UT2004 64-bit + Vista Performance Issues

whoami?

Limp Gawd
An oldie, I know, but I've had practically no luck hunting around on the internet at large for a solution to this one, and it doth vex me sorely...couldn't get much of anything out of the forums at nVidia, Atari, or Epic, much less Google.

Here's the deal. Upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and since I'm a UT2004 junkie I figured I'd give the 64-bit version a try. I'd heard that there was not much of an effect to framerate but that loadtimes were improved, which sounds good to me. So, I fresh install UT2004 from my 2 disc DVD edition, patch that version with the 3369 patch, and install the ut2004-win64-3369 patch.

First thing I notice is that the opening vid and the menu popping up seems a tad....stuttery. Kinda odd, but nothing huge. Then, since I'm running a big display I go to the settings menu and try to set 1920x1200. Turns out that ANY attempt to change the resolution in the Settings menu results in a crash to desktop, with the error log reporting:
Critical: Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80004005). Please delete your UT2004.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

Of COURSE, deleting the UT2004.ini file (or in this case the UT2004-win64.ini file) does absolutely nothing. Nor was there much at all to help online with this.....so, I figure no biggie, and just switch the res in the .ini file directly. Wouldn't you know it, UT loads up at 1920x1200. So I do a quick jump in to a CTF game, just myself and a bot, to see how it goes. Loading time was noticeably improved, but my GOD was this thing slow. Thinking something might be wrong with the install, I run the standard 32-bit version. Smooth as butter, and I'd say on par or maybe a bit smoother than the same system running XP SP2. So I decided to perform a test....I'd set each game's graphic settings to mirror each other, I'd load up the same map with the same game settings, run the same path, and see what the FPS was using Fraps, and....damn.

The 32 bit version of the game scored a maximum of 140fps, and a minimum of 83fps. The 64 bit version of the game scored a maximum of 38fps, and a minimum of 27fps.

I then thought to try actual benchmarking, and it pretty much bore out the same results. Using the the flyby benchmark, same ini settings at 1920x1200:
32-bit version - 133.517105
64-bit version - 40.832474

Now, I'm running the latest non-beta nVidia drivers for both video card(163.69) and chipset (15.01), I've downloaded all the updates I can from Windows Update and the MS hotfixes nVidia mentions (KB936710, KB940105, etc). Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue (and is there anything I can do to fix it), or is the 64-bit performance supposed to be that bad? Thanks for any tips or assistance you can offer!

well the 64bit patch was really only meant for users running Windows XP 64bit Edition, the game was never made for/patched for running on Vista at all, let alone the 64bit Ultimate Edition. All i can really say is that you're probably SOL on this one. Hope you can fix it though, but i doubt you'll have much luck with it. :(

I can't remember the last UT2004 patch, so don't expect another one to fix that issue with UT3 coming out in what.. 2 months.

Back