Ut2k4: wtf

harmonic

Limp Gawd
I was trying to see how high of FPS i could get, so i put everything on low, and put the res to like 800x600.. I can't get damn over 60fps..

But, if i put the res back up to like 1280x1024, put things on normal, 2xAA 8xAF, I still get like 30-60fps..

How does this work? Is there an FPS cap like in CS?

Also, if i got a new CPU (i have a 2200+, if i went to say around 2800+ how much of a difference would it make?)

AND... Which is a better upgrade, better CPU or more RAM?

It Sounds like you have V-Sync Enabled which locks your max fps to your refresh rate which in that case is 60hz

It is called vsync..........look to see if it is enabled in your driver settings. Also, I believe it is capped if you are playing online. Also, all UT games are very cpu limited- you should notice an increase with a 2800+ as long as you use 333 memory, if not, don't bother.

If you have a newer monitor that can do 75 or 85 hz at the resolution you want:

Find the system directory and edit UT2004.ini

Search for "refresh"

Change the two instances of DesiredRefreshRate and set it to DesiredRefreshRate=75 or DesiredRefreshRate=85 Save and start UT2004.

It looks like vsync was the problem, I didn't expect it cause I had never usually had it on.

vsync is ok, but you aren't actually seeing the extra fps if your monitor is only running 60 hz or the game is capped at 60 refresh.

Punch your monitor Hz up first (make sure it can handle it) and you will actually see the frames.

force the refresh to the max your monitor can do at the res you want to and enable vsync. frame rates dont mean shit when it looks terrible because of tearing.

Originally posted by kronchev
frame rates dont mean shit when it looks terrible because of tearing.
What he said. For me, tearing's even worse than flicker. It really takes you out of the game, immersion-wise.

If I got a dime for how many times vsync is limiting people's fps I would be on a 3.2 p4 prommied @ 4.2ghz. I wish there was like a basic readme or something that we could setup for the many people that get nailed with all these minor problems. Basic hardware and software tweaking and such and cover all of the FAQs.

Originally posted by topslop1
If I got a dime for how many times vsync is limiting people's fps I would be on a 3.2 p4 prommied @ 4.2ghz. I wish there was like a basic readme or something that we could setup for the many people that get nailed with all these minor problems. Basic hardware and software tweaking and such and cover all of the FAQs.

that is actually a great idea for my Uber 1337 n00b HALPIN' Thread # 2!

Back