Valve > EA

rodsfree said:
But, all this aside.
I'm sorry that you dislike these games. Even though every one of your points can be proven invalid.
Actually, I do like the games. I loved HL1, Op For, an Blue Shift and I'm sure I'd love HL2.

What I don't like, and again, I've stated this. What I don't like is VALVe's business practices and STEAM. I've already said I want a retail copy in my hand, not a CD with the information and files they want me to have and not on a CD that I have to burn myself.

See, that's the thing. My points AREN'T invalid. My points ARE in fact valid. They however, don't agree with, nor match your points so in your mind they are invalid because you can sit there and state your case to try and convince me otherwise. Just like those that sit there and call me stupid and ignorant because my views, opinions and points don't match theirs. But that doesn't make their points, or views or opinions correct in my eyes.

But, I'm sure you'll again, turn it around and tear it apart and once again will say I'm a moron. And we'll just go around and around and around like a bunch of monkies fucking a football and nothing will every get acomplished, the thread will end because we aren't able to agree that we both have different view, points and opinions because you are sanctimonious and feel that your views, points and opinions are the only ones and every one else that says different is somehow inferior.

Moose777 said:
Ok, I'm not a cheater. I've never played Half Life 2. I don't cheat in multiplayer games there is no point. Single player is a different story so who really cares.
So then you shouldn't care about your complaint that Valve--it isn't VALVe, the e is capitalized superscript so it is just stupid to make it lowercase--can "keep you from playing with the touch of a button".

And how am I stupid and ignorant? Again, I dislike VALVe's business practices and I dislike the idea of STEAM. That doesn't make me ignorant, stupid or any of the above.

Which business practices do you dislike? The one about stopping cheaters, releasing constant patches and content updates, or the one about them trying to keep tens of thousands of people from stealing their hard developed games?

Furthermore, I did no name calling whatsoever. I voiced my opinion and gave reasons why I don't like STEAM and why I dislike VALVe.

Many of your opinions frankly were wrong and baseless...which seems a little stupid and ignorant to me :rolleyes:

And as for who was making money off of VALVe's games back in the late 90's it doesn't matter. The point is I PAID for those expansions. And forgive me if I got the dates mixed up on which one came before which. Like I said, they are now coasters.

And I didn't know that I could still play them via STEAM. Because everytime I install them and go to play them I get the invalid CD key even though they are retail and I've owned them since they were new. And it goes back to my original point of not liking the idea of STEAM so I wouldn't go any further than that.

Have you tried contacting Valve? I know of people who have had that problem before, they show valve the CD's etc... and Valve gave them a new working CD key. It's not Valve's fault that someone might have stolen your CD Key. They will help you, their support doesn't bite I promise. Albeit at times their support can be woefully slow...like the release of a new product or patch, they are a small company with a huge fan base.

I have almost bought HL2 because I do want to play HL1. But every time I think I'm going to buy it an dI pick up the shrink wrapped sealed box I am let down with the lack of weight the box has. I shake it and can hear a piece of paper rattling around it. Where is my CD? I don't want a $50 box. And again, burning a CD isn't the point, it's the principle. I paid $40 for that spindle of CDs. And I paid $50 for the silver or whatever it costs now version of HL2. So, I'm paying twice? Sorry, I'd like to save my cds for other things like pictures and music and stuff; not games that I should already have a hard copy of.

There is a CD in the box, actually there are like 5. The store might have taken the media out to keep people from stealing it however. I also dont quite understand what your objection to burning a CD is. CD-R's are like $0.15 a pop right now, you cant be serious your complaining over spending a dollar to back-up your game? As I said earlier...if you want the hardcopy buy the hardcopy, nobody is forcing you to purchase it through download.

I'm sorry, but I'm really fucking tired of everytime I or anyone else voices an opinion about a subject that doesn't match yours they are automatically a retard, stupid, ignorant or misinformed. Then the name calling comences. I have not called any one a name. I stated why I disliked a product and a way that product was distributed. And I'm automatically an ignorant stupid person. Well, I'm sorry. But my opinion doesn't have to match yours and I don't have to like what you like. If you want to buy a product and not receive anything but a CD that you have to burn yourself. Fine. More power to you. But I like to have a REAL copy of a product.

Nope your opinion doesn't have to match anyone else's. However, when you are hating a company simply for the sake of hating them...or because you dislike their CEO for some strange reason...that is being a little ignorant. You keep making a big deal about wanting a hard copy...you could have purchased a hard copy for crying out loud! My brother purchased a hard copy...it worked fine. Valve still hasn't "pressed the magic button to make the game go poof".

