valve teases steam games on the mac

Hmmm... Well, if for some reason you're stuck to OSX, this should be cool. I'd like to see how a ported game compares (especially with the lack of DirectX)

On the other hand... x86 only :rolleyes::D No love for PPC anymore. On the other hand, I dunno how my G5 would handle something like Half-Life without bringing its fans up to rendering speed.

I'm pumped about this. If Steam on OSX does well then it might prompt Apple to start putting proper video cards in their machines. Or maybe we will see "Gamer" versions of the iMac and the Macbook Pro?

I'm pumped about this. If Steam on OSX does well then it might prompt Apple to start putting proper video cards in their machines. Or maybe we will see "Gamer" versions of the iMac and the Macbook Pro?

MBP I doubt, there's some serious battery, power, and cooling concerns for making that into a real gaming system.

On a side note, god damn it. I switch to Mac as a way for me to quit video gaming, and this is what happens. :mad:

Last edited:

Not a chance, won't happen. Normal PC builders can hardly be bothered to put proper hardware into their computers, and I'm not expecting Apple to do the same with their mainstream lines. That's why I build my own gaming PCs.

That said, most mid-range and high end Macs are able to run most games quite well. My two year old Macbook Pro can run Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 perfectly. It'll run Starcraft 2 great when it comes out in a few months. This is a two year old machine, so the current and upcoming MBPs will play them even better.

Look at the stats from the Steam hardware survey. I suspect that a big reason why Valve finally comitted to OS X development is that a good chunk of Macs (Macbook Pros and mid to high end iMacs) are well above the spec of most PCs that are surveyed. Being able to enter an open market in OS X like they did with Windows in 2003 is one thing, but the hardware also needs to be able to support it in order for it to make sense.

Either way, Valve is finally joining Blizzard, the other major proponent for PC gaming, on OS X. No more Boot Camp for me! :D

MBP I doubt, there's some serious battery, power, and cooling concerns for making that into a real gaming system.

MBPs have been very capable gaming systems for years now. I run Left 4 Dead 2, TF2, and Street Fighter 4 on a two year old MBP (2.6ghz C2D with 8600M GT) with no problems.

MBPs have been very capable gaming systems for years now. I run Left 4 Dead 2, TF2, and Street Fighter 4 on a two year old MBP (2.6ghz C2D with 8600M GT) with no problems.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. the mbp is pretty high on the list as far as gaming performance and portability go.

The MBP 13 is junk for gaming with no dedicated GPU. Hell my 1.6GHz C2D CULV tm2 Tablet PC will kick the snot out of it with its dedicated HD 4550 GPU. The 15 and 17 are pretty decent but for the money there are better performing PC laptops.

While gaming on laptops is cool it just doesn't do it for me. The rig plan to build this month when Fermi comes out will have an i7-980x, 3 GTX 480s, 12 GB RAM and three 24" monitors. Now THAT'S gaming!:D

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I wonder if Mac and PC gamers will be able to play together online in TF2 assuming Valve will be porting it over to the Mac.

It already runs pretty well under Wine according to one of my friends.

The 15 and 17 are pretty decent but for the money there are better performing PC laptops.

None of which you could pay me to buy, but that's another discussion. ;)

While gaming on laptops is cool it just doesn't do it for me.

I don't do it that much, but I do travel for work often and its a nice thing to have in my back pocket when I'm on the road and I'm bored. If I still went to LAN parties then it would be a no-brainer. Why drag a huge desktop and monitor when you can get awesome performance in a little 5lb laptop?

The rig plan to build this month when Fermi comes out will have an i7-980x, 3 GTX 480s, 12 GB RAM and three 24" monitors. Now THAT'S gaming!:D

Not to mention expensive as fuck. ;) I hope I'm not getting you confused with someone else, but aren't you the guy that says he isn't into multiplayer gaming? :)

Last edited:
It already runs pretty well under Wine according to one of my friends.

Those games run great period, on old hardware no less. All it needs it Valve's stamp of approval and Steam and they're off to the races.

So smart, they got into Windows digital distribution early and now they're going to be the dominant force on OS X.

None of which you could pay me to buy, but that's another discussion. ;)

I KNOW you love MBPs but why pay more for slower gaming performance? Better build quality I guess?

I don't do it that much, but I do travel for work often and its a nice thing to have in my back pocket when I'm on the road and I'm bored. If I still went to LAN parties then it would be a no-brainer. Why drag a huge desktop and monitor when you can get awesome performance in a little 5lb laptop?

Couldn't agree more!

