Valve intro music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbowens

[H]ard|Gawd
So does anyone know where this file resides on the hard drive? I want to use it as my windows intro music.

Thanks

It doesn't. It was originally part of the Half-Life soundtrack, which is CD audio. It might be in the original HL2 GCF, but I couldn't tell you.

If you go to your directory for Half-Life 2 you will find a media folder with the file "valve.avi," which is a movie of the intro. From there you should be able to just rip the audio off.

My directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<username>\half-life 2\hl2\media\valve.avi

That's copyrighted material there, guy. Not legal to distribute.

I just took a look at the GCF, by the way. The track in question is titled "HL1_song11", but it's a remixed version of the original.

That's copyrighted material there, guy. Not legal to distribute.

I just took a look at the GCF, by the way. The track in question is titled "HL1_song11", but it's a remixed version of the original.

Thanks for the info, RIAA sympathizer.....

remember that if you set your windows recording input to mono or stereo mix you can capture any audio that comes through your sound card, as long as you have a program to capture it(I use audacity)

It's also a nice workaround for downloading music from myspace from those who don't let you download tracks.

find me the copyright
Under U.S. copyright law, a work, in this case, an audio recording, is protected by copyright even if it hasn't been registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Registering the work is only necessary to file a lawsuit against a copyright infringer.

However, there are terms you agree to in the Steam EULA regarding your rights, which prohibit you from reproducing content you access via Steam:
Steam Subscriber Agreement said:
Except as otherwise permitted under Section 2(C) with regard to the SDK, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Steam Software or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.
There's a similar EULA for retail copies of Half-Life. Pretty cut-and-dry stuff here, kiddo. Thought this was common knowledge. I guess not...

Thanks for the info, RIAA sympathizer.....
Not condoning piracy makes me an RIAA sympathizer? That's a hell of a gap you just jumped there.

I severely regret bothering to assist you in any way. Won't happen again.

Under U.S. copyright law, a work, in this case, an audio recording, is protected by copyright even if it hasn't been registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Registering the work is only necessary to file a lawsuit against a copyright infringer.

However, there are terms you agree to in the Steam EULA regarding your rights, which prohibit you from reproducing content you access via Steam:

There's a similar EULA for retail copies of Half-Life. Pretty cut-and-dry stuff here, kiddo. Thought this was common knowledge. I guess not...

Not condoning piracy makes me an RIAA sympathizer? That's a hell of a gap you just jumped there.

When did you assist me? You didn't. You brought about draconian laws.

I have that music on my hard drive, I was simply asking where it was, so if you didn't want to help me then you shouldn't have posted in this thread.

Simple:

Help me = post
thread crap = STFU

I have that music on my hard drive, I was simply asking where it was, so if you didn't want to help me then you shouldn't have posted in this thread.

'Thing is, though, the track The18thLetter uploaded isn't on your hard drive: enter phide's comment on the copyright. Not only was he the first to offer help in this thread but he stuck around even after your insult; if that's not help then I don't know what is.

I guess some people are just unappreciative.

I just read through the EULA found on the original Half-Life CD and, unfortunately for you, there are no similar terms found in it. The only limitations that are somewhat similar is that no one can copy the GAME, itself, and redistribute it.
As you can see, I'm not doing that.

Christ.

No kidding. Whats the big deal? Obviously this guy has the original song on his computer since he bought HL1. Why cant he just download the audio file and make it easier than extracting it himself.....?
Seriously people...

I dont think anyone would consider looking at these forums (or that act above) as a means of piracy enabling... but right or wrong, I'd just err on the side of caution... the mods on these boards are neither understanding, sympathetic, appreciative, gracious or liberal...

"Wait, is 'unappreciative' the right word?"

yes it is... disregard with respect to patronage, reputation, and help lent to fellow forum members upon the breaking of what I observed in my humble opinion to be minor infractions caused people to be banned... but, I dont make the rules... and at the end of the day; who cares why people choose to behave? out of respect or out of fear matters not, right?

anyhoot... this thread will probably either be locked or thrown into the off-topic forum section that people have to pay for to see... so the point is moot.

Does Valve really care if somebody puts the song on the web? :rolleyes: If they did, the mod community would be dead.

'Thing is, though, the track The18thLetter uploaded isn't on your hard drive: enter phide's comment on the copyright. Not only was he the first to offer help in this thread but he stuck around even after your insult; if that's not help then I don't know what is.

I guess some people are just unappreciative.

INCORRECT. He incorrectly told me the music I was looking for WAS NOT on my hard drive, when in fact, it was. I took it from there, and converted it to a WAV file.

He did nothing but give me false information, and then like a nanny, injected his unwanted, and un asked for editorial on the posting of someone else.

He didn't have the info I was looking for, so he shouldn't have opened his mouth. It's very simple, and there isn't an argument to be had any other way, unless you are stupid.

Sometimes I really fail to see how some peoples' brains' operate.

No wonder there are so many idiots in America.

I asked, quite simply, where the Valve intro file was on MY machine. I got an answer. Case closed. There was no need for anything else. Phide thread crapped, and if there is anything in this thread that is against the rules, it's what he did.

INCORRECT. He incorrectly told me the music I was looking for WAS NOT on my hard drive, when in fact, it was.
It might be in the original HL2 GCF
I gave you an idea regarding where to look, told you it was originally on the Half-Life CD, then later gave you the exact name of the file contained within the GCF. I installed GCFScape, which I had previously uninstalled, to be able to do so, which shows that I had to go through some length to answer your question. You then insulted me, accusing me of some sort of allegiance with the RIAA (of all things).

If the moderators feel that I was out of line, they would have taken some sort of action.

"Unappreciative" is indeed the correct word.

I gave you an idea regarding where to look, told you it was originally on the Half-Life CD, then later gave you the exact name of the file contained within the GCF. I installed GCFScape, which I had previously uninstalled, to be able to do so, which shows that I had to go through some length to answer your question. You then insulted me, accusing me of some sort of allegiance with the RIAA (of all things).

If the moderators feel that I was out of line, they would have taken some sort of action.

"Unappreciative" is indeed the correct word.

What you fail to see is that you are mistaken your non help, with actual help. You didn't do anything but tell me the file wasn't on my hard drive (which, it is, so you were wrong), and then you told me where it might be.

So, tell me, where was the help there? No where in your post did you specifically address my question. I knew the file was someone on my hard drive, so telling me it wasn't automatically makes you look like a fool.

My question was simple, "where on my hard drive is....".

And do you see this post by 13ender: "If you go to your directory for Half-Life 2 you will find a media folder with the file "valve.avi," which is a movie of the intro. From there you should be able to just rip the audio off.

My directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<username>\half-life 2\hl2\media\valve.avi"

THAT, was an answer.

You were being a blowhard.

It seems like you need to have your ego stroked so thanks for the misinformation you gave me....I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back