If your going to bash a company come up with something better than you :

Dislike their CEO because he apparently eats donuts.

Dislike the fact that you cant get a hardcopy when you CAN get a hardcopy.

Dislike the concept of their means of keeping themselves from losing hundreds of thousands of dollars due to rampant piracy. Which also serves as a way to keep your games automatically updated (If you want to, you can turn that off). AND it helps to give you a nice way to manage the many FREE modifications to the game.

etc...

Erasmus354 said:
AND it helps to give you a nice way to manage the many FREE modifications to the game.

etc...

I really really really really love that feature.

I'm sorry, my reasons aren't baseless. Stopping piracy or cheaters is one thing, but punishing someone for not buying into your new way of distribution is wrong. And I'm sorry, does this: VALVe, bother you? Who the fuck cares how I spell it. I'm well aware of how its spelled. It doesn't matter.

koss2010, I'm not a pirate or bootleger. You want to see pictures of my coasters all cleaned up in their jewel cases?

Oh, and I just took the advice of all the other superior people here and you're right, I can play my old versions. I mean that is if I didn't get an error saying that my CD key is already in use and that I haven't finished activating my Platinum version of HL2. Which I find funny, especially considering I've never bought a version of HL2 nor have I ever tried to activate my copy of HL1 via STEAM. Ever. Oh, and yes, I'm well aware of contacting VALVe to change my key. I'm also well aware that they charge for this service. Microsoft doesn't even charge you to reactivate Windows.

But whatever, I guess I'm a moron either way. Sorry my views don't support yours and I'm sorry that my feelings on why I don't want to support VALVe seem invalid to you. You'll still have to get over that.

Moose777 said:
I'm sorry, my reasons aren't baseless. Stopping piracy or cheaters is one thing, but punishing someone for not buying into your new way of distribution is wrong. And I'm sorry, does this: VALVe, bother you? Who the fuck cares how I spell it. I'm well aware of how its spelled. It doesn't matter.

how do they punish you?

Oh, and I just took the advice of all the other superior people here and you're right, I can play my old versions. I mean that is if I didn't get an error saying that my CD key is already in use and that I haven't finished activating my Platinum version of HL2. Which I find funny, especially considering I've never bought a version of HL2 nor have I ever tried to activate my copy of HL1 via STEAM. Ever. Oh, and yes, I'm well aware of contacting VALVe to change my key. I'm also well aware that they charge for this service. Microsoft doesn't even charge you to reactivate Windows.

care tos how some proof that they charge you for this? never heard this before.

I feel punishe dbecause even though I've owned HL1, Op For and Blue Shift since they came out I can't just install them and play like I used to. So, because some jackass int he past stole fromt ehm I'm forced to use a product I don't want to play a game that I already own. And when I do I'm told my CD key is already being used? Not by me. So, I guess the system isn't really working; at least to me.

Oh, it's also saying that my Op For CD key is invalid.....too many characters orsomething.....but it's printed right on the sheet, (CD Key = 1234-1234-1234-1234-1234)

Although it is also now telling me that my Cd key for Blue Shift is valid but it can't complete the transaction because the servers are down and I'll have to try again later. Wow, this is so much better than just putting the CD in, installing it and playing it. Now I get to wait till they fix their servers to play my game. Awesome. Not to mention STEAM just crashed.......:rolleyes:

Steampowered said:
If you still have your original printed CD-Key and product CD from a retail package for a Valve product to prove ownership, we can reset your CD-Key however, there is a $10.00 handling fee for this service.

Directly from http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

But I suppose I'm reading the wrong thing since I'm a moron and one of the far more superior people in this thread will be able to point my feeble insignificant finger in the correct direction. :rolleyes:

Moose777 said:
Directly from http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

But I suppose I'm reading the wrong thing since I'm a moron and one of the far more superior people in this thread will be able to point my feeble insignificant finger in the correct direction. :rolleyes:

They charge you for moving your CD-Key from one account to another, not for rectifying a problem with your non-used legally owned CD's. You still haven't told us that you have contacted Valve and informed them of your problem. You seem to just read some FAQs and then say "Oh well, because it doesn't work I guess I will hate the company instead of giving them a chance to fix things...that'll work!"

Valve said:
If you need a Half-Life 2 CD-Key to be reset, there is no charge for the service.

