uTorrent woes on Vista

D4rkside

Limp Gawd
So... I recently put Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, and am running Vista 32 bit. One of the first apps I installed was uTorrent, naturally, and I am having some troubles getting decent speeds in uTorrent on Vista. When I go to OS X, using Transmission I can torrent perfectly fine, it is just broken in Vista. I'm trying to figure out what could be the problem..but can't come up with anything that's worked.

A possible confliction I thought of was Avira (my AV) as I'm not using Avira on any other machine in the house, just trying it for the first time so I'm not familiar with what it gets along with and doesn't, etc.

Any general help would be much appreciated...I've tried the basics like disabling firewall (and uTorrent is an exception on the Firewall list, obviously so I shouldn't need to do that). Not really sure what to do, the client is set up the same as my Transmission on OS X, but just not working the same.

I'm using Avira and uTorrent, works perfectly for me on Vista x64. Are you using a router? Might need to do some port forwarding if you haven't already. Do you have a green check mark on the bottom of uTorrent, or a yellow triangle/exclamation point?

Yea, it's a yellow triangle. I was reading up on Port Forwarding, but I didn't have to do it on the Mac, and the weirder thing is that both my room mates are running uTorrent with Vista x32, and they can torrent just fine and neither of them port forwarded, and are behind the same router as me (Linksys WRT160N). That's the only reason I haven't port forwarded yet, because they haven't so I figured it was just something else. When I tried to port forward, I got to the part where I need to sign into the router to change the configurations (I had set up a static IP already at this point), and when I go to log in via IE 7 (entering the IP address in the address bar) it says "401 Authorization Required Unauthorized" or some such shite. I know I'm typing in the user name and password right though, as I was there when we set up the router, etc. Perhaps one of my roomies changed the settings so that he was the only admin on the network, IDK, but it's been annoying :(

I'll try to get it all straightened out, but for now looks like I'm Leopard bound for the forseeable future. Heh, this experience really makes me wish uTorrent was out on OS X already...I know it's coming but I don't want to wait :p Windows always has so many technical hiccups to work around :(

You are gonna have the same issue on OSX with uTorrent (if it was available). You need to properly forward the ports no matter what OS you use.

Neither of my room mates had to, and I don't have to with Transmission. It's something else that's wrong...not too worried about it, just torrenting on OS X for now. Still working on figuring it out.

Maybe your UPNP isn't functioning correctly? Sometimes I have found it buggy. I'd recommend like others, try setting up ports manually if you haven't.

Back on the linksys firmware, UPNP would get hosed, wouldn't work right, wouldn't always open ports, etc. My thoughts are your Linksys firmware may be hosed, may have gottens ome UPNP ports forwards and then frozen, some aspect of it's UPNP protocal is no longer able to open any more ports, or something.

Using DDWRT now on my linksys and it's solid, works reliable 100% of time for myself and roommates and our various laptops.

I'm not familiar with how bootcamp works but if it's something like VM Ware where it runs Windows in a shell and creates virtual devices it could be your router is having a problem by thinking there is another network interface card with a different mac address.

Back