Valve's Record Breaking (again) $9.5Million prize for Ti4

Azuresnow

n00b
Any thoughts on this? I am an avid dota 2 player, and I am just mind blown on how valve structured this crowdfunded tournament.

It's just a win win for valve and the dota players and the dota teams. Valve gets tons of money and all of the attention that this is drawing brings in more players which means more money. The players get more game features and more attention from valve for the game they play. The teams get a crack at a massive prize pool. I've been hearing a lot of buzz from LoL playing frients who are starting to realize that there is another moba out there. In fact, I just played with some noob last night who was blown away by the fact that dota 2 looks so much better than LoL, and thanks to the steam community market you can get cosmetic items for just pennies. Anyway, I'm straying off topic, but yeah, free to play games can definitely generate some profit.

I'm not saying being hunched over the computer and wasting your youth is a good idea.
But for 9.5 million you could ditch the dumb game and buy yourself a island instead.

I'm super excited to be going to seattle this year for Ti4. I feel like this game is changing the E-sports scene in the future.

I'm super excited to be going to seattle this year for Ti4. I feel like this game is changing the E-sports scene in the future.

I actually had this talk with my wife ..... I gave up professional gaming 10 years ago. I was up and coming but the costs + risk = I let my degree earn my money. I do think in 10-15 years some gaming events will have more viewers than some sports events.

What if they have different ladders for older players? Like it would be nice to compete but with school and family and shit man I just do not have the time, plus as you get older reaction times and shit diminish. Wish I could play online games with with older people. Played CoD with my 7 year old nephew aside from the fact FPS should never be played on a console I could not keep track of 1/2 of the TV screen with what was going on. /old

Funny, cause i thought LoL looked better than Dota 2, Dota 2 looked too.....flat for me.

I do wish i was born like 10 years later so i could of used my younger gaming skills to make some mad money!

Back