Valve Fans Boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Well, just sell L4D and buy the sequel. Oops... :D

It's about time people realize that Valve is only looking out for #1.

<Ding!> Such is the life of a corporate sellout, (as spoken by a self professed corprate lakey).

So if valve is such a horrible corporate sellout that makes them what?

Thats right that makes them like every other developer in the world...

OMG businesses exist to make money???

So stupid.

So stupid.

no arguments here.... last I checked business are out there to make $$.

Funny... you say people complaining about Valve not releasing any content for L4D are whiners. Valve never guaranteed anything, right? Only promises.

So, people bitching about Vista Ultimate Extras (or lack of) are also a bunch of fucking whiners because MS never guaranteed anything, right?! Only promises.

ha ha ha ha ha

So, people bitching about Vista Ultimate Extras (or lack of) are also a bunch of fucking whiners because MS never guaranteed anything, right?! Only promises.

ummm... yes; do some research before slapping down cash, you can't always purchase based on track record...

ummm... yes; do some research before slapping down cash, you can't always purchase based on track record...

TF2 was a great track record to go by. It came first and got tons of attention...L4D is getting didley shit. Joined the valve group.

What could you have possibly researched? Valve had a great track record, and even though the game only had 4 weapons (in 2 tiers), and 4 stages, it was a good game, and if Valve gave it the attention it gave TF2, it would be a great buy.

I personally did not like L4D and didn't buy it, but I can feel the gripe most people are having. They are paid $50 for a sandbox without sand and a letter that promised more sand. Next year rolled around and a whole new sandbox is being released, and the first sandbox is completely neglected.

I mean, do you really believe Valve will actually continue to update L4D once L4D2 is out? The gamers are right, the deserve some sort of entitlement, they bought something with their own/mommy's money and want their worth.

Well, I bought the game for the full 50 bucks and I don't regret it for a second, I had my hours and hours of fun with it and I still play quite often. It's not a bad game and I'm sure I'll buy the second one should it be different enough to warrant it.

People really should, you know, wait and see how the game is before freaking the fuck out.

It's not the game itself people have the problem with, it's Valve rushing to make the sequel without fulfilling the promises it made to the community regarding post-release content.

Game itself looks cool. But I'll wait for a while before buying it and see how they treat it post-release. Like I >SHOULD< have waited on the original instead of taking their word for it.

It's not the game itself people have the problem with, it's Valve rushing to make the sequel without fulfilling the promises it made to the community regarding post-release content.

Game itself looks cool. But I'll wait for a while before buying it and see how they treat it post-release. Like I >SHOULD< have waited on the original instead of taking their word for it.

I feel the same way, but it sort of begs the question...if we have to wait for post release content to make our purchase worth it, why dont they just put a decent amount in to begin with and have done with it.

If I wait 6 months to see what gets released and the price has dropped then it sort of seems like a giant waste of time.

This recent stunt has basically made me drop my faith in games as a service which is what Gabe is trying to push, and he NEEDS faith in the players because they dont offer anything concrete...it's not like for example the sam and max episodes where we know each month we'll get a new episode, it's just waiting on valves failed promises

It makes them just like every other publisher in the world. There are plenty of developers who care more about games than money.

People shit on endlessly about how Valve is a paragon of virtue and EA and the like are the epitome of evil. Yet they excuse Valve every time they're shafted for a few more dollars because "hey, they're a business, what do you expect?".

While we're on the topic of Valve being money-grubbing assholes... whatever happened to that spiel about digital distribution being the wave of the future because the lack of physical media makes games cheaper? There is no manufacturing cost, no distribution cost and no reseller markup, and they still manage to charge more than brick and mortar outlets.

good thing id idnt buy L4D...

50 bucks for a shooter mod? no THANKS. the ORANGE box was 29.99 when i bought it and it came with about 4 games or something lol. Valve is distracted with making good coin with their stupid L4D they're ignoring HL3 or whatever episodes i the single player HL2 episode line.

it is a rare creature indeed; but I'll grant you it does exist in small pockets of reality.
I believe it's more widespread than you think ;)

I'm talking the typical price for expansions to full games; full price for an expansion is typically $29, full price for a full game is typically $49, (for the PC).
All indications point to L4D2 being a full stand-alone game, as that's precisely what Valve's said on the matter. I assume that Valve isn't mixing the terms "expansion" and "full game", as they're well aware of the differences.

And business models change; sometimes mid stride.
This is more than a mere tweak to Valve's business model: this is more like a complete about-face of Valve's commonly-touted customer-oriented principles.

