Valve taking legal action against cheat sites.

i've never had a problem with the cd keys not working. only time i've really seen it is when you buy a used copy of the game and the key has already been activated. given, i think steam is a peice of crap, but its getting better. it doesn't suck nearly as much as it use to. so i'd be curious when they stop working.

saying you dont mind cheaters and then saying you dont play online games kind of makes your opinion null and void anyway. you dont experience the problem, so of course you wouldn't mind it.

Cigolon said:
saying you dont mind cheaters and then saying you dont play online games kind of makes your opinion null and void anyway. you dont experience the problem, so of course you wouldn't mind it.

I don't play online as I grew rather tired of n00bs who could not figure out how to plant a bomb. with coutner strike, you got the people who are there for a score, not for the point of the game, such as resuce hostages, plant bomb, work as a team, you got your whole team just scattering.

When you are good on a serer they like to kick, ban, or, abuse adminmod on you, so, it looses the fun portion of it rather quickly.

When I played battlfield, and, was acused of being a cheater or wuss or what ever, because I would come up behind the enemy and kill them, or, I would be going thru a building to look for enemy troops, and, I would see a group of them coming, becasue I killed them all or most of them, I was a cheater.

I grew tired of being called a cheater, so, I said fuck it, I will not play online anymore. When I host lan parties, a bunch of us, like 3-9 of us, will join a server all on on team, and dominate, and, usually the other team ends up leaving the server or screaming hax at us, because, we know the values of a team.

So, I really do not care about a cheater on any game that plays online, chances are, in order for him to play online, he had to buy a valid key, so, he has every right to play online like the rest of us, valve does not own the internet, I feel they should not be policing it.

great. so you played on bad counter strike servers. that happens. its a pub. what do you expect. most people finish playing doom and expect every game to be just like it, not understanding tactics. thats just finding a good server.

playing a game online in my opinion is a pact between you, the server, and the other players. it is a friendly(sometimes), fair compitetition. when a guy hacks, it ruins the game. i'm sure you've seen it in bf. the guy whos flying around that can't be shot down. i dont see how that guy has a right to play like that. a right to play, yes, so long as he doesn't ruin other people's game.

valve may not own the internet. but they own steam, and the license for cs, which entitles them to do, well, whatever they want involving either of those. so if they want to cut down on cheaters, they can try. if they want to make you use fish as weapons and the bomb look like a cross between a hippo and a horse, they can.

Cigolon said:
valve may not own the internet. but they own steam, and the license for cs, which entitles them to do, well, whatever they want involving either of those. so if they want to cut down on cheaters, they can try. if they want to make you use fish as weapons and the bomb look like a cross between a hippo and a horse, they can.
Does anyone know if this is true? I'd have thought that the advertising on a box for a game would have to loosely resemble the game inside the box. So if you bought a retail version of Counter Strike and they forced an update on you that changed the game in a large way and it no longer resembled the game you bought could you take them to court for false advertising?
This trend of forced updates worries me. When Steam pops up a window saying "Download these updates for Counter Strike" there's no option that says "No thank you, I'm happy with the game now" and then leaves it up to you to find a server running your version. It just assumes you'll want to install them. At least with the old system it was your choice whether you upgraded from CS 1.3 to CS 1.4.

loop said:
Does anyone know if this is true? I'd have thought that the advertising on a box for a game would have to loosely resemble the game inside the box. So if you bought a retail version of Counter Strike and they forced an update on you that changed the game in a large way and it no longer resembled the game you bought could you take them to court for false advertising?
This trend of forced updates worries me. When Steam pops up a window saying "Download these updates for Counter Strike" there's no option that says "No thank you, I'm happy with the game now" and then leaves it up to you to find a server running your version. It just assumes you'll want to install them. At least with the old system it was your choice whether you upgraded from CS 1.3 to CS 1.4.

force an update on you? i dont know about you, but i had to actively go download counterstrike patches. infact, i remember waiting for quite some time in lines for the file to be ready. tons of people still play 1.5, they weren't forced to upgrade. however within 1.6, the smaller updates they do are tweaks to a larger system that you already choose.

Back