• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

VA ONLY for me from now on

SpartanGR

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
123
Only VA for me from now on. Bought LG 27EA83 at the very cheap price of 900€ or 1170$ and guess what. Full of backlight bleed in the botton left corner. FUCK!!!

Unacceptable for a 1000$ monitor. F*** you IPS. Now i have to send it back and lets hope i get full refund for this piece of shit.

I should have listened to my friends.
 
not really anything to do with the panel technolgy at all, that's down to build, quality control etc. You'll equally see issues with TN Film and VA panels depending on the cost and market
 
not really anything to do with the panel technolgy at all, that's down to build, quality control etc. You'll equally see issues with TN Film and VA panels depending on the cost and market

Well a 1000$ monitor isn't expensive enough?
 
i just meant in relation to pro grade models from NEC, Eizo etc. not saying it's acceptable as its not, just that you could have that problem on any model really, and it's not dependent on the panel tech used
 
27'' Nec / Eizo panels cost 2000$ and up. Not exactly mainstream right?
 
Last edited:
Due to the light requirements for the way pixels are shown, I believe IPS is more prone to bleed that VA is. Or at least I've read something like that, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So it does come down to build quality, but VA may bleed less even with so-so quality control.
 
VA has gamma shift though, doesn't it?

For the great contrast it has, that would suck, along with the black crush.
 
I played Eve online which is a pretty dark game since it is in space, on a VA monitor and. Othing comes close to it. Not 120hz tn, not the 144hz lightboost asus, not the U3011. I loved it for relatively slow paced dark games and high contrast desktop applications. Hours of looking at a screen working on simulation models was easier on my eyes since i could see all details on electrical circuits connected with very thin lines without any additinal brightness or backlight push. So for my applications i think VA is also a better choice.
 
Ya, I've decided to just go gay. I mean I went on a date with this one girl and it was just awful. So no more women for me from now on!

Seriously man, that is how silly your shit sounds. If you like VA monitors, no problems. Buy what you like, that is always how it should be for person computer stuff. However hating IPS because you got a single bad monitor is as silly as hating women because you went on a single bad date. Yes, there are monitors out there with flaws. We have received monitors here at work that were flat out broken, didn't function out of the box. We have also received monitors of the same model that were near flawless, no dead pixels, good uniformity, etc. Shit happens.

In terms of back-light bleed, I had worse bleed on my BenQ FP241W than I do now on my NEC PA301W. In neither case was it bad, but the BenQ did have a bit of noticeable bleed, at low light levels, the NEC has none. That isn't because VA is bad, just that particular monitor I got had a bit.

Finally, if you think that a company's marketing materials are accurate, think again. Sorry, VAs still do have colour shift. They've gotten much better, but they do have it. Now that may be perfectly fine with you but don't believe the marketing hype that it is gone. You should know that companies love to put out fluff for marketing. Every product is the greatest ever, according to the company that made it.
 
"Ya, I've decided to just go gay"

Maybe you had it in you and you didn't know. But that's your problem. I'm talking monitors man.
 
What kind of VA is there to actually buy, though? The BenQ models look good, but half of them aren't available in the US and come at an idiotic pixel pitch. 1080p at 27"?...
 
While I like VA panels the reasoning the OP gave is just plain retarded.

Btw I like the gay analogy.
 
"Ya, I've decided to just go gay"

Maybe you had it in you and you didn't know. But that's your problem. I'm talking monitors man.

It's an analogy son, and a Bash reference. Trying to humorously point out the silliness of your position. Swearing on to only one monitor technology because you had a single bad experience is very silly. There's nothing wrong with liking VA if you've tried things and like it better. However it is still to say "I have one bad IPS so no more IPS EVAR!" You keep that up and some day you get a bad VA panel and then what?
 
Sycraft's analogy was awesome

Samsung has some new VA panels, see this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1731815&highlight=

I've seen the S24A650S (4ms Version) at my local London Drugs (Canada) and it had a grainy matte coating which is a shame since the older BenQ VA panels (EW/VW/BL2400) had semi-glossy coating and the 8ms 650D did too.

If I were to get a VA panel now I would get the BenQ BL2400 or 8ms Samsung S24A650D since they are semi-glossy, have a height adjustable stands and only costs 180-210$ in Canada. The response times are worse than the GW series but neither have good response times,imo the HAS and semi-glossy coating makes up for it being slower. The Dell S2440L overshoots unlike a boss and is too reflective for me.
 
