UT 2007 - which card?

I have practically the same setup as you do...

2.8c oc'd to 3.2
abit IC7-Gmax2
had 1 gig corsair xms 2.2.2.5
128mb 9800pro (had)

I ran doom3 fine on that setup... but I recently upgraded to an x850pro modded to an XT PE. I'm playing fear with everthing on high... at 1024x768... doom3 on ultra w/ 4xaa then I upgraded to 2 gigs of memory and im playing fear at 12x8. everthing on high with an average fps of 60 and a min of 30. max is somwhere lik 130 something...

EDIT: this will probably keep me until DX10 comes out... I can't justify spending a good bit of money on a whole new system when:

a) a new AMD socket is coming out this summer(there goes that upgrade path for now)
b) DX10 won't be compatable with XP
c) I will definatly want a DX10 card
d) shader model 3.0...worth $300 for slightly better performance with the same setting with very little extra eye candy? ...no

Im waiting till march of next year to build my vista rig...then I would have saved all the money i needed and can get an awsome system while listening to people complaining they still have dual x1900xtx's and don't want to have to upgrade to a whole new socket...am2.
 
FalconSS said:
I have practically the same setup as you do...

2.8c oc'd to 3.2
abit IC7-Gmax2
had 1 gig corsair xms 2.2.2.5
128mb 9800pro (had)

I ran doom3 fine on that setup... but I recently upgraded to an x850pro modded to an XT PE. I'm playing fear with everthing on high... at 1024x768... doom3 on ultra w/ 4xaa then I upgraded to 2 gigs of memory and im playing fear at 12x8. everthing on high with an average fps of 60 and a min of 30. max is somwhere lik 130 something...

EDIT: this will probably keep me until DX10 comes out... I can't justify spending a good bit of money on a whole new system when:

a) a new AMD socket is coming out this summer(there goes that upgrade path for now)
b) DX10 won't be compatable with XP
c) I will definatly want a DX10 card
d) shader model 3.0...worth $300 for slightly better performance with the same setting with very little extra eye candy? ...no

Im waiting till march of next year to build my vista rig...then I would have saved all the money i needed and can get an awsome system while listening to people complaining they still have dual x1900xtx's and don't want to have to upgrade to a whole new socket...am2.

the longer you wait, the more it will cost to build a system though, you have to keep up or it costs you more in the long run......those people with two x1900's will be able to sell those for as much as they paid for them at that time and get better stuff without coming out of pocket, you on the other hand will have to spend a nice wad to get there, look at frequent upgrades as an investment, not money spent and gone

and SM3.0 does more than "very little extra eye candy" if you owned one and tried all the games that support all the features you would know that, for one, Far Cry with HDR is like a completely different game.....

i wish Valve hadn't dumbed down their HDR for SM2.0b ability, they stifled progress and simply made excuses for people to keep their uber 9800Pro's
 
Xeero said:
how about, wait until the game comes out and then upgrade to whatever hardware is available at the time?

He just got done saying that....and misenthrope just said a better way to save money...
 
Hey, u no... i'm just thinkin... I read around that you could softmod a BFG 6600GT to about a 6800 Ultra specs, but I can't verify one since i've got an X800. If you really want to try the UT2k7 graphics engine, try Robohordes demo. It gives you a little bit onto what the UT2k7 engine will be like. But if I were you, i'd just go X1800XL atleast, but I'm not sure if you've got PCIe or not. If not, just go 6800gs.
 
VulturEMaN said:
He just got done saying that....and misenthrope just said a better way to save money...


i learned the hard way, i use to keep mine for two-three years and then i had a pile of junk basically.....then i discovered the used hardware market, especially the international market, where guys from Europe will gladly pay $300 USD for a $300 USD chip that is used but in perfect working order because things are so high in their own country, gotta love the free market
 
stopmenow said:
when will we get u2007?
The official line is 'When it's ready'

I have to laugh when I see people asking questions like what card for ut2007 a game that isn't even released and very little official info has been released. Same with the questions about what next generation GPU will be faster. If people do reply they can only answer with a guess. If your buying hardware based on a game like ut2007 then wouldn’t it make sense to wait and see? Why upgrade before hand if the main reason is for a future game.

I'd guess we will see a ut2007 demo within the next 3 months and the full game around mid year (pure guess based on no official info).
 
StealthyFish said:
Hey, u no... i'm just thinkin... I read around that you could softmod a BFG 6600GT to about a 6800 Ultra specs, but I can't verify one since i've got an X800. If you really want to try the UT2k7 graphics engine, try Robohordes demo. It gives you a little bit onto what the UT2k7 engine will be like. But if I were you, i'd just go X1800XL atleast, but I'm not sure if you've got PCIe or not. If not, just go 6800gs.

the 6800GT will overclock to Ultra spec typically, the AGP 6800 will mod to near 6800GT stock spec sometimes, and the 6800GS AGP will typically mod to a 6800Ultra or higher, but the 6600GT can only be made faster by overclocking, i've had two, no pipelines to unlock, etc......
 
