Value 360/PS3 games?

Domingo

Fully [H]
Since we've hit the summer doldrums with no major game releases, I've started poring through the "greatest hits" and value bins for games I missed.
I picked up Dead Space (which is awesome) for $25 and I'm going to be grabbing either Dead Rising or Lost Planet for $20 today. Mirror's Edge is also only $25.

What are some other games that are really good but either got lost in the mix or are a greatest hit now?

I figure a list of really good cheap games would be helpful for the summer.

Oblivion GOTY edition is 29.99 which includes game, and 2 addons. (played it 12 hours this weekend!)

Army of Two is 20 bucks, almost have it beat. Its not bad, not great either, but fairly short (10 hours or less), good graphics, and decent gameplay. Not bad for 20.

MASS EFFECT! Platinum hits now for 20. In my top 5 360 games, highly suggest getting if you dont have it.

Sub $30 games I'd suggest:

MGS4
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Burnout Paradise
Crackdown
Assassin's Creed
Lost Odyssey
Civilization Revolution

EBgames/Gamestop have sales going on right now and you can get a bunch of games for cheap. Oblivion, Prince of Persia, Wheelman, Bionic Commando, Hawx, Battlefield: Bad Company, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Army of Two, Mirror's Edge, Lost Planet, Overlord (1), Condemned 2, Mercenaries 2, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Skate (1) and more are all $20. A few like Dark Sector are $10. I picked up Bionic Commando for 20 bucks and despite it's mediocre reviews and dismal sales, it's a decent game for $20.

what about XBLA titles? Worms 2:Armageddon was just released. I'm actually thinking about getting another xbox for that game :D The control scheme on the PC version of worms annoys the shit out of me

Since we've hit the summer doldrums with no major game releases, I've started poring through the "greatest hits" and value bins for games I missed.
I picked up Dead Space (which is awesome) for $25 and I'm going to be grabbing either Dead Rising or Lost Planet for $20 today. Mirror's Edge is also only $25.

What are some other games that are really good but either got lost in the mix or are a greatest hit now?

I figure a list of really good cheap games would be helpful for the summer.

mass effect
crackdown
dead rising
blue dragon (10 bucks on newegg last time I looked)
dark sector (8.99 on newegg last time I checked)
burnout paradise

Tomb Raider Underworld is cheap as chips now (just picked it up new at the equivalent of $16) and has so far been quite good.....if your into puzzles that is.

I actually heard one day this week their going to be running Dead Space for 19.99 and Bioshock for 9.99 at Gamestop for 360/PS3 which in imo Dead Space is about 10 times better than RE5.

I actually heard one day this week their going to be running Dead Space for 19.99 and Bioshock for 9.99 at Gamestop for 360/PS3 which in imo Dead Space is about 10 times better than RE5.

Yup, Dead Space is about 10x better than RE5. I just won it yesterday...hence my need for another cheap game. From what I recall, it came out right when Fallout 3, Fable 2, Gears 2, and pretty much every other good game from last year hit. It got lost in the mix, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's like a cross between RE, Bioshock, and the movie Event Horizon. Best $25 (new) game I've bought in years.

My argument might be kind of weird, but if you want value, look at Disgaea 3 for PS3. It just got a trophy patch last week, so I'm starting through it again, when I've already got 120 hours invested. Who knows how many more hours I'll put into it. Gamestop sells it new for $40 or used for $35, and you will not get a better return on your gaming investment. I mean, we're talking about hours per dollar, not dollars per hour. Mirror's edge will cost you $4 per hour of story. Disgaea 3 will cost about 33 cents per hour if you play it 120 hours and get obsessive about it.

My argument might be kind of weird, but if you want value, look at Disgaea 3 for PS3. It just got a trophy patch last week, so I'm starting through it again, when I've already got 120 hours invested. Who knows how many more hours I'll put into it. Gamestop sells it new for $40 or used for $35, and you will not get a better return on your gaming investment. I mean, we're talking about hours per dollar, not dollars per hour. Mirror's edge will cost you $4 per hour of story. Disgaea 3 will cost about 33 cents per hour if you play it 120 hours and get obsessive about it.
Much as I like Disgaea 3, it's very much an acquired taste. I think Fallout 3 and/or Oblivion would have similar playtimes and much broader appeal.

Generally speaking, I'd probably agree, for me, coming from Shining Force 1 and 2 on Genesis and Shining Force 3 on Saturn, Disgaea was a natural progression. I personally hated Oblivion (and Morrowind, for that matter) and avoided Fallout 3 because of it. If you like a MMORPG-style grind but hate MMORPG-style people (this is definitely a category into which I fall), Disgaea 3 is perfect. Also, if you like your stories with Teh Funnay and enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea 3 is also for you.

But if you haven't played Fallout 1 or 2, I could whole-heartedly recommend those.

Going up to the recommendation from crankypsp about Devil May Cry 4, I also agree there. The PC port (which is what I played) is remarkably well done and it's pretty light on the system requirements. My Athlon X2 + 8800GT could play it at 1440x900 with 4xAA and the FPS counter not once (that I could tell) dropped below 60. But since this is a PS3/360 thread, it supposedly runs very well on either console.

Last edited:
Back