Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines problem

polydiol

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys

I picked up the game yesterday and when I launch it I get black screen that says:

Signal Frequency out of range

FH 98.3
FV 150.5

Please change signal timing

and to get out of that I have to end up hitting the reset button on my comp. I'm running at 1280x1024 85hz and I've got the 66.93 drivers for my video card.

any suggestions?

try changing the monitor refresh rate to 75Hz. could be the game has a problem with you running your monitor at 85Hz but i could be wrong. at this point you might as well exhaust any options you come across. GL with this. :D

Like dirty ape said, change your screen refresh rate.

According to activisions tech support (I had this same problem) you need to make this change via DXDiag. Specifically (c&p from activision)

You will need to manually set the refresh rate for the game on your system.
1) Click on the Start button > Run.
2) In the box type: dxdiag
3) Click the OK button.
4) DirectX Diagnostic Tool will open
5) Click on the "More Help" tab
6) Click on the Override button
7) Select "Override Value" and enter a value in the box that your monitor can support, then click ok
8) Exit the dxdiag via the exit button at the bottom or the x in the upper right hand corner

# At this point the game will be launching with the refresh rate you specified. This change will affect all direct3d games on your system, so you may wish to revert the override option back to "default" in between game sessions.

# This can also happen if your computer does not support the default resolution the game is attempting to launch in. You will need to manually set the resolution for the game to one of the resolutions supported by your monitor.

The game supports the following resolutions:
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024
1600x1200

This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1) Click Start button > Run.
2) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
3) Click on the plus next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
4) Click on the plus next to SOFTWARE
5) Click on the plus next to Troika
6) Click on the plus next to Vampire
7) Highlight Settings on the left
8) On the right right-click on the ScreenHeight and select modify
9) Make sure the base is set to Decimal instead of Hexadecimal
10) Enter the value for the screen height (this is the second of the two numbers, so if you wanted 1280x1024 you would enter 1024 here)
11) Click on OK
12) On the right right-click on the ScreenWidth and select modify
13) Make sure the base is set to Decimal instead of Hexadecimal
14) Enter the value for the screen width (this is the first of the two numbers, so if you wanted 1280x1024 you would enter 1280 here)
15) Click on OK
16) Exit the registry editor

Your game should launch with the resolution you specified. Make sure you pick a resolution you know your monitor supports. If you try a resolution that the game does not support it will force you into one of the modes the game does support.

# If you are not sure what resolutions and/or refresh rates your monitor support please contact your system manufacturer or monitor manufacturer for assistance in determining this information.

Ok thanks!

I saw that resolution on the Activision website and I initially thought it was a workaround that was somewhat of a pain in the butt and I sent an email to their tech support as well as tried different drivers and resolutions so I'll see what they say. I guess if I had to do the dxdiag resolution then so be it but I was just wondering if anybody had an easier workaround.

Back