Not to mention expensive as fuck. ;) I hope I'm not getting you confused with someone else, but aren't you the guy that says he isn't into multiplayer gaming? :)

Wow, good memory! No I'm not much of a multiplayer gaming type but there's PLENTY of single player content for me and I just like hella powerful computers.

Honestly I've not felt that Macs are all that expensive or interesting for years simply because there is WAY more expensive and interesting hardware out there.

Those games run great period, on old hardware no less. All it needs it Valve's stamp of approval and Steam and they're off to the races.

So smart, they got into Windows digital distribution early and now they're going to be the dominant force on OS X.

Hasn't D2D been doing Mac games for years now? Steam is better but I really don't see how this is going to spark Mac gaming, at least not beyond anything Valve ports. And with all of the concerns over PC game piracy, and piracy is just as big of an issue on a Mac, I don't see publishers dying to jump on board with this, especially since there's no console analog like the PC has in the form of the Xbox. There's a lot more work devs will have to put into a Mac game for a much smaller market than even the PC game market.

But for Valve at least I imagine that this will make them a bit of cash.:)

I KNOW you love MBPs but why pay more for slower gaming performance? Better build quality I guess?

Battery life, size, weight, multitouch trackpad with gestures, excellent airline seat and international power adapters, motion and light sensors, best keyboard this side of a Lenovo, full hardware/OS integration, and excellent gaming performance on top of everything. It all adds up, great package.

Wow, good memory! No I'm not much of a multiplayer gaming type but there's PLENTY of single player content for me and I just like hella powerful computers.

I only remember because it struck me as so interesting. Most people that are into PC gaming are heavily into multiplayer. I mainly do multi on PC and save the single player for my consoles and home theater. Given that you throw more money into your rigs than anyone that I've seen, it struck me as really different that you don't really do multiplayer gaming, especially since cranking out more performance is especailly important when competing with other people. That's cool though. :)

Hasn't D2D been doing Mac games for years now?

Yes, but D2D has also been available on Windows for years and I haven't used it on that either. I'm not interested in anything but Steam at this point. IMHO it is the best distribution platform out there, and I think that it has the potential to succeed in other places where D2D hasn't, just like it did with Windows.

Steam is better but I really don't see how this is going to spark Mac gaming, at least not beyond anything Valve ports. And with all of the concerns over PC game piracy, and piracy is just as big of an issue on a Mac, I don't see publishers dying to jump on board with this.

The same arguments can be used against Steam on Windows. It ended up working out despite piracy and despite the fact that it was, at least initially, primarily a means to distribute Valve's own games. I don't see any reason why the same business plan can't work on other operating systems.

There's a lot more work devs will have to put into a Mac game for a much smaller market than even the PC game market.

A Mac gaming market of some sort is clearly still there. Even if everything doesn't end up on OS X, and it won't, there is already a huge library of games that still gets published for the Mac. EA does native ports of their own games (Dragon Age, etc), id has been doing Mac ports since before OS X even existed (I still remember when the Q3Test game out on the Mac ages before the Windows version dropped), same with Blizzard and their concurrent Windows/Mac releases. Loads of indie developers and companies like PopCap also release games on both platforms.

The library isn't as big as it is on Windows, but Valve shouldn't have any problems filling up their OS X store with games from the same publishers and developers that they partner with now, especially since it has proven to be such an easy way to sell software in the past. What publisher wouldn't want to open up further to a market that they already serve with games that they already port?

But for Valve at least I imagine that this will make them a bit of cash.:)

Yeah, that's really the point. Even if it isn't a huge hit now, the important thing is looking out three, five, ten years in the future, and that they're establishing a foothold right now. There is no dominant game distribution platform for the Mac right now, much like there was no dominant game distribution platform for Windows when Steam launched in 2003. If they can get their foot in on the ground floor on a platform that continues to accelerate in its growth, that's huge revenue potential down the road, and that's even if Steam's main downloads are just Valve games and casual stuff like PopCap. :)

Not a chance, won't happen. Normal PC builders can hardly be bothered to put proper hardware into their computers, and I'm not expecting Apple to do the same with their mainstream lines. That's why I build my own gaming PCs.

That said, most mid-range and high end Macs are able to run most games quite well. My two year old Macbook Pro can run Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 perfectly. It'll run Starcraft 2 great when it comes out in a few months. This is a two year old machine, so the current and upcoming MBPs will play them even better.

Look at the stats from the Steam hardware survey. I suspect that a big reason why Valve finally comitted to OS X development is that a good chunk of Macs (Macbook Pros and mid to high end iMacs) are well above the spec of most PCs that are surveyed. Being able to enter an open market in OS X like they did with Windows in 2003 is one thing, but the hardware also needs to be able to support it in order for it to make sense.

