USPS insurance claim?

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
8,090
I sold a fellow member 3 monitors and packed the living crap out of them. They arrived and the buyer is saying that one of the monitors will be on and just black out. Power button stays lit. Just a dead monitor. No menu buttons work or anything. This never happened here so I'm assuming it happened during shipping. I bought insurance for if this happened. What arethe steps?
 
File the insurance claim on USPS's website.

I have to say that you might not get anything...usually unless the box is damaged then they don't take responsibility. I mean, think about it, if the box is fine and all and the stuff inside isn't physically damaged then who is to say you didn't ship a bad monitor? Could have happened when you were handling it or something.

Not saying that IS the case...just saying...

Pictures will be required and all that as well.

I know the one time I've had to file for insurance the box was actually damaged. $300 paid and it was all pretty quick and painless. From first filing the claim to getting the check took all of like a week or so. No screwing me around or giving me the run around or anything like that.
 
I would say to file a claim anyways. Like I said it was painless. Just put in the info and all that and a week later I had my check. Never got a call or anything and the person who received the damaged goods never got a house visit or anything like that (as in USPS didn't even want the damaged item).

So it's worth a shot, just don't keep your hopes up.
 
He updated his Drivers and fixed the issue! Panic is over!!! I think I spent more on packing then actually shipping them lol.
 
Glad to see it was resolved. If it weren't, I'd have asked the buyer to ship back the display and refunded him if it were really defective. If not, then no refund + cost of shipping would be on the buyer.
 
He updated his Drivers and fixed the issue! Panic is over!!! I think I spent more on packing then actually shipping them lol.

This is why I hoard all the shipping materials from purchases. Even the padded envelopes come in handy. :)
 
well the monitor is still acting up, there is damage to the box, exactly where the monitor was packed actually. Not sure what caused it. i asked the buyer to supply photos and a video, he did. i also just told him to repack it, and ship it back to me, Im refunding him a 1/3 of the total purchase and covering shipping back to me. he found a the Samsung was the odd man out, the other 2 monitors were identical. he said he found a identical monitor locally anyway so good for him. ill deal with usps when i get it back.
 
He updated his Drivers and fixed the issue! Panic is over!!! I think I spent more on packing then actually shipping them lol.


bam that was goingot be my advise, sounded like a videocard issue. ( just woke up)woops

good for you!

wow jsut read the folow up, man sometimes we/ you/ them jsut can't catch a break, sorry to heear the 1/23 thing, bt yo ushould still be able to do some kind of claim with usps right?
 
Last edited:
wait what? a sound card issue? PM me with this madness of a idea


the madness is working 3rd shift and also a second part time job and just waking up
and responding and some how i typed sound instead of video
ba ha ha ha ha, i ma mad, lol:p
 
I'd wait before having him send it back to you. USPS may want to go to the shipped address and inspect the box and item. They may even take the item before paying you the claim. Either way if you have it shipped back to you it may open the possibility that it was damaged via return instead of original transit.

Worst case scenario they leave it at his address and pay you the claim. In that situation you'd be out the amount you paid to have it shipped back. Just ask him to wait until the claim processes and pay him back 1/3rd the amount (or refund him now). It's the shipping back that I'm suggesting to hold off on, not the refund part.
 
in all honesty, its whatever. I'm still new here. he supplied a video of it messed up, im not going to have him wait for usps. he found another monitor. i refunded the money. he is shipping it out tomorrow. Its not his fault the monitor came defective. im deal with usps, if they shaft me o well.
 
Well I thought I made it clear enough but refunding him isn't the issue just have him hold on to it until you hear back from USPS. It's not an issue of whose fault it is. USPS will want to see the packaging it came in and may decide to pick it up and keep it. If they don't decide to pick it up then he can either send it back or toss it in the trash.

Once he sends it to you, USPS won't be shafting you, you're screwing yourself out of your claim. If they pay out on the claim you're just losing money by having it sent back to you because they'll either want it or if it's broken and they pay out then aren't you just going to end up tossing it in the trash? Neither scenario makes sense to ship it back to you.

(also, it's worth noting that with UPS the seller/shipper must file the claim but with USPS *either* the seller/shipper or the buyer/recipient can initiate the claim)
 
Last edited:
in all honesty, its whatever. I'm still new here... Its not his fault the monitor came defective. im deal with usps, if they shaft me o well.

Yo: If the items were packed with the same care and attention to detail as the sruff you shipped me, there is no way your packing is at fault. Secondly, if you say these items were good when shipped, I believe they were.

But I think you're making a mistake to have him ship it back. Once the monitor leaves en route to you, your claim is moot. This is in a case where the buyer has retained the packaging (THAT'S rare) and USPS can inspect for damage. Which. apparently, is visible. I think you have a decent chance at recovery. But only is you get the claim checked there.

Can I make a suggestion? I don't know what the amoints are here, but why not send the guy a check or PP him about 1/2 the refund you have offered and let the claim survive. Assure him that, if USPS stiffs you, you'll send the rest.

I know you're a straight arrow. He sounds like one, too. Hope it works out for both of you.
 
Hey David, I mean Snake, I mean Pliskin :p Any update on your claim? Did USPS help you out or were you just screwed. ; ;
 
sorry for dying when it comes to this thread lol! i got the monitor back and it actually worked just fine. worked out a deal with the buyer. He sent me a video of the issue happening. when i got it it had no issues what so ever. weird right! I ended up never claiming with USPS and kept the monitor @ my shop for a server im using so it worked out. Instead of buying one brand new i just reused it. and Thanks Ickywu. I take pride in my shipping, item condition and speed of delivery.
 
Back
Top