"USRobotics Courier 48-Port Gigabit Smart Switch"

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
I see this unit online at many stores for $400-450. All 48 ports are 10/100/1000 (not just a handful of 'uplink' 1000 ports) and it is managed with support for vlans etc.

If these specs are true and the unit isnt garbage, it seems to be a very good deal. I am in the market for a solid 48 port giga switch, it doesnt have to be managed. This unit lists for less than comparable unmanaged 48 port giga switches.

I cant find any reviews online. Has anyone had any exp with these switches? Any other comments/suggestions for reliable, budget 48 port giga switches?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit:
USR link with specs: http://www.usr.com/products/networking/networking-product.asp?type=specs&sku=USR997748
The online dealers button on the left lists vendors offering the unit at the price listed above (~$400-$450)

For home use this should be good and even for lanparty use. I would be a little scared to bring that USR into a data center or business production for instance.

This is for a business. Is USR known for not having business level reliability?

I was just looking at the Dell PowerConnect 2748 and 3548s, they look nice for a little bit more. Excluding actual warranty coverage, are they any better than similar competitors?

Also, what makes cisco managed switches so special that they cost 1000's of $ instead of 100's?

Thanks for all the comments so far.

This is for a business. Is USR known for not having business level reliability?.

Their external modems (and some internal models) were great, their Courier V.Everything was one of the best fax modems out there.

Many years ago I saw one of their broadband routers...was quite..simple, dated, just..didn't seem so hot to me.

For under 500 bucks....48 giga ports...hard to beat. 2 year warranty is better than some more expensive brands.

This is for a business. Is USR known for not having business level reliability?

I was just looking at the Dell PowerConnect 2748 and 3548s, they look nice for a little bit more. Excluding actual warranty coverage, are they any better than similar competitors?

Also, what makes cisco managed switches so special that they cost 1000's of $ instead of 100's?

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Like stoned cat said, their modems are great (nothing comes close IMO), but as for thier switching gear, they kinda did drop the ball in the late 2000's after their TOTALSwitches. Yes, they are decent, but personally I would spend a little more and get that peace of mind.... I would look into 3Com, Dell, and Cisco because they have great support backing their products.

Well the dells look very well priced.

Cant say the same for 3com and cisco. This unit would replace a 24 port 3com with failing leds (which cost about $2500 3 years ago)

HP ProCurve is my favorite brand...for quite some time now.
Primary reason....LIFETIME WARRANTY
You know how every now and then with other brand switches, you find some reason that power cycling the switch fixes some wonky issue? Never..ever...ever...had to power cycle a ProCurve that I put in place. You install these...and you don't have to touch them until you replace them like 5 years down the road...or more...

Top notch compatability with the giga NICs on servers also. With cheaper gigabit switches, once in a while I've run across "can't negotiate at giga speeds" with some of the PowerEdge onboard giga NICs. Never had that issue with a ProCurve.

But....you'll be paying 3-4 times that USR.

On more of a budget...some of the Linksys/Cisco SRW series I've found to be of good value.

Back