Either way, Valve is finally joining Blizzard, the other major proponent for PC gaming, on OS X. No more Boot Camp for me! :D

A guy can dream right? But I understand what you are saying. I've been pretty impressed with my iMac's performance running Dragon Age (bootcamp). Source I doubt wouldn't be too much of a problem for it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I wonder if Mac and PC gamers will be able to play together online in TF2 assuming Valve will be porting it over to the Mac.
Why wouldn't they be? It'd be a boneheaded move to not allow them to work together.

this. is. fucking. awesome. If CS:S makes it to OSX then I literally have no more need for dual-booting.
I'm assuming that all Source-powered Valve-developed games are going to be making the move. What I'm wondering is this: will we need to buy Mac-specific versions if we already own the PC version?

Hasn't D2D been doing Mac games for years now? Steam is better but I really don't see how this is going to spark Mac gaming, at least not beyond anything Valve ports.
Valve seems to understand the importance of marketing. The way they're building an interest is, from a marketing perspective, elegantly executed. There's the existing interest and there's the interest you can create via an effective marketing campaign, and that's what Valve's kicking into gear right now. It's generating a pretty impressive amount of excitement despite the current campaign only being six reasonably simple images distributed to six websites -- never saw anything like that from D2D.

I actually had no idea D2D offered Mac games. Perhaps if they had told me about it in some way (via marketing), I would have known about it.

Like Serpico, though, I don't want to use any digital distribution platform other than Steam (and of course GOG.com). It's "nice" that D2D offers Mac games, but I have no real interest in utilizing their service. Steam, however, will be going on my mini.

Like Serpico, though, I don't want to use any digital distribution platform other than Steam (and of course GOG.com). It's "nice" that D2D offers Mac games, but I have no real interest in utilizing their service. Steam, however, will be going on my mini.

I actually understand and agree with this as its easier to have everything in one place but I have used D2D and Impulse when they would have a game on sale or Steam didn't have it at all.

Like Serpico, though, I don't want to use any digital distribution platform other than Steam (and of course GOG.com).

Yes, GOG is also great. I've only used it for two games but its really nice. Different type of service since it isn't "always on", they don't do the autopatching, and there is no DRM, but its really nice.

I like that GOG takes it upon themselves to ensure compatibility with recent Windows releases. This is a huge plus. Steam on the other hand leaves it up to the publishers. I haven't had a problem with that but I've read several cases where a classic game bought through Steam didn't work properly out of the gate.

Gordon Freeman sporting an Apple on his chest... I think that's a sign of the apocalypse

Valve really needs to release Episode 3 already, it's been sooo long since 2.

Gordon Freeman sporting an Apple on his chest... I think that's a sign of the apocalypse

Valve really needs to release Episode 3 already, it's been sooo long since 2.

Valve seems to have forgotten that the point of episodic gaming is to 1: release more games 2: quicker 3: at a cheaper price. They got 1 and 3 right but whiffed on 2.

Still, it seems like there's some HL2E3 material planted in the Portal 2 material being circulated about, so it seems we're going to get Ep 3 this year. I hope.

Valve seems to have forgotten that the point of episodic gaming is to 1: release more games 2: quicker 3: at a cheaper price. They got 1 and 3 right but whiffed on 2.

Still, it seems like there's some HL2E3 material planted in the Portal 2 material being circulated about, so it seems we're going to get Ep 3 this year. I hope.

Valve themselves admitted that they made a mistake with the naming convention by calling them "episodes", and that they were way way too optimistic in thinking that they could crank them out every year.

20/20 hindsight, etc. In the end I think they were successful in terms of their design goals by making shorter games and iterating on gameplay and technology in between releases instead of making a single huge game in the same amount of time. They can see what gameplay elements worked and what didn't work based on direct player feedback, and then roll improvements into the following game. I feel that every HL2 installment has been a significant improvement on the prior, and this is because of the lessons they learned by making shorter games with faster turnaround time.

I expect that Episode 3 will make my head explode from its awesomeness.

In any case, I only fault Valve for improper wording by calling these games "episodes", and even they say that was a mistake.

The MBP 13 is junk for gaming with no dedicated GPU.

When it comes to games, no one considered a computer with shared gpu as a "gaming machine". So there's not need to fret over that.

I expect that Episode 3 will make my head explode from its awesomeness.

Hopefully it will but the Source engine is looking DATED. Hopefully they'll have a new engine for E3. After this amount of time anything would be disappointing to me.