Huzzah for stupid ignorance and not reading the entire FAQ!!!

Now how about you go send valve a support request so you can start playing your "coasters"

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. If you have the cds for hl1, blue shift etc, then just install it straight from the disk like you would have done in 2000 or whatever. No need to bother with steam at all.

If it's saying that your cd key is invalid while installing from the cd, then there's a problem somewhere, and I suspect I know where.

I'll agree that having to have an internet connection to activate the installation of the cd version of HL2 is a pain, but it says right on the box that an internet connection is *required* and not just for online play. It's Valve's game though, so they can make the rules.

Back on topic, Valve has much better support than EA. I've not bothered with BF2 - I think I learned my lesson from getting BF1942 the week it came out. Them charging for expansion packs before even fixing the initial bugs doesn't really suprise me either. It just makes me appreciate Epic a little more for releasing the megapack for UT2k4 a couple of months ago. :)

I'm not trying to activate HL2. I don't have a HL2 CD key. So, I read it as if you are trying to activate a CD key that you already own you need to prove to us you own the product by mailing us your Jewel Case along with the printed CD key along with either a money order or a cashiers check for $10 and we will reactivate your CD key.

HUZZAH!! I did read the entire FAQ jackass. And it repeated over and over again that you have to PAY to reactivate your old retail CD keys if you are given that error along with sending them your old jewel cases. Ignorance in this case, does not apply because I did read the entire FAQ, perhaps you should reread it?

And that's exactly what it says:
STEAMpowered [COLOR=DarkRed said:
If you still have your original printed CD-Key and product CD from a retail package for a Valve product to prove ownership, we can reset your CD-Key however, there is a $10.00 handling fee for this service.[/COLOR]

If you need a Half-Life 2 CD-Key to be reset, there is no charge for the service.
If it is within 30 days of your date of purchase of a game using a WON CD-Key (xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx format) you may include your receipt to have the $10.00 fee waived.
WON CD-Keys that were purchased USED either through Retail or Ebay will need to pay the $10.00 fee

FOR ALL PRODUCTS (INCLUDING HALF-LIFE 2) - If you are transferring ownership (sale or gift) of a previously purchased retail package, you are required to transfer all materials (including box, disc, end user license agreement and documentation) in order for the transfer to be legitimate. Valve does not permit the sale or transfer of CD-Keys without the accompanying retail package materials. Please see the end user license agreement (EULA) that came with your game for further details.

This transfer will remove the CD-Key from the account that is currently using the CD-Key, and add it to your account. To do this you will need to have a working Steam account (create a new one, if you do not have one or do not have access to your current account).

You will need to mail us the following items to reset the CD-Key:

The original printed CD-Key. This must include the original packaging the CD-Key was printed on (e.g. the CD jewel case). No copies, photos or scans will be accepted.[/COLOR]
Please ONLY SEND THE ORIGINAL PRINTED CD-KEY. DO NOT SEND YOUR CDs OR OTHER PACKAGING.
Your email address, phone number and mailing address.
The Steam Account Name that you want the CD-Key assigned to.
$10.00 (US Dollars). Only money orders or a bank cashier check in US Dollars will be accepted. For Half-Life 2 Retail Package owners, there is no charge for this service. We cannot process incomplete CD-Key reset requests. If you cannot provide all of the above items, we will be unable to help you and will return your payment.

HUZZAH!! I did read the entire FAQ jackass. And it repeated over and over again that you have to PAY to reactivate your old retail CD keys if you are given that error along with sending them your old jewel cases. Ignorance in this case, does not apply because I did read the entire FAQ, perhaps you should reread it?

So, again, I need to pay them to reactivate my HL1 disk, fix the problem with my Op For disk and possibly reactivate my Blue Shift disk.

But you're right, I'm a moron and this is so much better than again, putting the disk in my CD drive, installing it and then playing it. I like that I know have to wait until the PO delivers my jewel cases to VALVE, wait for said company to verify that they are in fact mine and that I own them, then wait for them to send my cases back along with my new keys (unless they do it via email...I dunno....probably because I'm a moron like you guys said) THEN after say 2 weeks (we'll give VALVe the benefit of the doubt that it'll only take them 2 weeks) I can play my games.

Much better than that archaic stupid install/play thing that took 10 minutes to do.

