valkrey profile got breath taking graphic!!!

NewMonster

Limp Gawd
can u believe that valkrey profile 2 will be on the ps2 with the graphjic like that??? mann it lo0ks more of a game in next gen console like ps3!!!

i love Tiina

Id hate to burst your bubble, but those graphics arent that unbelievable. In fact, to my eyes they're plain ordinary.

OMoT said:
Id hate to burst your bubble, but those graphics arent that unbelievable. In fact, to my eyes they're plain ordinary.

omg!! u really mean it? i mean how many games on the ps2 has this kind of graphic?? its very impressive!!! so far i see this is the best graphic in a ps2..... valrey profile push the ps2 hardware to its full potential

Evaluate the game when it comes out. Screenshots have a habit of not properly representing the game at times. Sometimes they don't do a game justice, but they also often exxagerate what's really there.

The design of the characters and environments in those screens are beautiful, in an artsy kind of way.

I'm glad to see that the developers have an eye for the aesthetic.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Looks like they took the characters out of some random Japanese/Korean/Chinese MMORPG. Doesn't look amazing at all, IMO.

Also, notice the absolutely dreadful shadows, the overused bloom and overly shiny "fighting-effects".

my opinion

yes, that's very impressive for the PS2

however, i think those are probably screenshots from CGI cut scenes, not actual gameplay

and also, am i the only one that thinks those look very much like they were rendered on the Source engine?

however, i think those are probably screenshots from CGI cut scenes, not actual gameplay

no its really the gameplay i can gurantee that..... however some of the screenie there are cg scene also. look at the screenshot where u see special effects white light lo0king..... that is diffinitly gameplay and look at the bowman and the swordsgirl.... lo0k at the charecter modeling.... lo0k at the enviorment... so0 nicely detailed! crisp and sharp!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

some of people usually get mix up..... mostly a regular casual gamer.... their eyes are not an eye of a true graphic guru..... hmmm kindda difficult to explain.... ummm ok lets put it this way.....

a cell-shade game such as crimson tears or dragonquest 8..... and a gran turismo4 or final fantasy 10up..... dragonquest/crimson tears and gran turismo/final fantasy both have totally different type of graphic...... dragonquest/crimson tears is a cell-shaded graphic engine while gran turismo/final fantasy is a non cell shade graphic.... see? so they cannot be compare since they are different type of graphic. my bro said on final fantasy 10 and dragon quest 8 graphic which is better ... he says final fantasy.. see? he is amatuer on graphic.... he does not kno that they are 2 different type of graphic, well umm some of u may of disagree and dont think the graphic of valkrey profile is not all that.... i umm whats the word for it...... respect! i respect ur opinion but my opinion remains the same.

valkrey profile graphic is like grandia3 type of graphic. valkrey profile is one of the best graphic for ps2 out there!!! im very amazed and lo0king foward for it when it cums out.

nobody_here said:
and also, am i the only one that thinks those look very much like they were rendered on the Source engine?

Uhhhh, no... it looks nothing like the Source engine.

NewMonster, why do you always have an o then a 0 following it? Such as lo0k,so0. The graphics look decent for PS2. Looks similar to FFX to me, more detailed landscape though.

dj_2004 said:
NewMonster, why do you always have an o then a 0 following it? Such as lo0k,so0. The graphics look decent for PS2. Looks similar to FFX to me, more detailed landscape though.

go0d question... maybe a bad habit from a 13 year old chat ro0m iw a sin when i was a teen like sum1 saided in here b4 but forgot who.

landscape is very indeed detailed! i could of believe that this is a ps3 title if people lie to me!

edit = yes it lo0ks like ff....only the landscape enviorment graphic.... but the charecter modling is totaly different... ff is more like a reality type and valkrey profile is their own fantasy type of charecter modeling. lo0ks kindda like an anime

Ps3 this is not. It has some nice lighting but all of the gameplay screens are very small which leads me to believe this is prerendered stuff. Overall it looks nice but is not stunning in any way.

Why is it, if being rendered by a PS2, that these screenshots are a much higher resolution than 480p? And no, they are not enlarged for easier viewing, they are much too sharp for that.

I wasn't aware of the fact that the PS2 outputted higher than 480p.

digitalmind said:
Why is it, if being rendered by a PS2, that these screenshots are a much higher resolution than 480p? And no, they are not enlarged for easier viewing, they are much too sharp for that.

I wasn't aware of the fact that the PS2 outputted higher than 480p.

PS2 can do 1080i just fine aswell.

Yeah, PS2 can display up to 1080i, just like Xbox and Gamecube can. The thing is, with PS2 only Gran Turismo 4 and like two other games can play at that resolution and I believe only Xbox Live arcade games like the original Geometry Wars display at higher resolutions than 480p with Xbox.

Now, about Valkyrie Profile... this game has very good graphics for PS2. However, you have to realize that Square games have a very high mix of CG and real-time effects. There are going to be completely CG cutscenes. It no doubt uses heavily the one good thing about the PS2 GPU - namely, the ability to render real-time custom effects. However, it looks like to me during the battle scenes it uses an effect similar to what the Grandia games used in that spells are actually transparent movie layers placed over the real-time graphics. The graphics are good for PS2.

Now, this is why the graphics are definitely not PS3-quality:
- The models are very low in quality compared to even some Xbox titles. The AA does some smoothing out, but the blocky character legs and arms are definitely there.
- The textures are very low in resolution. This can be seen on the walls of the cave in the battle screenshots.
- There is no real-time shadow rendering. They are sprites.
- In case NewMonster thinks that screenshots 3 and 7 are real-time... they are not. They are CG.