Hopefully it will but the Source engine is looking DATED. Hopefully they'll have a new engine for E3. After this amount of time anything would be disappointing to me.

I dunno, whatever deficiencies are in the engine are usually made up for by the art direction and how captivating the gameplay is. I dunno, I still get lost in the whole thing when I play it so I'm cool.

I'd also be pretty surprised if there wasn't some improvement in Source for Episode 3. The difference between Half Life 2 (pre-insertion of bloom after Episode 1 came out) and Episode 2 is pretty big if you compare them side by side. I'd hope that with three years in between games (assuming Ep3 comes out in 2010) that there's a visual boost somewhere.

I have to say, the degree of emphasis on graphics over gameplay these days is alarming. I think L4D2 looks fantastic, myself, and the performance is very solid. Even Half-Life 2 still looks fairly solid to me.

No, no Valve game ever made hits all those Crysis checkboxes. But when I can rock a solid 60fps in L4D2 with 4xAA/16xAF on a lowly 8800 Ultra, and I'm lucky to get half that in Crysis without any antialiasing and maybe 4xAF, I come to the realization that I don't even care about what visual features I'm missing out on because the fluid (and fun) gaming experience of L4D2 is infinitely more desirable.

Valve makes games -- not elaborate and unstable tech demos. There's plenty of the latter coming out of the Germany and Ukraine anyway, and I for one understand Valve's general lack of interest in it.

You can have both great games play and graphics. Dirt 2 for instance is both. Looks like Bad Company 2 is the same. Metro 2033, at least in terms of the hardware requirements should be killer.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a $5000 system and the only reason to do that is for the eye candy, at least in terms of gaming. I'd love to see an E3 packed to the gills with DX 11 effects running on 3 screens at 5760×1200. That's gaming!

You can have both great games play and graphics. Dirt 2 for instance is both. Looks like Bad Company 2 is the same. Metro 2033, at least in terms of the hardware requirements should be killer.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a $5000 system and the only reason to do that is for the eye candy, at least in terms of gaming. I'd love to see an E3 packed to the gills with DX 11 effects running on 3 screens at 5760×1200. That's gaming!

Save up for one of these too while you're at it:

triple-axle-hummer-limo.jpg

Graphics are more than the technical abilities of the engine. Art direction and aesthetics also play into it. The color palette and design of Half Life 2 elevates the look of the game above whatever technical limitations the engine may have.

On the flip side of that, I've seen superior engines look like dogshit because the game designers and art directors have no ability or taste. Ideally its a combination of the two, and while I like having capable engines, I can also enjoy games that look good on "older" tech. TF2 still makes me laugh with its look in the middle of a game, and that is a three year old game running on an even older engine. Ditto heavily stylized games like The Wind Waker, etc.

Also, I still find it funny that you spend so much money on your rigs but don't do multiplayer. ;) No hate at all btw, its just that the point of high end rigs is generally to eke out extra frames to stay competitive when things go crazy (either that or crank settings down). People who only play single player are almost always more lax with their rigs because you can still get great looking games for well under $1000 without monitor. So yeah, you're an odd case in terms of games you like to play and the rigs you spec. :)

Confirmation and details: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62687

Source games run natively and are not emulated, are in lock-step with the Windows version which means that everyone has the same patches and updates (important for TF2), and Steam Cloud support will juggle saved games and settings between the two.

Important quote:

Steam Play will allow Mac gamers to play against PC gamers and -- for our games and any of our partners who are interested in using the feature -- be able to obtain any game they purchase on either system without the need to purchase two copies. So, for example, if you already own Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC you won't need to purchase it again for the Mac.

I'm assuming that this only 100% applies to Valve's own games and that other publishers (ie - EA, Telltale, PopCap) will have it at their own discretion whether or not to throw in their own Mac versions if you already own the PC version. Either way, cool!

I hope somebody with an iMac can do some quick benchmarking, as I'm planning to get one in the near future!

Does anyone know if havoc dropped the Mac licensing fee? I can't see how this would be cost effective unless they did.

Sorry, I meant running it natively under OSX - not in Windows. ;)

Considering that nobody has run Source games without WINE emulation in OS X and that Valve's ports will run natively, nope, those benchmarks don't exist.

We'll know for sure in April. I'm sure that http://www.barefeats.com/ will have them up ASAP. Until then, here is a collection of benchmarks from late last year: http://www.barefeats.com/imi7g2.html

The i5 750 iMac seems to be the best bang for the buck in terms of desktop gaming performance. And if someone says LOL $2000, point out the fact that the same 2560x1440 27" display by itself costs $1100 from Dell and will probably be closer to $1500 from NEC. :)

Back