Oh, and no. I haven't sent an email to VALVe yet. I had to go eat dinner. Morons like myself still need to eat with forks and stuff and injest food orally unlike you far more advanced sanctimonious beings who are able to absorb through their skins the nutrients they need.

IanG said:
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. If you have the cds for hl1, blue shift etc, then just install it straight from the disk like you would have done in 2000 or whatever. No need to bother with steam at all.
LMONADE!!!! Ha ha ha.....

Sure I can install it. But it won't let me play it because it claims the CD key is invalid.

I DL STEAM, and try to activate it through there, it says the key is in use. By whom? Not by me. So, how did whomever is using it get my key?

To me, it's more trouble than its worth to get it to work. I just don't care. Probably because I'm a moron right?

LMONADE!!!! Ha ha ha.....
Sure I can install it. But it won't let me play it because it claims the CD key is invalid.

I DL STEAM, and try to activate it through there, it says the key is in use. By whom? Not by me. So, how did whomever is using it get my key?

To me, it's more trouble than its worth to get it to work. I just don't care. Probably because I'm a moron right?

If all you want to do is play HL1, OpFor, or Blue Shift, then uninstall Steam and install those games from the CDs that you already have. Then you won't have any problems with invalid CD Keys, since Steam is out of the equation.

If you want to play multiplayer, then just buy a new $10 copy of HL (and thus a new CD key), so you don't have to wait for Valve to send you a new CD key. Then just create a new Steam account and it'll work. Then you can go purchase a boxed version of HL2 with 5 CDs and play that.

Firewall said:
After reading the huge thread about bf2 booster packs, and gouging my eyes out, I fired up some CSS and then thought about it.

Valve has released two new maps and player figures recently and I haven't paid a dime more fore it. In the eye gouging thread, most people said they were fine with paying for booster packs even though the game needs a little fixing.

Someone also said Valve sucks. While I'm the first one to oppose putting game downloaders on my PC, I can't really see how Valve, or steam sucks. Please explain this to me as I must be missing it.

As a matter of fact, I can still play CSS without an internet connection. I simply create my own server and play bots. With BF2, you can't even login to play single player.

Don't get me wrong, I love BF2. The more I play it, the more I get use to it, the more I love it. But my main arguement is to those who:

1. say valve and steam sucks. They don't, period. Sure, they have glitches, and there server gets raped when they release something new, but who doesn't have glitches.

2. don't have a problem paying for a booster when there are still (from what I hear) some pretty big bugs in the game. Not to mention the whole interface for it sucks IMO.

**If there is a way to play BF2 without signing in so I can play singleplayer please let me know as I've missed it.**

Um, at least BF2 was shipped as a complete game, buggy as it was. CS:S retail might as well have been a beta when available for purchase. Only recently has the map selection been up to par with the original CS, and we still don't have all the models yet.

Ozymandias said:
If all you want to do is play HL1, OpFor, or Blue Shift, then uninstall Steam and install those games from the CDs that you already have. Then you won't have any problems with invalid CD Keys, since Steam is out of the equation.

If you want to play multiplayer, then just buy a new $10 copy of HL (and thus a new CD key), so you don't have to wait for Valve to send you a new CD key. Then just create a new Steam account and it'll work. Then you can go purchase a boxed version of HL2 with 5 CDs and play that.

I guess you failed to see where I said I have done that, and I still get the invalid CD key thing and the game still ceases to function.

Moose777 said:
I guess you failed to see where I said I have done that, and I still get the invalid CD key thing and the game still ceases to function.
That's called user error. I have steam installed and the original HL/CS 1.3 installed on my computer. I can still play HL/CS 1.3 whenever I want (just to watch old demos really) without loading steam.

Moose777 said:

If it isn't user error with incorrectly inputting the code then the same thing would have happened 7 years ago when you first purchased these games. Which begs the question why didn't you get it fixed then.

Either your disc is scratched, you incorrectly entered the code...or perhaps got your CD mixed up with a friends CD.

User error? I don't understand how I could have screwed it up. I put the disk in, installed it. It asked for my CD key, it accepted it during installation. It gets to the menu. I go to play the game. It says my CD key is invalid. Again, it accepted it when I installed the game. So how could it have changed? Beats me. I'm a moron though and maybe you know something about the magical CD key gnomes who change your keys after they've been accpeted.

And at any rate, its a moot point.

I went to uninstall STEAM and decided that before I uninstall it to see if it would actually let me play my games and tell me whether or not my old CDs would work. And sure enough, my old games are there in their full version glory. I even got some extra games like Ricochet and some other things like the HL2 demo.

