Vampire:-The-Masquerade?

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking around Direct2Drive and I saw Vampire:-The-Masquerade and remembered a friend told me it was pretty cool a long time ago. I noticed it was made on the HL2 engine and figured I would ask if anyone else has played this and/or liked it. Anyone have any input?

thumbs up.

just patch the damn thing first.

you might not get into it at the beginning, but give it awhile. it's good.

It’s an excellent game. The only bad thing about the game is that it loads every time you enter or exit any building. It tends to get annoying as you have a lotta buildings to enter.

ah, you must be talking about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Great game, like said before PATCH... it's buggy but awesome.

Excellent and unfortunatly the last rpg from the great Troika, highly recommend it.

The rpg side of the game is damn fun (Character interaction/quests/storyline, etc) however the combat side is a bit "meh" imo, do go into it expecting an awesome shooter/melee combat game and you'll be fine. Melee combat is generally better then guns and such.

Yeah, I do remember my friend telling me there are allot of load times. Which is one of the reasons I didnt like Deus Ex 2 as much as the first one, too much loading.
I wasnt too worried about the combat a huge amount, I remember hearing how allot of people played it for the role playing before they made a video game out of it. I just wanted to try it out since I wanted to play some kind of Vampire game and it looks pretty cool.

Downloading now, not sure if the D2D is patched so I am downloading that also. Thanks for the recommendations.

Quick question. Which patch should I use, the 1.2 official or the 3.2 unofficial?

Occidio said:
Downloading now, not sure if the D2D is patched so I am downloading that also. Thanks for the recommendations.
Every "older" game I've purchased from Direct2Drive has been Prepatched. You shold be good to go....

agreed, definately check it out. awesome atmosphere and storyline.

the previous statement about the great game, characters, and plot combined with so-so combat was quite true. other than that, though, its one of the better PC rpg's i've played, which is admittedly not THAT many.

edit: oh, and some of the high level blood magic fucking ROCKS!

Mindriot said:
Every "older" game I've purchased from Direct2Drive has been Prepatched. You shold be good to go....
That much I have found to be true. Although in the case of this game the 3.2 patch was not official and I did have to install that, although it was just some added folders and not an install executable. It said the 1.2 was already installed.

I would have to say it's simply the best game I've played in a looooooooooooooooooooo x 10³ ng time. It's amazing. The characters are great, well developed, they have personality. Graphical quality is great too, it has it's own visual style. The interface is easy to get used to.

The quests are interesting, not like many rpg's out there where you are anxious to finish a quest just to get rid of it. Atmosphere is perfect and the great soundtrack makes it even better.

I got this game this year and never finished it because I didn't have enough free time. I found it interesting when I saw this thread because yesterday I reinstalled it :rolleyes: .

And as others have said, install the official patch at all costs and the 3.2 unofficial patch. I only with there were more games like this one on the market.

Buggygame, but good. Load times do suck a lot. A lot of interesting things to do, great characters, and the combat system is kinda fun.

However, the game got real boring once you get into the sewer crawl. It's way to freaking long! :mad: You shouldn't have to go through that many levels of sewer to get to the next part of the main quest, plus ther'es a freaking annoying puzzle down there you have to solve just to get to another area. I tried to beat it for an hour and a half before I finally just ghosted my way to teh next level.

Oh yeah, haunted house is awesome :p

A word of warning, but I know some D2D games (usually single player ones) Require specific D2D only patches and you can't use the normal/unoffical patches with them.

Not sure if V:TMB is one of them, but you might want to make sure.

CreganTur said:
plus ther'es a freaking annoying puzzle down there you have to solve just to get to another area. I tried to beat it for an hour and a half before I finally just ghosted my way to teh next level.

Oh yeah, haunted house is awesome :p

What puzzle?

Seelenlos said:
What puzzle?

I guess puzzle isn't the best word for it- it's when you ahve to adjust the waterflow so you can swim through the pipes to get to the next level. I just hated that one because it would keep pushing me down the wrong branch of pipe.

Bloodlines is a good game. Have to finish it though, and the haunted house as was said is one of the best parts of the game for me so far.
Been playing no one lives forever 2 so i can actually finish it. Humorous game imho and fun still.

CreganTur said:
I guess puzzle isn't the best word for it- it's when you ahve to adjust the waterflow so you can swim through the pipes to get to the next level. I just hated that one because it would keep pushing me down the wrong branch of pipe.

ah ok, yeah that one annoyed me for a bit until i got the timing down.

Must agree the haunted house was very well done.
Do like how there were a lot of ways to get around things by using the various skills and not just all out combat...till the last levels at any rate, my only compliant really.

AdamNesvick said:
Bet yall $5 he plays a malkavian female and stares up her dress for hours on end :D
Actually I am playing the Tremore? Not sure on spelling right now. I did the answer questions to see what I should be thing. After I saw this I started a new temp game to see what you were reffering too. Hah, yeah I can see alot of people doing that. Is there anyway to change your outfit later on?

Well, i only played Vampire: the Masquerade: Redemption, which is about 2 years older, but its great, actually, it's fantastic. I was sitting in front of my screen for like 6 hours! I definetely love the game, it has great graphics (greast comparing to other games from 2001.!), great storyline and a variety of weapons. I'ts been bugging me too, but not too much. When i get this new PC, i'm definetly going to buy myself Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines! :D :cool: ;)

I've always liked the Tremere. Malkavians are fun, but maybe not the best choice if it's your first time playing.

And like everyone else, I loved the game, but it was buggy.

Occidio said:
Is there anyway to change your outfit later on?
As I recall, there are three levels of "armor" (provides protection, but looks like normal clothes mostly), and each time you get a new one your clothes are different.

I don't think you could actually get any outfit you want like Hitman or something though unfortunately.

actually i liked the malk. gives extra dialog options for 'insight' stuff. it's quite amusing.

Nate_MachV said:
g'damnit, now I'm feeling the need to reinstall the game.
I hear ya. I spent an entire summer playing that game. It's been a while but reading this thread is giving me the itch to start a new character.....

Another thumbs up for a great game :)

Just downloaded this game last night. Pretty cool so far even though I have only played for about 20 minutes. I forgot to load the patches so I will load them tonight. Again, so far its cool. I platyed the game before this one and loved it, so hopefully this one will suck(pun intended) me in to.

mmmm ok so its good and buggy. whats so buggy about it? does it crash alot ? I want to get this game becuase i loved the frist one so much. The frist one was bad ass

man i just started playin it and WOW, playing a vampire is freakin awesome. im at the Haunted Mansion part, just got crushed by that elevator thing XD i cant believe i missed this game...

Ron1jed said:
mmmm ok so its good and buggy. whats so buggy about it? does it crash alot ? I want to get this game becuase i loved the frist one so much. The frist one was bad ass
I think most of them have been patched by now, but when the game first came out I experienced lots of physics glitches. Some of the glitches were bodies floating in the air, people stuck in doors, someone stuck half way into the ground, and it was easy to get impossibly stuck in corners and near complex objects. Corners were more dangerous than boss monsters. There was even a couple of spots in the game that crashed for some people everytime and they couldn't go on until a patch came out.

The only remaining bug as far as I remember is the infamous memory leak, which will slow down the gameplay a bit over time. Other than that, it never crashed nor did I have broken quests or the like.

Back