uTorrent on WHS and a few q's about WSH

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
I heard that you can install uTorrent directly into WHS. However, I was wondering if this was not affected by the corruption bug that WHS has since the files are directly edited in WHS...or am I not fully understanding the corruption bug?

Secondly, can you do virtualization in WHS? Thirdly, what exactly is the issue with 64bit Vista and WHS - I heard you can't do direct backups or something?

No idea regarding utorrent, but the corruption bug only comes into play when you are working with files through the redirector service, as in you use the share links created by via the WHS console. If you create shares on your own on drives that aren't added to the pool, you'll be fine. Then you can just move them into the drive pool when they release the power pack any day now. Also included in the power pack is support for x64 clients, so there's the answer to your last question. As for virtualization, it's stilla windows server OS and you can do most regular things in it that you could do in any windows server OS. They just recommend against it.

The RC candidate has been available for public download since Jun 12, but no solid date yet. This is what they have to say:

We will not ship the final release of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 until the community has validated our work. In the Release Documentation for Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 we outline a number of specific test scenarios. For us to feel our testing has been validated we need a large number of beta testers to work through these scenarios and regular home server operation for a period of time. Given the fantastic number of people who have signed up already (well ahead of the numbers we were hoping for), and how great the community has been in the past in helping us, I am confident we'll get enough testers. The only remaining question is how quickly those testers download the bits and start testing them.

I installed the RC fine, but I haven't moved my shares into the pool just because I haven't had much time to mess with it.

Here's the blog and forums:
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/default.aspx
http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/default.aspx?siteid=50

Back