I dunno if I'm going to install them to this machine or do it on my gaming machine.Mainly because I'm still really, really skeptical. I feel like I'm walking on egg shells, I need to watch what I say or Gabe Newell and the Donut eating VALVe police will crash through my ceiling and kill me because I cursed STEAM out. I'm also afraid to close the window because I'm afraid my games won't be there when I come back.

And maybe, if after I try it out perhaps I'll actually have a change of heart on the whole VALVe and STEAM thing and maybe, just maybe I'll buy HL2.

How do I play offline? And can I still use cheat codes on the single player games without VALVe shutting my account down? Yes, I like to cheat during singleplayer cause I like to explore without having to worry about being killed. Can I also play the old mods like "They Hunger"?

I haven't used Steam at all, I can deall with it though since I never got into the whole HF crazy. Thouhg EA is another matter. I defiently don't like how they treated their employess, if anyone remembers that whole scandal last year. I also don't like how they screwed us over with their latest games.

I''m gonna chime in here and say steam is great. It wasn't the most perfect delivery system in the past but thats what happens with "cutting edge" software. Now it is an almost flawless system for the majority of broad band users. No more searching for patches or wondering if I have the newest version of source to play online. It downloads for me.

Honestly though... who enjoys playing steam based games offline now?
If I was gonna set up games on an offline system, it would consist of
offline rpgs, emulation, RTS, and civilization 4.

Moose: Try unplugging your network cable. I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but wouldn't it be possible for the game to initiate a scan of their servers when you try to launch the game? So unplugging the link to the 'outside world' may solve something. -shrugs-

Dunno, this is the first time I've used STEAM since it's inception a few years ago. All I know is I'm in the middle of installing/updating HL1 and it's at 94% and it's only been 30 minutes.

I like valve ok. I did like them better though. Steam still sucks. There are many people(including me) who cant use the friends list becuase it resets. I also had problems with the favorites resetting, but re-dling steam fixed that. The concept is good, but the execution is bad. They also effed up counter-strike. At least IMHO. They have lowered damage..........sigh.. nothing you can do though.

Ok, so I've been playing Half-Life 1 since about 6:45pm EST and I've got a different opinion of STEAM.

Although I'm still skeptical about not having backups. BUT, I really can't say that. Because I still have my original disks from 1998, 1999, 2000.....

It is kind of nice not having to put my disk in everytime I play. It loads rather quickly. Although, it's not much of a resource hog since it is afterall only HL1.

My assumptions of how STEAM worked was incorrect. I had thought that I would have to repurchase HL1, Op For, and BS. But as it turned out I didn't have to, just use my old CD key from one of my old games gave me the Platinum Package for nothing. Which was nice.

And, well the way it's setup is kind of like BF2. You still log on to STEAM to play the game but it doesn't really do anything. STEAM is more of an interface for your games.

I had no problems installing STEAM or using it, aside for it crashing after I put my Blue Shift CD key in. It took 5 minutes to install HL1 and 30 minutes to completely update it. I was honestly expecting a 3-4 hour update.

Again, I'm still kind of skeptical of it and I think I'm going to run through HL1, Op For and BS before I make any plans to purchase HL2. I don't think I'm going to do any of the online stuff but who knows. I have forgotten how much fun this game is and am really enjoying playing it.

Although I do have a question, what makes Source so special? HL1 still looks the same as it did back in 98 with the exception that now I'm running it at 1920 x 1024 widescreen. All the textures are still the same, they didn't add effects. Why is Source so cool? Or is HL1 not using the new Source engine?

Unless it's Half-Life: Source, it's not using the Source engine. Even with Source, it doesn't look much better because Valve didn't update many of the textures.

There is a mod project called Black Mesa: Source that's porting HL1 to the Source and making it prettier while they're at it.

Moose777 said:
Although I do have a question, what makes Source so special? HL1 still looks the same as it did back in 98 with the exception that now I'm running it at 1920 x 1024 widescreen. All the textures are still the same, they didn't add effects. Why is Source so cool? Or is HL1 not using the new Source engine?

HL1 used the HL1 engine... HL:S is just a remake of HL1 using a few small features of the Source engine. HL2 uses the Source engine, and CS:S obviously uses the Source engine.

