Using VPN and Existing Connection Simultaneously

rmnoon

Limp Gawd
Heyas all,

I just got home from Thanksgiving break and I'm testing my new server. I set up a vpn server at home (2500 miles away) using dyndns so that I could access my network from school, but that network is also connected to the internet. Using XP's vpn client I've connected to it but now I can only exclusively use the net connection from my house (which is limited to 50 kb/s cable upload speed). Is there a way I can use both my vpn's net connection for some applications, but use my school's net connection for other ones at the same time?

I'm sorry for the horribly worded post, I just got off the plane around two hours ago and I'm beat.

-ryan

Im not sure if you're talking about split tunneling or not, but I'll assume you are.

With split tunneling, you use the VPN connection for all traffic destined to the VPN network. All other traffic doesnt go over the VPN tunnel and goes out your own connection unencypted to the Internet.

As far as using the VPN connection for some applications and not for others...that would depend on the split tunneling. I guess if you had Internet Explorer setup to use a proxy on the VPN network, all the IE traffic would get tunneled over the VPN tunnel. Then you could have Firefox configured to not use a proxy, and thus force all traffic out your connection unencrypted.

As for custom applications: your ability to force them to use the VPN tunnel will probably depend on the split tunneling config. I havent worked with the XP VPN client much, but I assume it'll download a detailed split tunneling policy. If you can create policies that will tell the client that certain ports should be sent over the VPN tunnel, then you should be able to make certain applications do what you want.

I see, there's an option in the TCP/IP settings with the XP vpn client that lets you disable going to the default gateway on the dialed up network. This is useful, but unfortunately I don't have a proxy server installed, and I forgot to enable remote desktop on that computer. Darnit.

rmnoon said:
and I forgot to enable remote desktop on that computer. Darnit.

Easily done across the network if you have local rights to that machine, by remotely editing the registry.

Right on! I got it all working in a way that is extremely satisfactory.

The coolest part was printing something from across the continent...time to make the folks at home think there's a ghost in the house.

Thanks, all.

Back