• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vandal switch wiring? What? Where?

Mekboy

n00b
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
13
Okay, so I had to have one of those keen vandal switches. It's tres swanky, and I can't wait to get it hooked up and glowing at me with it's blue goodness.

But, of course, I have no idea which post to connect to which wire. I've got four screw-top connectors on the switch, and it appears one is marked positive, and the opposite one negative.

I'm going to strip the wires for the power button and the power led to connect to the switch. Four wires, four posts....if I just experiment, am I going to blow something up? Or is there some obvious way to tell which is supposed to connect to which?

-Dave
 
Positive and negative should be the posts for the led in the switch. There is no polarity on a plain switch, so the unmarked ones should be the switch. You could just make a simple tester with a flashlight bulb, wire and a battery. Just wire it up with the switch posts.
 
take two watch batteries, wire them in sequence, and attach two wires to them (i did that, and just simply soldered two wires to them, and coverted the whole thing in shrinkwrap). awesome way to test LEDs - not enough juice to blow anything up or even fry it, either. then just try different combinations of the posts on the bulgins. that's what i did with mine.

then go to bulgun web site and dig around - different vandal switches have differently rated LEDs in them, so you'll want to use different resistors if you have more than one switch (like i do).
 
Thanks guys, I'll test it out tonight.

The nice doc from Frozen doesn't help much, as my switch doesn't have the flat connectors, it's got four equally-spaced screw terminals.

I'm remaking the front of a PC-42, thanks to those wonderful folks at Front Panel Express.

-Dave
 
Back
Top