Using X-Connect cables on a ModStream

SelRahc

Limp Gawd
Ok ok I know it may sound like a goofy idea.

I have this Ultra X-Connect that I refuse to use in my main system. I've read enough about it not not have a warm fuzzy about using it. But thats not the story of this post.

I picked up a OCZ ModStream 520 to put into my system, to power the system and water cooling equipment. It's a sharp looking PSU and it's modluar design is quite simmilar to the modluar design of the Ultra. One thing I note though, and please know it's not that big a deal, is the cabling.

The Ultra's cables are alot nicer than the ones that come with the modstream. The modstream's cables have a more home-done look to them, where the Ultra's have a more professional look to them. The UV glow of the ultra cables are so much nicer than the modstreams. Id guess the cables are probably the best part of the ultra's psu ya? lol

Anyways, the connectors are almost identical. They easily appear to be useable in the modstream psu.

So what I want to know is has anyone used the ultra's x-connect cables on the modstream psu? With exception of the SATA connector on the modstream, the connectors are identical. Has anyone ever decided to use the Xconnect cables instead of the modstream ones?

Just a thought that crossed my mind. Comments?

I dont really see why not....it should be wired the same exact way since its all molex basically. I would get a meter and check to be sure though.

I would get out a gauge just to check. I really love the cables on my X-Connect. Ive been using it for about a month now and couldnt be happier with it.

then end going to the components in your system is obviously the same...dunno about the other end..pull out a multimeter and check just to be shure (or plug in an old floppy and see if it fries then youll know :p )

The X-connect will go into my spare system, so it won't NOT get used. My main system will be abit more heavy-loaded and I just don't want to take any chances.

Anyways, taking a multimeter to the cables is also something I was going to do just to meke sure they went the same way. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I took a MM to the cables to test them, and everything looks ok. The paths are identical. So basically the cabling is identical. The only one that is not the same are the SATA cables. The ModStream's SATA connector is a 6 pin connector, where the ultra's sata cable just use the normal 4-pin molex. So basically I would just use a 4-pin connector to power the drives if i chose to use them.

Im just wondering if anyone has done/ or is doing this already?

you are the first Ive heard of
few buy one of each supply to crosspart em :p

I was taken by the cables myself when they first came out
and aside from how stiff they reportedly are (nothing a hot air gun cant cure) they certainly look nice,
I have wondered if the shielding inside them is actually connected to ground.

Id carefully compare the pins for fit, and the retention of the keyed cable end into the PSU receptors
but other than that there is no reason that comes to mind not to use them

Ice, I don't believe the shielding is grounded on either cables. I couldnt tell for sure without opening one of them (which I may just do, since i dont plan on using a xeon processor hehe). I actually purchased the x-connect with the intent to use it in my main system. It's been sitting here for a while now, but my desire to use it in my main system slipped away. So into my second system the x-connect will go.

Back