Van Helsing - ARPG

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
Shortened the ridiculously long full title from "The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing" :rolleyes:

Anyone been keeping an eye on this one? Looks like it could be a fairly decent addition to the plethora of Diablo clones out there.

Gameplay trailer

Never heard of it. UI looks poorly designed, but everything else looks better than I would have thought.

game comes out on Tuesday 5/22, I have a friend that's in beta and have to say I'm pretty damn impressed as it's only a $15 title

I picked the beta; it's pretty good but the last patch broke everything - also it will be short. The beta is the first act which is only 3 or 4 hours and there are 3 acts (grim dawn's first act is closer to 10 hours). However while the game is short it is (so far) fairly high quality. It doesn't have any puzzles but it is a bit more questy than grim dawn.

Looks all right, but unless I hear glowing reviews, it won't pull me away from PoE.

Too many other arpgs that are better coming out or are already out

Because gamers should only play the best of the best, right? You are part of the cancer killing anything that was once enjoyable about video games.

Because gamers should only play the best of the best, right? You are part of the cancer killing anything that was once enjoyable about video games.

I don't think he said any of that. And he is right.

With games like Path of Exile, Torchlight 2 and the upcoming Grim Dawn, there is no reason other than being a huge fan of Van Helsing to play this game. It looks very clunky and it appears to me that whoever made it is just trying to cash in on whats popular right now.

If anything, that is the cancer that is killing video games at the moment, Uninspired cookie cutter garbage ala Diablo 3.

I think you're part of the cancer, shitting your pants and attacking someone because they are not interested in playing a game.

There's always room for more aRPG in my books. Hell, I even go back and play old skool ones like Darkstone occasionally. They may all share a similar formula, but I like the slight variations in gameplay mechanics.

Character progression trailer

Last edited:
Great fucking game for $13, yeah it's a little rough around the edges but the skill tree, dialogue and atmosphere are great.

I'll be honest. I'm very interested but am worried that its also a console game.

You can never have too many arpgs imo.

I'm not sure how you are juding which game is better. Having played the beta I found this game to be better than torch light 2; it is a *lot* shorter but I think the skill trees are more interesting and the rpg aspect better done. I rather play a shorter game with a bit more punch (I played through torchlight 2 1.5 times and after that was bored stiff with it; I played tianquest about a dozen times to put things in perspective).
-
Anyways i'm not saying this is the greatest arpg ever and I do consider the length to be a negative (though once all three are finished it might be accept length if they can maintain the quality).
-
Having said that the videos from the grim dawn alpha makes it look like the best of the lot. They arem oving very slowly but seem to be doing a fantastic job.
-
Oh btw I found nothing abuot the game to be 'console'; the pc interface is extermely pc'ish. No clue how it plays on a console.

2 deal breakers I've heard of so far - non functional co-op, and absurd mob spam with poor crowd control (maybe just noobs with no strategy). but other than that it's being pegged as the best parts of diablo and torchlight in one game so, this might turn out to be one isometric rpg I would actually play all the way through. really how can you go wrong for $15.

Did they patch CO-OP yet? Tried playing last night and was having a ton of fun with my nephew then I got kicked and was level one again. 2 hours down the drain.

I feel like a purchase of this + Grim Dawn $50 package for alpha/beta are in my near future.

Took 4 hours to kill the last boss for me.

Considering 3 available classes atm, with dual spec, that's ALOT of gameplay value.

Worth it.

(in the end, 5 classes)

Damn, that looks really nice, but I'm getting arpg overload. I was playing marvel superheroes for a month or so, TL2 before that, back to playing PoE now, and I have GD already pre-ordered. I don't think my hand can take much more clicking, I'm seriously starting to get arthritis.

Only for hours long though...hmmm...

If this is a $15 title then I am a bit impressed with it. Doesn't look bad at all. How does the interface look clunky? Because it has more than a few buttons? So many derps.

Bit this morning. I've been playing a lot of TL2 in the past couple of weeks so I am looking forward to doing some comparing and contrasting between the two.

Went ahead and bought it for 13 and some change. Doubt anyone can go wrong at that price.

I bit. It's ok. It has some Diabloesque type play. Good enough to waste time on once in awhile.
Bored with PoE and Neverwinter for the moment.

Ive played for about 5-6 hours today so far.....it's definitely worth $13. I consider 1 dollar per hour a good investment so if I can get another days worth of enjoyment out of it I call that a success :-P

Hmm. This game still has technical problems. They are mostly annoying things, but some are game breaking such as host d/c and you lose the character you're playing. Game is fun though so I'll hold judgement on it for now.

Most of the major bugs are with multi-players (which was not tested during beta). As far as I know there are no major bugs with single player (a few minor glitches or unusual situations).

Most of the major bugs are with multi-players (which was not tested during beta). As far as I know there are no major bugs with single player (a few minor glitches or unusual situations).

Yes, and multiplayer is all that I play nowadays with my family and friends. That's the only reason my nephew gifted it to me so we could play together. I wish there was a disclosure on the Steam purchase page that said "multiplayer is a work in progress". In 4 hours of game play I have 0 characters and 19 achievements because I keep losing them when my nephew's client crashes. And because I have to make a new character each time he can't play with me due to us being on different quests. So he has to make a new character also. And start from the beginning.

I'm not angry; just a bit let down. I have good patience so I can wait it out until the issue is fixed. Game does seem fun though.

Back