See manifesto quote above, people do want it for free or they want at a 'reduced' price... I would love a many of things at reduced price but because I want it doesn't mean I deserve it or I should get it.
You're trying to attach a very particular, very confused and in all likelihood very erroneous view of the typical boycotter's mindset. You ascribe the dissention to a sense of self-entitlement when the reality is that the dissention exists because of claims made that never became reality.

What I'm saying here is that this issue isn't nearly as complicated as you're suggesting.

If a company alienates their customer base, from whom do they expect to reap profit?

I'm not saying L4D2's sales are going to be severely hurt by the boycott (because they won't be), but what I am suggesting is that allowing a loyal, passionate and very outspoken customer base to dissent because of a single negative action is potentially lethal to any game developer in the long term.

Actually people will; look how many people pay up monthly fees for MMO's when it is essentially a constant rehash....
Why did you ignore my "it's against Valve's previous track record?"
It's THE main cause for this whole issue. If it was Activision doing something like this, we'd all understand and give a collective "meh".
However, it's VALVE we're talking about!
These are the guys that gave us how many updates for a ~$20 game (TF2)?
They continually update their other online games long after release, usually for free. Condition Zero is the only exception I can think of - and that was like a singleplayer expansion, wasn't it? It wasn't a sequel released A YEAR after the original Counterstrike, was it?

I guess this is the sticking point for me... what 'promise'... is there a contract out there? In the EULA of L4D is there something that states 'we will keep giving you free stuff regardless of the corprate costs.'
Again, it's against their track record. There's no contract, this isn't court. However, it was expressed many times prior and following L4D's release that we would be getting new content. New content that WASN'T Survival Mode, mind you (although that definitely counts as new content). Who's to say we still won't get more stuff? No one, really... but I know for a fact that there's more/new stuff in L4D2, which is looking to be a full-priced game.. only a year after the release of the first one.

Granted in interviews they said they would be giving added content; but that is this thing called marketing speak; every company on the planet does it to sell their stuff, every politician does it to get elected; why should Valve be any different? Look at how long things like TFC were supported for free... Does it suck that they won't have as much support for this title; sure it does, but get used to it. Paid DLC is the wave of the future/another business model that can work for companies. 5/10 years ago L4D wouldn't have been a retail game at all; it would have been a mod for the source engine; times are a changen.
Get used to it? It's that public mentality that gets them to even think these schemes up. "Well, there's going to be dissenters but obviously they'll be in the minority - the idiot masses will still pay up!"

The quality of multiplayer gaming went downhill long ago; I would say roughly when things like 'tea-bagging' became popular. The release of another game won't make that any worse than it alrady is.
They mean the quality of the L4D multiplayer community. Obviously, if L4D2 is released as a separate title, that's less people for L4D owners to play with. That's what they mean by hurting the multiplayer community. They're alienating the owners of the first game with such a soon release of the second.

1. Has pricing even been released?
2. Who says it doesn't warrent a standalone product; have you seen the pile of sequals rolling off the shelves; the same argument can be made there as well, (how many COD's were there that covered the same stuff but all were released as seperate full priced games?)
3. Again who are any of us to tell them how to run their company, make it free... I didn't get the 'full package' for my truck when I bought it but because they are just add-ons does that mean I should get them for free? eesh the sense of entitlement is thick today.
1. Nope. This is all precautionary.
2. Activision* =/= Valve
3. We're fans. Valve fans. Fans of how Valve's update model worked previously. We want Valve to be Valve.

* - the CEO of Activision notoriously stated that they dropped Brutal Legend and some of the other games last year because they didn't have the potential to be exploited over years - google it

Really? I still see people playing CS1.6 even after CS Source was released... Still see people playing Desert Combat even though BF2 is out there... This is an argument of conjecture at best.
CS Source was released a year after CS? Or even a year after 1.6?? Not nearly the same, dude.

Let me sum this one up, (considering it's been rehashed in every other point in this piece,) "I'm not a tool like others who will plunk down their money everytime a company asks me to."
Fixed.

Last edited:
Your typical internet boycotter, doesn't actually boycott anything. Usually they fall into one of three categories IMHO.

1) The "I wasn't going to buy it any way but want to look cool sitting on the bandwagon" category.
2) The "I was planning to pirate it anyway, and this is perfect justification" category.
3) The "I really was gonna boycott it, but my friends all bought it, so I did too" category.

Just my opinion. I have seen more than one of these boycotts b4, and personally know more than a few in each of the above categories. Usually, boycotts of this nature only work if the game sucks. I don't mean the game is just mediocre, I mean the game reeaaally sucks hard.

