jedihobbit
Gawd
- Joined
- Nov 3, 2005
- Messages
- 963
Didnt know where to put this so here it is. As mentioned in my nView -1210 OCing Thread eBay is the reason for this test build. And as it turns out it will replace the mobo/proc/memory that originally was to be used in DreamCatcher v2.0. The only item not going into the build will be the CNPS8000 which Id like to talk about a little.
Im no reviewer by any means, but youre about to muddle through a few of my thoughts and observations. First thing I noticed when I took it out of the packing was the plastic shroud that houses the fan. Having used the 9500 Cu, 7500 Cu, and 8500 Cu I found this kinda un-Zalman. However it didnt take long to grow on me as it kinda went with the aluminum fins. Also it kinda matches the G. Skill mem modules, you know bling is important to me!
While Im the big fan of all copper, the aluminum does two major things, cuts costs and it is light!! My CNPS7500 in YsSMN weighs in @ 848g, the 8700 used for DreamCatcher v2.0s air cooling is 475g, and this one comes in at only 350g.
One of the interesting footnotes from zalman about this unit is it will fit AM2 IF . Looking at the following pics explains it all. This would apply to all mobos especially the mem socket limitation.
Memory Slot issue I can forget 4 x 1GB for Vista!!
On the opposite side with the cap and volt reg close.
I did a lot of reading thanks to Google on the 8000 after I bought it. In general reading its performance was listed a middle of the road and some felt it a bit noisy (30db @ 2600RPM). Also it seemed everyone dinged it for ease of mounting.
For me mounting wasnt that much of an issue, but then again I didnt mind the old socket A bruised thumb thing. What did bug me was trying to remove it. It was a real b_d and I ended up bending some of the fins over the latch. Being deaf in one year and not being able to hear out of the other noise isnt a problem either. Really with the case fans, a gpu, and a Raptor X it all blends together. The only reference for cooling performance that I would have is the Opty 1210 it cooled will I oced the be gees out of it. During a 12 hour run of OCCT at 353 X9 = 3.177GHz @ 677 2T http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=355794 Core1 fluctuated between 50C 53C, Core 2 49C 51C, and that was with a vcore of 1.50v. I think thats pretty good. Admittedly this is on an open tech station, but still I sure with something like a Brisbane itd be great. Ill get back later on this as Ill be playing with the demoted 4000+ Brisbane.
Something I forgot to mention in the CNPS8000s favor from base to top it is only 62.5mm high. This would be great in mATX cases that have a height issue. Another eBay boo-boo that has to be snuck past the wife is a Silverstone SG01-B Evolution. It is limited to a 78mm max height hsf , and the 8000 should work well. Also if I keep this thing and do another build I have to find a way to "illuminate" it!!
Im no reviewer by any means, but youre about to muddle through a few of my thoughts and observations. First thing I noticed when I took it out of the packing was the plastic shroud that houses the fan. Having used the 9500 Cu, 7500 Cu, and 8500 Cu I found this kinda un-Zalman. However it didnt take long to grow on me as it kinda went with the aluminum fins. Also it kinda matches the G. Skill mem modules, you know bling is important to me!
While Im the big fan of all copper, the aluminum does two major things, cuts costs and it is light!! My CNPS7500 in YsSMN weighs in @ 848g, the 8700 used for DreamCatcher v2.0s air cooling is 475g, and this one comes in at only 350g.
One of the interesting footnotes from zalman about this unit is it will fit AM2 IF . Looking at the following pics explains it all. This would apply to all mobos especially the mem socket limitation.
Memory Slot issue I can forget 4 x 1GB for Vista!!
On the opposite side with the cap and volt reg close.
I did a lot of reading thanks to Google on the 8000 after I bought it. In general reading its performance was listed a middle of the road and some felt it a bit noisy (30db @ 2600RPM). Also it seemed everyone dinged it for ease of mounting.
For me mounting wasnt that much of an issue, but then again I didnt mind the old socket A bruised thumb thing. What did bug me was trying to remove it. It was a real b_d and I ended up bending some of the fins over the latch. Being deaf in one year and not being able to hear out of the other noise isnt a problem either. Really with the case fans, a gpu, and a Raptor X it all blends together. The only reference for cooling performance that I would have is the Opty 1210 it cooled will I oced the be gees out of it. During a 12 hour run of OCCT at 353 X9 = 3.177GHz @ 677 2T http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=355794 Core1 fluctuated between 50C 53C, Core 2 49C 51C, and that was with a vcore of 1.50v. I think thats pretty good. Admittedly this is on an open tech station, but still I sure with something like a Brisbane itd be great. Ill get back later on this as Ill be playing with the demoted 4000+ Brisbane.
Something I forgot to mention in the CNPS8000s favor from base to top it is only 62.5mm high. This would be great in mATX cases that have a height issue. Another eBay boo-boo that has to be snuck past the wife is a Silverstone SG01-B Evolution. It is limited to a 78mm max height hsf , and the 8000 should work well. Also if I keep this thing and do another build I have to find a way to "illuminate" it!!