/1ghz, but that's probably asking alot haha. 400/900 is just fine though, and you have it under your 24/7 settings, so this looks like a decent ball park estimate.
 
Mav451 said:
Ok, just making sure that 2d mode, it is quiet (since I leave it on in my dorm room) ;)

Your OC seems to be pretty good too. I was hoping there'd be a card that did 400/1ghz, but that's probably asking alot haha. 400/900 is just fine though, and you have it under your 24/7 settings, so this looks like a decent ball park estimate.

The GE that I've got can actually do in excess of 420/1100 (I've been clocked at 442 core)... but with the single slot cooling it just isnt a smart thing to do. :)
 
I just bought the eVGA 6800 and it oc's to 400/900. I am getting 10798 on 3dmark. That's with the stock heatsink polished down and Ceramique compound on it. I am doing a Thermaltake big heatsink mod and will push that higher. This is on a p4 2.4c oc'd to 3.6.
 
Just finished the mod with the Thermaltake and it got me 10915 3dmarks. It only upped the core 15 points. Great thing is my temps dropped from 62 idle to 52 idle and 72 (after 3dmark) to 62. Plus it's a lot quieter since I mounted a 90mm fan on the heatsink. It looks ugly as heck but it does a great job.
 
Mav451 said:
Ok, just making sure that 2d mode, it is quiet (since I leave it on in my dorm room) ;)

Your OC seems to be pretty good too. I was hoping there'd be a card that did 400/1ghz, but that's probably asking alot haha. 400/900 is just fine though, and you have it under your 24/7 settings, so this looks like a decent ball park estimate.

Hey, just to give you an update, it is stable now at 406/888. 891 produced artifacting in doom 3 after 48 hours.

Also, the card is no louder in 3d than in 2d. It is just the initial bootup that it is loud during :).

The ASUS GE's clock much higher than the regular NP's. Pcb, ram, and power draw are all identical to Ultra.
 
Get the gainward 2 slot 6800nu if u can find one.

or else, go for the 1 slot gainward.

or get the leadtek 6800. All these overclock well.

or if u want free games, get the msi or evga. they'v got the best bundles, but 2.8ns ram.
 
Back
Top