Valve VR leader joins Oculus R&D

Well, I'm glad Valve isn't trying to do their own VR goggles... they certainly have enough distractions keeping them from making the product most people seem to be asking for from them...

As for "Carmack's when it's done approach", I think the dude gets stuff done quick and it's the designer/artists at id that eat up the most amount of time. Valve time also suffers from that and/or lack of confidence... not one guy who was working on VR tech.

The biggest issue is time. Certainly these guys can push to get things into our hands earlier than if they didn't try as hard, but at a certain point the tech will be fast and cheap enough to start flooding games with polygons willy-nilly.

Patience.... with gabe involved i could freeze my self, wake up in the year 3000, and gabe's head in a jar would still be trolling us on its release.

Every attempt at consumer home VR in the past has failed because the solutions were not absolutely perfect. When you say 'Virtual Reality' the average person expects, not the visuals, but the feel to be true to life 100%. There's absolutely no middle ground.

The devs know this very well, hence the extensive time now being spent refining it to perfection.

I'm sure it'll launch with a bang and be a game changer. It'll be the next 'killer app' that re-invigorates the currently stagnant VGA market.

I just want the devkit 2 to go public so I can grab one. I've got the current one and want a second for co-op, but I'm waiting for new hardware.

IMHO, the main holdup is display tech right now. They need a display manufacturer that can and will make the panel in quantity at the right price.

IMHO, the main holdup is display tech right now. They need a display manufacturer that can and will make the panel in quantity at the right price.

Absolutely. Proper display will also solve a wide variety of other issues the Rift has been experiencing aside from increasing image quality.

On a side note I think this is a smart move by Valve. Valve has the resources to back a project like this without making a huge investment and they're getting their share before this thing goes (hopefully) viral.

Back