Valve's Multi-Core Source Engine

HighwayAssassins

Supreme [H]ardness
Just read up a little on valve and what direction they are taking the source engine with respect to multi-core CPU's. They say dual core is good, quad core is excelent. In fact, Gabe Newell said that they have been putting off buying new hardware to wait for kentsfield.

I have been really excited for valve to implement multi-core support into Half-Life games, eagerly anticipating Episode 2 (Cinematic Physics anyone?). Now I cant wait. The articles said we will be getting multi-core support in episode 1 before episode 2 comes out, and the multi-core benchmark should be out in the next few weeks.

I just hope that with all valve's excitement over quad core, all of us who just upgraded to dual core dont get left in the cold. :(

Check out some videos (thanks bit-tech)

Source Multi-threaded demo 1
Source Multi-threaded demo 2

Check out some links:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2050558,00.asp
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/11/02/Multi_core_in_the_Source_Engin/1.html

Some stolen pictures (re-hosted of course)

benchmarkqt4.png

hl7lw9.jpg

I'd appreciate them fixing the stuttering issue with Episode One first, its very annoying.

wee96 said:
I'd appreciate them fixing the stuttering issue with Episode One first, its very annoying.
yea, I cant believe it is still a problem. Its also in all source games period. It must be a problem ingrained in the engine that they cant fix, because its just rediculous.

I'm no expert but it seems to be a sound issue... perhaps when they mention that 'Sound can be put onto its own seperate core' they are hopefully finding a way to deal with the stutter.

now all we need is for nvidia to release an 8800gtx4 and we can have a true 4x4 system lol

silentsammy said:
I'm no expert but it seems to be a sound issue... perhaps when they mention that 'Sound can be put onto its own seperate core' they are hopefully finding a way to deal with the stutter.

Its a caching issue, the source engine has a crappy cache type system that always fills up then refreshes, causing stuttering. Its terrible, even with my 7900GT's in sli it stutters like hell. I like the game, but I can't put up with the stuttering.

Huh, using the computer in my signature, I have never seen stuttering in HL2:E1.

HighwayAssassins said:
yea, I cant believe it is still a problem. Its also in all source games period. It must be a problem ingrained in the engine that they cant fix, because its just rediculous.

i used to get it, then i got a WD Raptor HD and it fixed the problem.. but true, they should fix it already

Back