Hacker, although you can very well play UT2007, as many have said: it being rather scalable, you may still want to start saving your clams now. If you are interested in UT2007, then I think it may be safe to consider you to be, at least, a fairly hardcore gamer. If that is correct, then your current setup will not satisfy you too much.

I am not telling you to upgrade for UT, but for that hardcore gamer inside you.
 
cyks said:
Hacker, although you can very well play UT2007, as many have said: it being rather scalable, you may still want to start saving your clams now.
1. Nobody's seen the game. Only a tech demo of the game.
2. Even when people saw the demo, it didn't even have a frame counter running.
3. The demo has only been shown running on one card, as far as I know.

So once again, I'm curious to know how you guys can make these claims about how well the game scales when we know literally nothing about the game.
 
finalgt said:
1. Nobody's seen the game. Only a tech demo of the game.
2. Even when people saw the demo, it didn't even have a frame counter running.
3. The demo has only been shown running on one card, as far as I know.

So once again, I'm curious to know how you guys can make these claims about how well the game scales when we know literally nothing about the game.

i think it will scale well also, thats been EPIC's magic recipe, thats how they sell so any copies, it runs on a very broad scale of systems, you dont have to usually upgrade to play the latest UT game as long as you can play the other latest titles of the time well
 
It is funny how so many people can sit there and say

BUY THIS CARD NOW!!

how the HELL do you know? the game isnt out? it is an entirely new engine - UT2004 can kick some cards asses but also runs good on older hardware, but ut2004 was nothing like ut2007 is going to be like.

So - WAIT until the game is out before buying anything, for all you know your CPU might not handle it since it will be a multithreaded game.
 
misenthrope said:
the 6800GT will overclock to Ultra spec typically, the AGP 6800 will mod to near 6800GT stock spec sometimes, and the 6800GS AGP will typically mod to a 6800Ultra or higher, but the 6600GT can only be made faster by overclocking, i've had two, no pipelines to unlock, etc......

And the best out is the Leadtek 6600GT Extreme :p Once I get a better cooler on it, I plan on going way past 600 for my core.

meh. I suggest trading in the system for a new one asap. Then do the small, cost-saving trade-in upgrades to get the most bang for your buck. I'm gonna finish mine off with sli, then sell it to someone on ebay (once I can find a duplicate card so I can keep the nice OC). By then, I'll be rollin in my first mod (just started the design tonite)
 
misenthrope said:
having a SM2.0 limited card like the 9800Pro

First you say it's a limited SM2.0 card....

misenthrope said:
but it was a SM2.0 only part, it cant do SM3.0, same with the x850, it's a SM2.0b limited part, it cannot do SM3.0 either

Now your talking about it lacking SM3.0 and SM2.0b, totally different to your original statement.....

I'm not saying the 9800Pro is SM2.0b/3.0 compliant cos obviously it isn't, my point is there was nothing 'limited' SM2.0 wise about the 9800Pro, hence the dig at the obvious performance difference in the FX series.

Your original statement, which is what I'm pointing out now in more detail as it's not being understood, was wrong......

misenthrope said:
this much i do know, as it relates to the topic of a good card for UT2007, i would not want a SM2.0b limited card right now, expecially if i was buying a new PCI-E card, i would definately make sure it has SM3.0 support, Futuremark avoided SM2.0b dumbed down HDR implementations, i would not be surprised if UT2007 requires a SM3.0 capable card to use some of the HDR type effects

This we do agree on. Only an insane person would buy a card that old to run a game like 2k7, and even second guessing what card it would require is a little silly. would a 7800GTX run it? yes, full settings? maybe? I'd say at least a GTX SLi for max eye candy and playeable framerates... but then I'm adding to the stupid guessing games.
 
Shameless Liar said:
The UT series is always coded well so that they are somewhat efficient. Much more efficient than other games out there IMO. You can play the latest UT2004 on rather low level hardware with fair settings with good performance. I used to play it on a P3 866MHz with an FX5200. I don't hve any numbers FPS wise, but it was not choppy at all. I expect that UT2007 will play fine on all low/midrange systems. But really there is no way to know.

That's even better than my parents' computer, they have my old 800MHz Athlon with a Geforce 2 MX... I have UT2k4 on there for when I visit them on holidays, and it's on the border of playability @ 800x600 with all the details turned down.

Interviews with various people at Epic have all stated that DirectX 9-class cards will be the minimum reqirement in the video department, so I'm thinking that something around a Radeon 9600 will be to UT2k7 as a Geforce 2 MX is to UT2k4. As for which graphics card will be best, nobody can say; but I'm sure that it will play more than acceptably for everybody who has a $300+ video card.
 
finalgt said:
1. Nobody's seen the game. Only a tech demo of the game.
2. Even when people saw the demo, it didn't even have a frame counter running.
3. The demo has only been shown running on one card, as far as I know.
This means little to nothing, although it is true.

It is hard to imagine the fact that visual quality can be lowered, along with resolution?

Also, the creater has already mentioned the scalability of the game, so what more evidence do you need?
 
Back
Top