PWMK2 said:
- In case NewMonster thinks that screenshots 3 and 7 are real-time... they are not. They are CG.

Actually those are ingame models, The game is played on a 2D Field so Square was able to push higher quality models since not much is really drawn on screen. Square can do alot better with CG. :p

As for teh Xbox not being able to go above 480p, thats untrue. Enter the Matrix and Dragons Lair both can be played in 720p and 1080i.

DaCoOlNeSs said:
hey look I found a better looking game for PS2:

http://www.granturismoworld.com/
:rolleyes:
561066_20050222_screen056.jpg

Not really, GT4 looks like crap

It looks like crap because the hardware used for the screengrab is crap. It's a sweet looking game (Although I'd never buy it.).

And while the cutsceens in VP look nice, the in-game looks normal.

|MaguS| said:
Actually those are ingame models, The game is played on a 2D Field so Square was able to push higher quality models since not much is really drawn on screen. Square can do alot better with CG. :p

As for teh Xbox not being able to go above 480p, thats untrue. Enter the Matrix and Dragons Lair both can be played in 720p and 1080i.

I said Xbox can display above 480p.

Got any proof that screenshots 3 and 7 are in-game? Because I'm not really seeing it being real-time, being a PS2 game and all, even with a 2D background. The textures on the model there would probably use more memory than the PS2 even has, LOL.

Coldtronius said:
Wrong....PS2 is maxed at 480P.

WRONG

The PS2 supports 1080i through component cables *if* the game supports it :rolleyes:

On a side note, Coldtronius is a troll.

Also, GT4 looks like crap (yes, I owned it). RE4 for Gamecube was the best looking game of last generation

PWMK2 said:
Got any proof that screenshots 3 and 7 are in-game? Because I'm not really seeing it being real-time, being a PS2 game and all, even with a 2D background. The textures on the model there would probably use more memory than the PS2 even has, LOL.

Look at how horrible the background looks on the 7th screenshot, as for proof ingeneral. I have none since I haven't played it but after playing every square game released, I could honestly say that if those were CG shots then they would be the worse square has ever done... The hair is a dead give away that its not Squares CG... they go into alot more detail.

Oh and the PS2 can do better then that aswell...
459841_20060508_screen007.jpg

Yes that is 100% ingame rendering.

and this is Square quality CG

459841_20060508_screen002.jpg

Same technique as in many other games (Like RE4): There are two or three models for different uses - In-game Cutsceenes and actual play. And the top shot is in game. Look at the faceted geometry.

|MaguS| said:
Yup, and Freedom Fighters is playable in 720p. It looks so good on an HDTV :D

CodeX said:
RE4 for Gamecube was the best looking game of last generation
Ever play God of War running in 480p?

MrBojangels said:
:rolleyes:
561066_20050222_screen056.jpg

well maybe if the photo wasnt taken with some shitty editors camera phone it would show what the game actually looked like. anyone that thinks that gt4 looks like crap is either blind...or well, blind

LOL I laughed when I read this thread. The OP sounds nothing short of a developer working on this title trying his best to promote the game.

Graphics = meh... PS2 = meh. I'll pass.

lozaning said:
well maybe if the photo wasnt taken with some shitty editors camera phone it would show what the game actually looked like. anyone that thinks that gt4 looks like crap is either blind...or well, blind
Oh, we get our panties in a bunch when someone actually finds gameplay screenshots of a game?
561066_20050222_screen033.jpg

I cannot believe you are saying these are camera phone screenshots.....these are direct framebuffer grabs

PS2 can not RENDER 1080i, it renderes 640x480 and upscales GT4

|MaguS| said:
Oh and the PS2 can do better then that aswell...

I have played the import version of FFXII. Posting screenshots of it aren't going to make me understand what you're saying any more, LOL.

|MaguS| said:
Yes that is 100% ingame rendering.

Yeah, it is. No kidding. :rolleyes:

|MaguS| said:
and this is Square quality CG

Listen. Square's quality of CG differs from game to game. Plus, all I said was that I didn't believe screenshots 3 and 7 were in-game. I could be wrong. However, it seems to me that a model with that many textures would be a no-go on the PS2. And the "bad background" you mentioned earlier is blurred out so we can't tell if it is highly-detailed or not. It seems to me an in-game cutscene with only one model anyway would be kind of pointless, so there's probably more than one of those types of models loaded at one time. Which really seems out of the question to me considering the PS2 has about 24MB of shared RAM for everything.

PS2 can push those kinds of textures. The tools available for palletizing textures for the PS2 are really good, and greatly reduce the size of the images(Somtimes images are a fraction of what they were). Thus reducing the amont of texture memory.

And the reason why the CG varies from game to game is because parts are sent to other studios to animate/model.

MrBojangels said:
I cannot believe you are saying these are camera phone screenshots.....these are direct framebuffer grabs
No they are not. To get a direct framebuffer grab you will need a PS2 Dev kit and the sourcecode.. not the PS2 debug/test kit reviewers have.

The VP shots are a mix of in-game and rendered movies which has been said already. Typical Square stuff. This is normal for the end of a consoles life: Games are looking more and more kick-ass.

Lamont said:
This is normal for the end of a consoles life: Games are looking more and more kick-ass.
Yeah I remember people claiming that the PS2 always has horrible load times... guess God of War and Shadow of the Colossus proved that wrong aswell. :D

Yeah, games like VP have had years of indirect R&D from other products to help make it what it is. People talk, people learn.

Back