USPS' Bizarre Reason For Denying Insurance Claim

They tried the same thing on me a few years ago. I appealed online with a copy of the letter they gave me stating they have possession of the item. That fixed it but shouldn't be a issue the customer has to deal with.

I still hate USPS tho. Most of the people that come to my house are lazy.

If something doesn't fit in my mailbox and they can't crush it enough to fit it gets left on top of the mail box for everyone to see and exposed to the elements. If it's too big it goes under the box in the mud.

If it requires a signature they fill out the pickup forum without ever coming to my door. I have meet them at the mailbox and caught them in the middle of filling out the forum which really pisses them off having to actually get the box from the back of their truck. Then they cut back their hours, so when I have to pickup something they are too lazy to deliver it must be done before 4PM and not on Saturdays.

The thing that pisses me off the most is UPS and Fedex giving packages to USPS for delivery. How can anyone think that should be an option. If I specify UPS or Fedex it's because I don't want USPS involved.
Too bad UPS and Fedex are privately ran business, USPS is a limited charter business run by the government although funded privately though it's own services. Meaning where UPS and FedEx can change their prices willy-nilly USPS has to appeal to a board to change their prices or well do anything and is severally limited in what they can do as a business but one such thing is not being able to refuse to deliver out to places that cost too much to deliver to. So UPS and FedEx use USPS to foot that last leg of the trip they don't want to have to pay drivers etc out there for. Which of course means extra step to loose any mail because UPS, FedEx and or USPS will mess up the tracking numbers for the parcels either giving the wrong address or just losing it completely but none of them care.

I can't stand shipping with USPS.. and it's even worse when I get packages sent to me via USPS.

Sending packages: It's always an argument at the post office with the employees, rather than a simple Q&A session. I haven't shipped with them in several years due to this. They're rude, snippy, and try to act smarter than you.

Receiving packages: Somehow, their guaranteed or expected delivery dates are always several days to a few weeks off. I've seen packages sent to me from one state away go through 5 states before they made it to me. That is, if their tracking works. In the past year, it has been much better to track things compared to years past.

Usually when I get a package incoming, it will sit in the post office at the next city over for 2+ days before delivery and miss the guaranteed delivery date. I have tried to pick them up because I needed the stuff right away, but they won't give it to me, saying it has already been loaded on a truck for delivery.. days later it arrives. They'll argue and get pissed if you ask them to get it from the back room where it is stored.. not on the truck like they allege. (was actually successful once)

Also, my damaged package rate with USPS is very high. I've had packages come that look like they were ran over by several vehicles.. holes in the boxes / bubble mailers with most of the contents missing. One shipment I got from ordering some cables and connectors had 1 thing left in the box out of the dozen or so parts I ordered. Then filing the insurance claim turns into another argument with the post office on who is to blame, and if I'm making up the story because "there's no way we would have delivered a package that looks like that".

Getting a package delivery that requires signature.. I'm never home for it, even though I request late delivery after 4pm.. I get home at 3:30pm and there's already a note on the door with sorry we missed you.. we'll try again tomorrow.. then they do the same thing and try signed delivery at 10am. Then after 3 days of this, it's "You can pick up your package at the post office". Try to pick it up inbeween those days, and it's the inconvenience excuse of "it's on a truck and we can't get it".

Aside from time of delivery (I've never heard of the USPS delivering a package at a time of my choosing), I've never experienced those issues with USPS. The reality is that Amazon uses USPS for some 2 day shipments, because Priority/first class is often 1-2 day delivery.

As for sitting around, I've had that happen with UPS, in the past, a lot. It'd sit in the warehouse in Dallas for a day or 2 and they'd say, "well we don't guarantee it'll get there until 2 days from now." I don't think that's how it works now. These days, Ground gives the # of days to deliver based on the to/from addresses, but that wasn't always the case.

Everyone has their own experiences, but I've used them all, and UPS is the only one I don't like using, but that's based on experiences from 8-10 years ago and they've probably improved.

For me it's Fedex or USPS and what I choose is mostly based on the total cost to ship. Often I find that after Insurance Fedex is cheaper.

Too bad UPS and Fedex are privately ran business, USPS is a limited charter business run by the government although funded privately though it's own services. Meaning where UPS and FedEx can change their prices willy-nilly USPS has to appeal to a board to change their prices or well do anything and is severally limited in what they can do as a business but one such thing is not being able to refuse to deliver out to places that cost too much to deliver to. So UPS and FedEx use USPS to foot that last leg of the trip they don't want to have to pay drivers etc out there for. Which of course means extra step to loose any mail because UPS, FedEx and or USPS will mess up the tracking numbers for the parcels either giving the wrong address or just losing it completely but none of them care.

I don't entirely agree with it being too expensive to deliver. I am 10 minutes from a main UPS hub and many times I have had other packages being delivered on the same day. If UPS or Fedex looked at the other items they are already delivering, putting one more box on the truck to deliver to the same location should cost less than transferring it to USPS.

I don't entirely agree with it being too expensive to deliver. I am 10 minutes from a main UPS hub and many times I have had other packages being delivered on the same day. If UPS or Fedex looked at the other items they are already delivering, putting one more box on the truck to deliver to the same location should cost less than transferring it to USPS.

Yes, but if they offload enough of these boxes, they can eliminate a truck. From what I can tell, USPS is used for those who want the cheapest and slowest shipping. I'm not sure that you or I can use this service. It's always been through etailers IME.

My girlfriend sells costumes on Ebay. She (well, more accurately *I*) ship USPS Priority mail in the tyvex envelopes. So far this season we've shipped 121 items, with only one not making it within the specified time. It took a two week vacation in Michigan before heading off to it's new home. that's a pretty good record in my book. Everything else is 2-3 day delivery coast to coast.

UPS, on the other hand, broke a VW 150a alternator sent to me in a foam and shredded paper packed box.

usps denied me a refund on certified mail that was not delivered. The seller I was shipping a money order to in a certified envelope never received it. usps tracking showed they never delivered it. They denied the address existed and shipped it back to me. I printed out the exact location of the seller's house - right across the street from a USPS post office. I also had the receipt of the certified mail purchase. They still claimed it was not their fault and did not refund me the 5.75 for certified mail envelope. Total BS.

Back