• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UV Lighting without the purple glow?

FireBean

Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
994
Title says it all, is there a ways to get the some UV parts to glow without getting the purple hue?
 
Ultra Violet, and you don't like purple? Well I guess it is time to get away from CC tubes and hit up some UV LED's.
 
Still going to create the purple glow, regardless of the source. Unless you get some specialized and probably much more expensive versions.

You would need ultraviolet lighting filters on your case window is my best guess. I don't really mind the purple glow though, since it is right at the side of my case where the panel is, and out of sight from the windows. The parts that are glowing will be much brighter than the glow.
 
Should be able to get some sort of filter that cuts out the longer wavelength (lower energy) purple light and lets the UV pass.
 
Where the hell can I find these filters?
My goal here is glowing blue coolent, white lite insides (using a light plexiglass type of thingy), and making my own White Edition 700D. I will have a work log :)
 
IMHO your best bet is a VERY small 10w UVB fluorescent tube lamp. These tend to glow "grey" without any washout purple. A 10W UVB bulb will TAN YOU UP CLOSE, so absolutely do not go larger than that.

Also, a 10w UVB fluorescent lamp will make your UV reactive things glow MUCH brighter, but may damage their non-fluorescing hues over time.

I don't know of any filters that will block light above 400nm and let light below it pass, many exist to do the opposite.
 
IMHO your best bet is a VERY small 10w UVB fluorescent tube lamp. These tend to glow "grey" without any washout purple. A 10W UVB bulb will TAN YOU UP CLOSE, so absolutely do not go larger than that.

Also, a 10w UVB fluorescent lamp will make your UV reactive things glow MUCH brighter, but may damage their non-fluorescing hues over time.

I don't know of any filters that will block light above 400nm and let light below it pass, many exist to do the opposite.

Do know of anywhere I can find this. I've look all over the place. I really don't want to drive around town because no one here know jack shit about anything but jets. (Wichita, Ks)(Fuck this place)
 
Uhm, honestly, you'll likely have to look at bulb suppliers. The UV fixtures will likely be T4, 8cm <10w @ 350nm (barely visible grey-ish purple).

Some bug lamps have the grey UV lamps that you want... But don't expect to find one that's 12v... If you really want this, you'll have to bring in AC power and use a relay.
 
that's the opposite of what he wants. He wants to let the UV light through and BLOCK all the visible light (or at least not have the violet hue).

I just did some quick research on UV lighting and the colors you see are in the visible spectrum. Blocking all UV light coming out of the case will only let the illuminated light come out. Isn't that exactly what is needed?
 
I just did some quick research on UV lighting and the colors you see are in the visible spectrum. Blocking all UV light coming out of the case will only let the illuminated light come out. Isn't that exactly what is needed?
The problem is he wants things in his case to glow, but he doesn't want any of that violet hue that is associated with UV lights. He wants all of that invisible ultraviolet to hit the "glowy" material and let it shine visible light. So no, he doesn't really care to block UV from coming out of the case, he doesn't want any violet light shining through.


1)We were discussing a filter to stop all the violet hue right at the source, and let the UV radiation through.

2)However, your idea may work too, make the side windows the actual filter, except that it would have to block all the visible violet radiation, and let through all of the other visible radiation. It would be irrelevant, at the point though, whether or not it lets through uv radiation.

I am familiar with filters that do the first, wood's glass for example. I don't know of filters that specifically block just the violet colors and let all the other colors pass
 
I think the only solution is to find a bulb that arc was talking about. Either that or quit being so anal about the violet glow, and deal with it. :\
 
Ok, I have done more looking around and it is considered unsafe to use a 350nm UVB light in an open environment. I would have to put the UVB filter on the window as well. Not the big of a deal. Here is the kicker. I found 1w LEDs for $60 a pop...

damn!
 
Back
Top