Last edited:
I have four IPS monitors without a hint of backlight bleed in any of them. I briefly owned an LG monitor that had terrible backlight bleed with progressive rot. I returned it.

It could be that LG has never figured out how to mount their own panels in monitor frames. The IPS panels in all of my monitors are very loose. I think any pressure near the edge of a panel will cause backlight bleed.
 
Well, as far as improvements made, I would have to say that it is quite clear. I still have my Samsung 215TW, and I brought it out of storage and fired it up next to my S2440L after i bought the monitor a while ago. As I remembered, the 215TW had some very bad gamma shifting and black crush. It was pretty obvious, and didn't need much of a different angle to show it. My S2440L really needs an extreme angle for me to notice it and to have it negatively impact what i'm looking at. I find blacks to have good detail and very much enjoy the dark shots. I play some games, like Counter Strike: Global Offensive and find it to have very smooth motions, too. While I doubt it has been 100% eliminated, they certainly have improved black crush and gamma shift.
 
Recent batches of BL2400 use the same panel and coating as GW2450HM someone reported (and proved) in the GW2x50 thread. Not sure about the old EW,VW models, though.
 
Last edited:
The Samsung 215tw, which I owned, was generally acknowledged to have more black crush/gamma shift problems than other S-PVA monitors of that time (about six years ago). I found it noticeable but not bothersome. I loved the blacks on that monitor. I now use the Samsung 244t every day (writing and photo editing) and its gamma shift does not bother me at all. Not all S-PVA monitors are the same.
 
Have $1000? Talk to Vega here on the forums and see if he has any Sony FW900's. Best monitor money can buy. Period.
 
Just not the best monitor space, heat, the environment, or power bill will allow.

Oh come on that's a low blow. Heat output with my current 21" CRT monitor is no higher than it was with my last IPS panel, environment I don't get as any monitor in the garbage is a bad thing, and power differences are negligible at best. An extra $1 on the power bill...if that...for the greatest picture out there...oh no!
 
Have $1000? Talk to Vega here on the forums and see if he has any Sony FW900's. Best monitor money can buy. Period.

Not really. I had an FW900 and a G500 at the same time. Text quality is crap compared to even most TN's, they take a while to warm up and properly display colors, and they're really better suited to cinematography/photo work than any kind of office work. For gaming they're OK but I'm not sure I'd want to game on a 24" monitor with larger screens available.

They're finicky now too that they're older and repairs are a pain.
 
Oh come on that's a low blow. Heat output with my current 21" CRT monitor is no higher than it was with my last IPS panel, environment I don't get as any monitor in the garbage is a bad thing, and power differences are negligible at best. An extra $1 on the power bill...if that...for the greatest picture out there...oh no!

Modern LED LCD's run at around 24W-35W. Some hit a bit higher.
Sony FW900 is at 170W.
That's like saying there is no difference in a Hummer vs. a Hybrid in gas millage.
CRT's are muscle cars imo. I loved them. There time has past and we still are not as close as we need to be on the replacements unfortunately. I know where you are coming from. It is very much like the auto industry.
 
Not really. I had an FW900 and a G500 at the same time. Text quality is crap compared to even most TN's, they take a while to warm up and properly display colors, and they're really better suited to cinematography/photo work than any kind of office work. For gaming they're OK but I'm not sure I'd want to game on a 24" monitor with larger screens available.

They're finicky now too that they're older and repairs are a pain.

Text quality is always a problem on CRT monitors. I think something that CRT enthusiasts forget, is the advantages in clarity and geometry that LCDs offer. I remember when I had my CRT I used to spend hours trying to calibrate the geometry to get the image as large as possible, but also square and properly aligned. Then of course there was focus, convergence, and all that jazz. It really was quite a pain in the butt.

Also CRTs have trouble getting bright. When you turn the brightness up too much, they start to get bleed and you further lose clarity. Hence why many gamers got used to playing games in a completely dark room.It's actually quite nice to be able to use your computer with the lights on. You want to keep them behind the monitor, of course, so you don't get glare but you can have the lights on see you can see what you're doing. LCDs can handle that, because they can get bright very easily.

I'm not saying CRTs don't have good points, but I think enthusiasts too often point out their good points and forget their bad points. Even the very best CRTs are not as good as the worst LCDs when it comes to geometry, convergence, or focus. This is gotten worse given that CRTs these days are all old and these problems get worse as they age.
 
Back
Top