A company saying they will do something is not "marketing speak" -- it's simply a claim. If the claim is not fulfilled, the claim becomes what is most typically known as a 'lie'. Politicians and many companies lie. We were under the impression that Valve was not one of those companies. Are you suggesting that, if you were running a company, you would lie to your customer base because, supposedly, "every company .. does it", as if that were some sort of justification?

I personally wouldn't go so far as to say that what they were doing prior to L4D's release was lying about how post-release support would be handled, but obviously Valve's plans changed from "we're going to do this" to "we're going to do something else" at some point. That point came when Tom Leonard approached Gabe Newell about spinning the additional content into a full-fledged sequel, to be sold at, in Doug Lombardi's words, "full price". Gabe Newell apparently said okay, albeit reluctantly.

L4D2 is not DLC. What's your point here?

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Ford/GM/whatever never implied that you would. Valve did. This is a terrible analogy, and I can't even begin to comprehend how you wouldn't have realized that.

God I love you phide. You always manage to say something in a way I would have put it with a million cuss words because I can't stand seeing stupid shit on this forum. I don't know why I come back here sometimes because I usually just see these brainwashed clowns throwing their fucking money away. I normally don't care what someone else does with their money until they start insulting me for being stingy when I'm not just stingy, I don't buy shit out of principle for reasons like this. Good job with the post.

valve went downhill with tf2 :(

no grenades, wtf?

Cause they didnt want it to be a solo class game anymore. I mean the name of the game is TEAM Fortress.

And the whole L4D2 thing can be debated for hours. But what it really comes down to is.. Who is whining and who is not. Its pretty clear who the whiners are.

I wish people would quit going on about their "track record" of giving away shitloads of free content.

Lets see how many games have received more free content than L4D? TF2 and???

bboynitrous said:
I don't buy shit out of principle for reasons like this. Good job with the post.

See this is the funniest part of all. Valve pulls one questionable thing in their long history of kicking ass and everyones ready to boycott out of "principal". Meanwhile EA,Ubisoft, EPIC, Microsoft and a laundry list of publishers AND developers (The developers favorite scapegoat is the publisher) have been doing far worse for many years and im willing to bet you still buy all of their shit like the rest of these fucking hypocrites.

I mention in a thread that i wont buy any epic games and that others shouldn't either until they knock their shenanigans off and i get flamed all over the damn place but people THINK valve isnt giving them the free content they where promised and theres a boycott. Its fun to have principals when its popular try sticking with it when 3/4 of the boycott group sells you out because they never really gave a fuck to begin with and only joined because "everyone else was doing it".

God I love you phide. You always manage to say something in a way I would have put it with a million cuss words because I can't stand seeing stupid shit on this forum. I don't know why I come back here sometimes because I usually just see these brainwashed clowns throwing their fucking money away. I normally don't care what someone else does with their money until they start insulting me for being stingy when I'm not just stingy, I don't buy shit out of principle for reasons like this. Good job with the post.

hehe, he does have a way with words, I like to take apart bad arguments on this forum but i'd dont recall ever disagreeing with phide :)

L4D was fun and money well spent in my opinion. I spent many hours playing it and still do play the game. If L4D2 is any good, than I will also gladly buy it. Valve cannot be giving away free things forever. Just because they keep adding on stuff to TF2 which they do not have to at all, does not mean L4D2 should be free as well just because people think they didn't get enough from L4D.

See this is the funniest part of all. Valve pulls one questionable thing in their long history of kicking ass and everyones ready to boycott out of "principal".
Fourth, at least, by my count.

- Most people who bought the Orange Box have now paid for HL2 twice. Pulling the Black Box retail version is fair enough, but it probably would have cost them all of $20 to list it as a package on Steam. There is no excuse for this but greed.

- Games on Steam are absurdly overpriced, especially at launch. With no manufacturing or distribution costs, and no reseller markup, they still charge the same as (or even more than) retail outlets.

- What about DRM? People throw a fucking fit whenever EA et. al. release a game with any form of online authentication. For some incomprehensible reason, Valve and Valve alone are allowed to implement it in their games. You can probably blame a large part of the DRM trend on the fact that everyone just let it slide in HL2.

well, im in stitches...

But hey, I'm sure IGN, Giantbomb, and Gamespot were all handing out 4 star reviews based on what these "promises" (which somehow became promises without anyone at valve ever using the word "promise" in any of those interviews).

anyways, had a blast with L4D, (still cant get enough of those 25dmg pounces), and I'm sure I'll have a blast with L4D 2. $120 well spent in my books.

