vanilla 6800 on athlon xp system

grethor

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 1, 2004
Messages
188
I'm considering a videocard upgrade and was thinking about getting a geforce 6800 ( 12 pipe ). Would a 12 pipe 6800 be heavily bottlenecked by my system? Is that system (see gaming rig in the sig below) even worth a video card upgrade?
 
srry there is no sig to see Unfortunatley.

This week I should have some results up on my site on how a 6800 will preform with an athlon xp 3000+.

But since you probably dont want to wait for that.
I would have to say that a 6800 will be able to play fairlly well on a athlon XP system. The only game that will give you troubles is HL2. It rely's on some massive CPU power. But even so, you still will get good fps on HL2 with settings at 1024x768 w/4xaa, 4xaf. Just during intense Multiplay battle frames will dip below 30 fps. But sometimes that is server dependent.

Get the 6800 and you should enjoy it. My recommendation for a brand would probably be Gigabyte or MSI. Stay away from XFX, eVGA, and PNY.

Their coolers on thier cards are inadequate.
 
I had an xp 2400 and yes it did bottleneck it. Upgraded to an Athlon54 and it literally doubled performance in all my games.

Didn't notice a huge difference with benchmarks but what do they really matter when it comes to REAL games.
 
Back
Top