• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Value VX OCing on 3200 Venice

adg1034

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
370
I just got a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D motherboard, one gig of OCZ Value VX RAM, and a Athlon 64 3200+ Venice (E6 stepping). How would you (the forum regulars) go about overclocking this system? I know I can get somewhere around 2.7GHz out of the Venice, but I don't know what HTT/multiplier combination to use, or what that would mean in terms of the memory specs. I'm a longtime computer enthusiast, but first-time manual overclocker (I've only used the utility that comes with the motherboard in the past), so any help you guys can give will be appreciated.

Thanks.

-adg1034
 
Raise the ram voltage up to 3.5'ish if you have some form of active cooling on it (just pop an 80mm on top with rubberbands if you can't figure out a better way), set the ram timings to 2-2-2-6, and begin upping the HTT. I'd start somewhere around 220 and go up in 5mhz increments. You're ram is likely going to require some burn in for it to operate at it's peak speed, so after a few days running the ram at whatever top speed you find, try raising it some more.

Now to test the max cpu speed you can get, set the board to 180 or 166 bus (this simply invokes a divider on the ram), and raise your HTT higher keeping the ram as close as you can to the previously found top speed. For instance, if you found your ram was stable at 240mhz, you can attempt to run the HTT at 270 with a 180 bus (9/10 divider).

Let us know how it goes!
 
Thanks. It's just getting shipped from eWiz, so it might be a week or so, but I certainly will update when I'm done (and probably ask questions to you guys, as well.)
 
Back
Top