Don't worry, the Source engine looks 95 times better than the original HL1 engine.
:)

You think you got free models for source? Dude, the game is supposed to have 4 models per TEAM! They were supposed to have the models in the beginning when it was released, yet they say they're going to make models and when they do 1 year later THEY ONLY RELEASE ONE PER TEAM!? WTF! How hard is it to make a fucking model.. seriously? I could of learned modeling and made the damn models already. Seriously, slacking job I'd say. :rolleyes:

No, I didn't say I got Source. I just asked if the original HL in the Platinum Pack uses the Source engine on STEAM. Because it doesn't look like it.

I dont' know anything about how this STEAM works. I just tried to see if I could play my old games on STEAM and sure enough it's letting me. I didn't have to rebuy the games I just put my old CD keys in and it gave me HL, OpFor, DS, CS, HL2 Demo, Ragdoll Demo, Ricochet, Darwinia Demo, TFC, Codename Gordon (whatever that is), DoD, Deathmatch Classic.

So, if any of them used the Source engine it would say Source? Does HL2 use the Source engine?

I'm sorry if I'm being newbish but for the longest time I refused to use STEAM because I had misconceptions about it and last night because of this thread I decided to use it. I didn't want to because I thought I would have too repurchase the games I already own. So in all reality, I really don't know anything about how STEAM works, or what they've changed or what uses what.

Source is just a graphics engine, like the Quake3 Engine, Doom3, CryTek etc... It really has nothing to do with steam aside from the fact that many games which use the source engine are available on steam. None of the games based upon Half-Life use the Source engine. Valve did do a remake of Half-Life which they called Half-Life:Source. This used a few features of the source engine, most notably the water effects I believe.

Steam is basically just a content delivery system. It keeps track of all your games and automatically updates them (unless you go into options and tell Steam to not update your games). You can download new content for games through Steam. My favorite feature is the way in which it organizes content. You have all the games at your fingertips, and any modifications to games show up in Steam (at least HL2 mods do). This means you no longer need to have all those separate mods clogging your desktop or whatnot, they all appear in Steam as if they were their own game.

Yes, the ones that use source will usually say so in the title of the game.

I.E. Half-Life:Source, or DoD:S (the latter being the abbreviated way of letting you know) Half Life 2 was built with the source engine, so they don't really denote that to you.

There are (I believe) only 3 official source games out: CS:S, DoD:S, and HL:S

Once you pick up HL2, there are a ton of mods coming out for it that are using the source engine to great effect. One of those is the Goldeneye:Source mod, and the other is the Black Mesa:Source mod listed previously.

Half-Life: Source, is supposed to be totally unworthy of your time, as the graphics haven't been drastically improved over what you are currently playing.

Enjoy the de-coastering!

Kahnvex said:
There are (I believe) only 3 official source games out: CS:S, DoD:S, and HL:S

The SiN episodes as well as Vampires Masquerade: Bloodlines (or something like that) both use the Source engine as well.

Moose777 said:
Ok, so I've been playing Half-Life 1 since about 6:45pm EST and I've got a different opinion of STEAM.

Although I'm still skeptical about not having backups. BUT, I really can't say that. Because I still have my original disks from 1998, 1999, 2000.....

It is kind of nice not having to put my disk in everytime I play. It loads rather quickly. Although, it's not much of a resource hog since it is afterall only HL1.

My assumptions of how STEAM worked was incorrect. I had thought that I would have to repurchase HL1, Op For, and BS. But as it turned out I didn't have to, just use my old CD key from one of my old games gave me the Platinum Package for nothing. Which was nice.

And, well the way it's setup is kind of like BF2. You still log on to STEAM to play the game but it doesn't really do anything. STEAM is more of an interface for your games.

I had no problems installing STEAM or using it, aside for it crashing after I put my Blue Shift CD key in. It took 5 minutes to install HL1 and 30 minutes to completely update it. I was honestly expecting a 3-4 hour update.

Again, I'm still kind of skeptical of it and I think I'm going to run through HL1, Op For and BS before I make any plans to purchase HL2. I don't think I'm going to do any of the online stuff but who knows. I have forgotten how much fun this game is and am really enjoying playing it.

Congratulations!!
And welcome to the Steam Users Club. ( And no I'm not trying to be a smart ass :) )

And you can make a [H]ard Copy of your new Steam Games.
On the opening window of the Steam client, the one with the 3 tabs on it, click files, and it's got a backup function. It'll backup to a CD or DVD Burner or just to a hard drive.
And it backs up everything - including user installed mods, maps, sounds, sprays, CFG files, everything. To re-install you just start the installer that it puts on the first disk.