But hey, vote with your wallet.

The amount of entertainment I've gotten out of playing Halflife and Halflife 2 (And all of it's mods), TF2 and L4D... more than pays for the amount of money I've spent on the games (~$50 per game x a few multiple copies) so maybe $300-400 I've spent on Valve games... and I've played easily over thousands of hours playing them.

That's how I justified paying $40 for L4D (Pre-order price or something, maybe it was $45) and how I'll justify pre-ordering L4D2... sure I didn't get as much time out of L4D as I did TF2, but it was still more than I got out of say... Farcry2... or Unrealtournament 3... both which I bought on impulse because the originals were awesome... only to be very disappointed. L4D wasn't the same disappointment... it was more like... meh... nobody to play with. L4D was only fun if you played with people you knew... playing at a LAN with 8 people was sooo much fun... but playing online when you get people teamkilling or not working as a team, etc. it ruins it.

Oh well... I bet all those people bitching about L4D2 will buy it anyways.

Ha Ha. Maybe valve realized that relying partly on users to generate content was getting boring. L2D is decent fun for about an hour when and if you have the right people but it's not like you can play it offline. I think this might be a good life lesson for L2D whiners: Companies lie, oh i'm sorry 'market the product', to make money and the problem with working solely in a team either online in a game or at work in an office is that their is usually some asshat who has to ruin it for everybody.

And the whole L4D2 thing can be debated for hours. But what it really comes down to is.. Who is whining and who is not. Its pretty clear who the whiners are.

I've never seen a better-constructed and more insightful point ever made ever. Everevereverever.

Just watching some gameplay vids of L4D2 makes me fairly certain I won't be buying it. First of all, day time zombies is fucking retarded for a game of this type. Second, half the shit is just remodeled stuff from the first game (zombies, players, weapons) with a few new additions. Third, if there is no discount for owning the first game there is no way in hell I would spend a full $40-50 on what amounts to be glorified DLC.

And it doesn't look like they changed much in the way the infected AI works either so you pretty much do the same thing as the first game but in a new location. Pretty stale if you overplayed the first game.

I have only just bought L4D and it is already obvious there is not enough content. I'm disappointed Valve have decided to cash in so soon. A multiplayer game should be allowed to mature / grow over a minimum of a 2-3 year gap between releases. Who knows we could all buy L4D 2 and a L4D 3 may come out the following year. I'm a big fan of Valve but on this occasion, no thank you.

Where the hell is HL2 - Episode 3 while I'm at it?

I believe it's more widespread than you think ;)
I'd love to believe that but living in the corprate world I've seen many instances where people would sell their own mum down the river for a cookie... let alone to line their pockets.

All indications point to L4D2 being a full stand-alone game, as that's precisely what Valve's said on the matter. I assume that Valve isn't mixing the terms "expansion" and "full game", as they're well aware of the differences.
Again here though we are moving on assumptions; it may very well come across as a full priced game it's hard to say. Personally I've always questionned Valve's pricing model considering they are cutting out publishers etc... granted those costs are replaced by servers and bandwidth, who knows maybe this ended up being a more expensice endevor than initially anticipated.

This is more than a mere tweak to Valve's business model: this is more like a complete about-face of Valve's commonly-touted customer-oriented principles.
Again this happens; many companies have had to move from one business model to another because the economic enviroment warranted it or just corprate greed demanded it. Believe me I'n not saying that this isn't a dick move, because it is but it's not something I'm going to begrudge them for. I'll likely not buy L4D2, (frankly the novelty of L4D wore off long ago and updates wouldn't have changed that...)

You're trying to attach a very particular, very confused and in all likelihood very erroneous view of the typical boycotter's mindset. You ascribe the dissention to a sense of self-entitlement when the reality is that the dissention exists because of claims made that never became reality.
There is probably a fair mix of both in the group; some that are legetimately annoyed that the support hasn't come because it was promised and other that just think they deserve it. Like I said in an earlier post; the 'Gimmie it, it's mine' generation seems to be alive and well.

What I'm saying here is that this issue isn't nearly as complicated as you're suggesting.
I'm saying it may very well be; we don't know because we as the general public don't have a view into the inner workings of the company. The stuff they release for free might very well cost them more than it is worth to release it; there fore it becomes a very bad business to release it right?

