UT2004: CPU or memory upgrade???

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Using the system in the sig, I play at 1280x960 with 2xAF/2xAA. I get average 45FPS, with lots of slowdowns. What would help me in getting a higher FPS and less hitching, a new CPU or a new video card?

Since you're asking this question in the video card section, I'm going to say Video Card.

ajm786 said:
1280x960 with 2xAF/2xAA. I get average 45FPS, with lots of slowdowns. What would help me in getting a higher FPS and less hitching

:confused: I'm sure that would warrant a question in the video card forum?

In that case, why would you say video card? I thought CPU had more bearing on FPS than the video card did (UT2004 being very CPU dependent)?

I too would say vid card.
Everything else on the rig in you sig looks to be on the up an up, decent cpu/overclock with lots o' fast ram
how can you stand playing @45fps in ut2k4? it drives me bonkers if i get less then 70...

why not turn off AA? I find that in UT there is so much action going on i never notice jaggies. AF is what i think really makes a difference... the maps are so huge that blurry distant textures are a real eyesore.

Your CPU is plenty fast, especially at that overclock -- Your video card is the 'weakest link' so to speak. I would think about picking up something from this generation - basically buy what you can afford since everything that was released is good.

Although it is true that U2004 is fast action, it also drives me nuts when I go under an overpass or through a tunnel and see jaggies sticking out to no end, as well as walking on a metal grid, looking forward, and just seeing a blur. At least I've got to have some AF and AA; I'm hooked on 'em.

So you all say video card? At what point does the CPU start to become a bottleneck for the video card?

ajm786 said:
So you all say video card? At what point does the CPU start to become a bottleneck for the video card?

I have never personally seen or been in any situation where a CPU of your speed is the bottleneck.

It teh GPU! I went from a 5600 Ultra to this 9800 Pro and couldn't BELIEVE the differance.

There was a guy selling a 9800 Pro for $150 in the For Sale forum. Go buy it. Install it and then be AMAZED! :D

Roger that. Will buy a new VC, but no ATI. nVidia. :D Thanks for all your help!!!

Back