• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Using the wrong colored Western Digital Hard Drive.

Jsalpha2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2011
Messages
209
If you use a red, or purple hard drive as your main disk? I know I don't want green, blue only goes up to 1 TB, Black is my first choice, but if I get a better price on an off colored one?
 
It would work but be not optimized for your situation. For example red and purple drives give up (which is good for raid) trying to read a difficult to read sector in 7 seconds or so. This is needed for raid but it could cause data loss on a desktop if the drive is not in a raid. Although to be honest if a drive can not read a sector after 7 seconds of trying how often can it read it after 1 minute?
 
depends on what your using it for. if its just storage green is fine. if its your main disk i would go with black.
 
both red and green work fine as a storage drive. I don't have much use for Black as my OS goes on an SSD
 
depends on what your using it for. if its just storage green is fine. if its your main disk i would go with black.

Yeah green should be fine for storage if you want to cut-off your costs from getting black.
 
I would always buy Red over Green these days. WD did mess around in the Green line so much with silently removing features or silently selling drives with more platters.
They did not do this yet (or in a much lesser extent) with the Reds. Only Red 3TB and 4TB for me, because with those I have yet to come across a drive that has an unexpected number of platters.
Additionally the Red drives do not do this excessive head parking the Green drives do.

You can deactive the TLER on Red drives if it really bothers you, but if a drive cannot read a sector after 7 seconds there is a high chance another minute won't help.
 
Back
Top