Also, You can now go to another computer and do the same thing. Install the Steam client and start the d/l of your games, or take your backup files to another machine and install them (much FASTER, Valve's servers are being beat to hell by all us players).
The only caveat is that once you play on one computer Steam will log you on as on that computer and when you go to the other computer it'll tell you that your account has been played on a different computer and that you need to relog back in because your Steam certificate has expired. This is what keeps people from sharing accounts at the same time.

I use it because I've got my nice desk rig and a SFF lan party rig.

And your d/l was pretty quick.....I lost my RAID array last week and to re-d/l CS:S only, it started at 277 minutes....and I'm on a 6 Mb line. :(
I left it up all night to get all my other games.

BTW... If you've got the Platinium Package....You Should Have ALL the games. HL2 included. Check your "My Games" tab in the Client and if HL2 is listed, you've got it. Just D/L and play.

Source is cool because of the "eye candy". It just looks better. If you get HL2 you'll see places where milk cartons are floating in water and it looks REAL. The water effects alone are simply amazing.

If you get/got CS:S and want to get your frag on - come visit my clan's public server at 69.64.170.100:27015 or www.cavorn.com:27015

It's pretty active these days, and it's colocated at a major provider in Atlanta so most peopl get really good pings. Had a guy the other day pingging an 8.

Kahnvex said:
Enjoy the de-coastering!
Thanks hehe. And they are actually still coasters. I just needed the CD key from Blue Shift to get all of them to play. I didn't even have to install them. I just put the BS key into STEAM and after about 20 minutes (it crashed while it was DLing my games) I had all of my old games plus some new ones that I didn't even really want.

Now my next thing, since I still have my original CDs do I really need to backup HL1, BS, and OpFor? Or can I just call it good? Do I really need to make CDs of them or can I just leave them there? And, is there a way to organize where STEAM puts my games? I ask because I noticed it just dumps all of the games I DL and install into a Steamapps directory and it's kind of a mess. Am I allowed to in my games folder make a directory for HL and then move all of HL's files to that folder so it's easier to find? I noticed it let me add the developer line code to the shortcut and it's letting me use the cheats on singleplayer so that is nice, although I'm not so sure what will happen if I decide to install the servers and go online; but I don't plan on playing any of the online games anyway.

Firewall said:
[snip]

1. say valve and steam sucks. They don't, period. Sure, they have glitches, and there server gets raped when they release something new, but who doesn't have glitches.

2. don't have a problem paying for a booster when there are still (from what I hear) some pretty big bugs in the game. Not to mention the whole interface for it sucks IMO.

I agree with most parts. I actually have little hate for valve, apart from steam being somewhat awkward, I like it a lot. I do have some personal issues with EA, for example.

Moose777 said:
Thanks hehe. And they are actually still coasters. I just needed the CD key from Blue Shift to get all of them to play. I didn't even have to install them. I just put the BS key into STEAM and after about 20 minutes (it crashed while it was DLing my games) I had all of my old games plus some new ones that I didn't even really want.

Now my next thing, since I still have my original CDs do I really need to backup HL1, BS, and OpFor? Or can I just call it good? Do I really need to make CDs of them or can I just leave them there? And, is there a way to organize where STEAM puts my games? I ask because I noticed it just dumps all of the games I DL and install into a Steamapps directory and it's kind of a mess. Am I allowed to in my games folder make a directory for HL and then move all of HL's files to that folder so it's easier to find? I noticed it let me add the developer line code to the shortcut and it's letting me use the cheats on singleplayer so that is nice, although I'm not so sure what will happen if I decide to install the servers and go online; but I don't plan on playing any of the online games anyway.

No you dont need to backup the games as long as you can remember your account. Basically Valve now knows that your Steam account has legal access to those games that you have. They will now let you download any games you own at any time on any computer so long as you are logged into Steam under your account. If you have broadband there is no reason to backup your games. I usually get really good speeds on Valve's network (upwards of 1MB/s).

As for moving the files, why would you want to? You dont launch the game from the steamapps folder, it does everything through Steam. I think moving the files would mess up steam, as it looks for the stuff in steamapps. However I have never tried moving the files before either.

rodsfree said:
Congratulations!!
And welcome to the Steam Users Club. ( And no I'm not trying to be a smart ass :) )

And you can make a [H]ard Copy of your new Steam Games.
On the opening window of the Steam client, the one with the 3 tabs on it, click files, and it's got a backup function. It'll backup to a CD or DVD Burner or just to a hard drive.
And it backs up everything - including user installed mods, maps, sounds, sprays, CFG files, everything. To re-install you just start the installer that it puts on the first disk.

