Valve Wants You To Mod The Steam Controller

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve wants you to mod the Steam Controller. I'm not kidding. They are making the geometry of all externally visible parts of the Steam Controller available under Creative Commons licensing so you can tinker with it all you want.

We are releasing the mechanical CAD geometry for the Steam Controller and are eager to see the accessories and variations that come from your creativity. We are making available, under Creative Commons licensing, the geometry of all externally visible parts. This allows you to create and share to your heart’s content, but you’ll need to get in touch with Valve if you want to sell your creations.

Somebody remove the left haptic pad, place the analogue there, and put a proper dpad where the current analogue is.

Maybe enlarge the face buttons if there's space or just put to larger action buttons Ala GameCube controller.

Somebody remove the left haptic pad, place the analogue there, and put a proper dpad where the current analogue is.

Maybe enlarge the face buttons if there's space or just put to larger action buttons Ala GameCube controller.

Just buy an Xbox One controller. Seriously, that's what you want. If you don't want to give Microsoft any money then buy a 3rd party one.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Oh Valve, stick to making the best games and leave the hardware to others.

Wait, I guess they are leaving the hardware design up to others by essentially crowd-sourcing R&D for the next iteration the controller.

Just buy an Xbox One controller. Seriously, that's what you want. If you don't want to give Microsoft any money then buy a 3rd party one.
XB1 controller is perfect for my hands XB1 might not be the best console in execution but their controller is quite nice.

Last edited:
I would add some concentric rings to the touchpads to help better find center, and make the rear paddles split to get 4 paddles on the back.

I love my Steam Controller, It is excellent for driving and flying games. Of you want an XBone controller just go buy one. I have my 360 on standby, but have not used it since I got the Steam Controller.

But that haptic pad feels perfect to me for mouse look and cursor based games. I love the feel of the shoulder buttons (the grip buttons I still need to get used to). Seriously, they place the analogue button where the left haptic is, put a d-pad on the face, and enlarge those face buttons (two larger action buttons would probably be enough for most 2D scrollers, tbh) and the controller would be great.

I've had my Steam Controller since Thanksgiving - it's not my joystick I use the most, but still like it. I have the Steam Controller and a SteamLink being used with my projection system. Rocket Ball is awesome this way. Gotta say, I'm really not play games that use the haptic on the device.
Kudos to Valve to make modding it easier.

This must be confirmation of Half Life 3!! ;-)

How's Rocket League on the ol' steam controller? I haven't had a chance to try one yet.

Oh Valve, stick to making the best games and leave the hardware to others.

Wait, I guess they are leaving the hardware design up to others by essentially crowd-sourcing R&D for the next iteration the controller.

Had to state the obvious - best games? In 2008? Valve is a software distribution company.

Been using mine since Christmas and I don't get the hate. I'm posting with it right now even.

The Steam controller is an awesome design - once you get used to it. I remember it like switching from a Sega Saturn or SNES type controller to the melee weapon that was the first XBOX controller. The thing was like playing with a size 11 shoe filled with sand in comparison. Or the Playstation controller compared to the Silver age of game consoles where it seemed like a billion extra buttons.

However the next iteration of the controller people loved, as well as the evolution of the PSx controller. Once you get used to it being just a new type of controller, it feels "right" for PC based games.

Back