using xp as a terminal.server

hairy

n00b
i'm sure all of you have heard of the various termsrv.dll patches available on the internet which allow numerous concurrent terminal connections to an XP SP2 server. my student friends and I would like to set this up on my computer to share our office documents and the content we make, like audio/video data, most likely x264. it's mostly personal and we will not be running a business or trying to make any money with this virtual network. my question relates to the legality of this kind of setup, and what the odds of getting caught are. i understand only some windows server operating systems are licensed terminal servers, and each client needs a server CAL, a TS license, and probably some other license for sharing/running ms office docs.

it's just so obviously simpler and cheaper (free) to have multiple xp sp2 users logged on via RDP.

what do you think?

Check your school to see if they have a campus wide volume license agreement. You may be able to do what you want to do on the cheap or even free through that. Otherwise this isn't the right place to be asking that question.

The windows 2003 180day trials would let you do this easy (even terminal services licenses allow 180days without a license server).

I sure your fine with rebuilding every 180 days.

Otherwise if you want to stick with XP, then this aint the place to tell the world your conning greedy buggers microsoft.

Mind you that patch that allows for 3 connections over RDP to XP is perfectly legal as the file came from a beta of SP2, but i aint no law expert (as much as i wish i was lol)

The windows 2003 180day trials would let you do this easy (even terminal services licenses allow 180days without a license server).

I sure your fine with rebuilding every 180 days.

Otherwise if you want to stick with XP, then this aint the place to tell the world your conning greedy buggers microsoft.

Mind you that patch that allows for 3 connections over RDP to XP is perfectly legal as the file came from a beta of SP2, but i aint no law expert (as much as i wish i was lol)
The legality of a file was never in question. The legality of using multiple sessions at once off one XP license is, and that's a much more debatable (and probably, to be honest, illegal) point.

Back