Also, You can now go to another computer and do the same thing. Install the Steam client and start the d/l of your games, or take your backup files to another machine and install them (much FASTER, Valve's servers are being beat to hell by all us players).
The only caveat is that once you play on one computer Steam will log you on as on that computer and when you go to the other computer it'll tell you that your account has been played on a different computer and that you need to relog back in because your Steam certificate has expired. This is what keeps people from sharing accounts at the same time.

I use it because I've got my nice desk rig and a SFF lan party rig.

And your d/l was pretty quick.....I lost my RAID array last week and to re-d/l CS:S only, it started at 277 minutes....and I'm on a 6 Mb line. :(
I left it up all night to get all my other games.

BTW... If you've got the Platinium Package....You Should Have ALL the games. HL2 included. Check your "My Games" tab in the Client and if HL2 is listed, you've got it. Just D/L and play.

Source is cool because of the "eye candy". It just looks better. If you get HL2 you'll see places where milk cartons are floating in water and it looks REAL. The water effects alone are simply amazing.

If you get/got CS:S and want to get your frag on - come visit my clan's public server at 69.64.170.100:27015 or www.cavorn.com:27015

It's pretty active these days, and it's colocated at a major provider in Atlanta so most peopl get really good pings. Had a guy the other day pingging an 8.

Thanks, I don't have Half-Life 2 retail. It gave me the demo. I also don't have any of the other games that use the Source engine either. Just vanialla. I have a bunch of demos.

To give you an idea of what my accoutn has and what I got with the Platinum pack heres a screenie, hopefully you can see what I got. But I just got the HL2 demo. Now, if I'm supposed to have HL2 how do I go about getting it?

Remember this is all because I already own the original games that came out in the late 90's and early 00's. So the Platninum package might be different than teh Plat pack you get today.

Steam_001.jpg

*edit*
I don't have any of the games installed on this computer, this is my net surfing rig the games are installed on my AMD gaming rig.

He was just confused. He thought you were referring to the Gold or Silver HL2 Package which you can purchase online directly from Valve. I bought HL2 Silver a long time ago and has been well worth the 50$ since it includes every single Valve game ever, and DoD:S :D

One thing Valve has a history of doing is hyping up games and then missing promised release dates. They've done this with HL2 and the TF2 issue is inexcusible.

EA has certainly had delays...but with as many games as they release I can't remember a 2 or even 5 year delay on any of their games.

As far as I know EA has stuck to release dates and consistantly released quality products. Like any other pub/dev not everything they release is going to be a great game (at least not to everyone)

Erasmus354 said:
He was just confused. He thought you were referring to the Gold or Silver HL2 Package which you can purchase online directly from Valve. I bought HL2 Silver a long time ago and has been well worth the 50$ since it includes every single Valve game ever, and DoD:S :D
Ahh, I see so I suppose then the Plat pack was pretty much a free upgrade for those who already owned the game.

In retrospect I probably should have given Steam a little more credit and actualyl ahd given it a try a long time ago.

Moose777 said:
Ahh, I see so I suppose then the Plat pack was pretty much a free upgrade for those who already owned the game.

In retrospect I probably should have given Steam a little more credit and actualyl ahd given it a try a long time ago.
Nice turn around, most people would have just stayed quiet rather than changed their opinion :)

I myself got the silver pack. I was hoping HL:S would be redone completely but it only had a few visual upgrades and used the source physics engine. It's not a bad update but I didn't play it all the way through again.

WorldRunner said:
One thing Valve has a history of doing is hyping up games and then missing promised release dates. They've done this with HL2 and the TF2 issue is inexcusible.

EA has certainly had delays...but with as many games as they release I can't remember a 2 or even 5 year delay on any of their games.

As far as I know EA has stuck to release dates and consistantly released quality products. Like any other pub/dev not everything they release is going to be a great game (at least not to everyone)
I would honestly take multiple delays if the game lived up to the hype, as I think HL2 did. I'm not impressed by most of EA's games, and their "franchise" games never seem to get much better year after year. I've always been a Madden fan, but I'd like to see them do something different. Too bad they have no competition when it comes to the NFL :eek:

Back