If a company alienates their customer base, from whom do they expect to reap profit?
Lets be honest here; of the people bitching how many will actually not buy the game? If you enjoyed the first you'll likely buy the second; all this talk of principal is all well and good but I've only found a handful of people in my lifetime who's principals weren't for sale in some compasity. Bleak outlook maybe but this is what I've experienced.

I'm not saying L4D2's sales are going to be severely hurt by the boycott (because they won't be), but what I am suggesting is that allowing a loyal, passionate and very outspoken customer base to dissent because of a single negative action is potentially lethal to any game developer in the long term.

I get that I do; but all in all I think this'll be nothing more than a blip on the radar, the next set of screens that come out for EP3 or HL3 or whatever everyone will coo and pass right on by forgetting all about why they were pissy in the first place.

It's the current corporate mind set currently; if we piss off our customers we'll just jingle our keys, or show them something shiny and all will be forgiven. It's all very cyclical.

And what would be the logic in that? By then they'll be too busy working on new content to L4D2... or L4D3 :rolleyes:

Not that I care, I stopped playing less than a month after buying it. Some people just irk me, you mock the boycotters yet an anti-boycotter is even more ridiculus.

Last edited:
Why did you ignore my "it's against Valve's previous track record?"
It's THE main cause for this whole issue. If it was Activision doing something like this, we'd all understand and give a collective "meh".
However, it's VALVE we're talking about!
So they should be held to a different standard than any other company? Why? Track record doesn't amount to anything in todays world, (largest auto manufacturer in the US going belly up.) Falls back to the old addage 'Shit happens.'

These are the guys that gave us how many updates for a ~$20 game (TF2)?
They continually update their other online games long after release, usually for free.
I'm not seeing a point here; maybe TF2 is more economically viable of a product? Maybe Gabe has a hard-on for the spy who knows. The decision on L4D/L4D2 is likely a purely economic one; ultimately they are a company out there to make money. If they feel supporting games like TF2 will get them more money than supporting L4D than that is the way they'll roll it.

Again, it's against their track record. There's no contract, this isn't court. However, it was expressed many times prior and following L4D's release that we would be getting new content. New content that WASN'T Survival Mode, mind you (although that definitely counts as new content). Who's to say we still won't get more stuff? No one, really... but I know for a fact that there's more/new stuff in L4D2, which is looking to be a full-priced game.. only a year after the release of the first one.
Again this is likely an economic decision; think of it this way; they may need the revenue from L4D2 to continue to support both packages... without insider insight it's all conjecture.

Get used to it? It's that public mentality that gets them to even think these schemes up. "Well, there's going to be dissenters but obviously they'll be in the minority - the idiot masses will still pay up!"
This is part of the risk/reward system that most if not all companies work under. "How far can we push something before it breaks... OK now lets back that off to the point where we break some but keep most and keep our cost/expenditures at the correct level."

They mean the quality of the L4D multiplayer community. Obviously, if L4D2 is released as a separate title, that's less people for L4D owners to play with. That's what they mean by hurting the multiplayer community. They're alienating the owners of the first game with such a soon release of the second.
Doesn't seem to have held true with CS1.6/CS:Source, both seem to have a fairly large following yet... point for Valve was they were able to charge for CS:Source...ergo revenue.

1. Nope. This is all precautionary.
Where is the logic in this? I think you may do something so I'm going to premptively kick your ass... eeh?
2. Activision* =/= Valve
Again you think one publisher should be held to a different standard than others... maybe Valve just wanted to increase revenue and this was the most effective way to do it... could be worse they could micro-transaction the game so if you wanted new weapons that would cost you x, new maps x+2 etc...)

3. We're fans. Valve fans. Fans of how Valve's update model worked previously. We want Valve to be Valve.
That's nice...Valve wants Valve to be profitilble... Free doesn't feed the kids.

* - the CEO of Activision notoriously stated that they dropped Brutal Legend and some of the other games last year because they didn't have the potential to be exploited over years - google it
You Googled it so it must be true... though it probably is; and I don't blame them for it; it's not easy nore cheap any more to develop games, (AAA games), and if they feel they can't recoup their initial costs for buying the IP and finishing/expanding everything with the release of one game and the continued support of that one game; then yes I would sell the next one as well.

CS Source was released a year after CS? Or even a year after 1.6?? Not nearly the same, dude.
no idea when the 2 were released; though they are the same, (exact same) games only difference is CS:Source can generate revenue, 1.6 cannot.

When L4D2 is released; we'll see who's quote is more accurate...;)

Why do people keep saying that a large portion of the boycotters with buy it anyway? What evidence is there to back up that this is even close to accurate.

Back