utorrent kills internet and itself (no router)

fantazio

Limp Gawd
i've been up all night and frankly i'm pissed.
i have a webstar modem with optimum online connected to a network anywhere nr041 router, with some computers on it, and from that it goes to a netgear wireless router. i connect through the wireless. bittorrent ports are forwarded on both routers

a couple weeks ago i noticed that randomly my internet would just cut out for a couple minutes, it only worked on the computer that was using utorrent, but i didn't think much of it.

so today.. all hell breaks lose. i try loading utorrent and as soon as it tries to connect to peers, the internet is dead (but only on the computer i'm on, the others on the network are fine)

i connected via ethernet to the nr041 router and thats when it happened. i couldn't figure out whether it was the router or not. i disabled DHT, set global connections to 50, and disabled upnp. still same thing... i load utorrent and the internet is gone. utorrent connects to about 5 peers thats it. i have to reboot to get the internet working.

i decide to connect to the modem straight up, and the same thing happens, so I guess it's the modem? why would the modem be doing that? i ran a speedtest and it was working perfectly, even now it is.. what is it about utorrent thats doing it?

any advice would be appreciated.. this is really aggravating.

im using a fresh install of vista. brand new laptop

whats really weird is that i ran bittorrent 5.0.8 and it seems to be working without slowing down my internet.. i guess its utorrent that is the culprit :mad:

edit: using the new bittorrent 6.0 beta which seems to be just an older version of utorrent..works perfectly
seems like the new version of utorrent just isn't compatible with my modem or something

Which version of utorrent did you use? I have no problems with 1.6.1.

Back