Using the least disk space possible with Windows 7

diggƒreak

Limp Gawd
I'm running Windows 7 64bit Enterprise Edition.

I would like the installation to use the least disk space possible.
You can see the steps that I have already taken in the screenshot below.

zwaDj.png

Disable hibernation if it's not needed, as the hiberfil.sys will be as large as the amount of installed memory.

Run command prompt as administrator and type: powercfg –h off

I also reduced the size of my page file, but many here are advocates of just leaving it alone.

OK before I help you I need details on your 522Mb/s Internet connection and how that applies to low disk space.

Thanks for reminding me about hibernation and pagefile, saved me almost 18GiB.
I also disabled search indexing and some services.

vbjhG.png

I'm doing research at a University. We have a direct connection to internet backbone fiber.

I just want to know where ya get a 522Mb/s internet connection. I need one of those.......

Fish :cool:

Uhmmm... the question is just begging to be asked:

Why are you using Enterprise edition? Did you acquire it for free or something? :D

Professional offers almost all the same goodies minus a few and comes in at about 4GB less space consumed after an installation - that's not counting page file, hibernation file, etc etc, that's just the bare OS itself.

There's a point of diminishing returns with Windows - you can only do so much to it and then it (and you) are going to pay for it in the long run with frustration and troubleshooting, seriously.

If the page file and the hibernation file gained you 18GB of space by removing/disabling/altering them, how much RAM is in that box, 8GB?

Personally unless you're using some SSD with < 40GB of space on it (and you're not because I see ~50GB assigned as a system partition (could be a 64GB SSD however), then you're going to get to a point where there's not much else you can do.

I've got Windows 7 Pro x64 installed, just did it yesterday, it is fully updated, has all my most commonly/frequently used apps on it, 4GB of RAM on the machine, hibernation file disabled, page file set to 1GB static, and I'm staring at 10.8GB used (and that's including the 1GB page file too), so 9.8GB or so and I really don't have anything left to install at the moment. 36 apps and a few more to go but, barely anything - and my system drive/partition is 40GB, always.

Trimming the fat, so to speak, is ok but sometimes people just take it to extremes... :D

Uhmmm... the question is just begging to be asked:

Why are you using Enterprise edition? Did you acquire it for free or something? :D

Professional offers almost all the same goodies minus a few and comes in at about 4GB less space consumed after an installation - that's not counting page file, hibernation file, etc etc, that's just the bare OS itself.

He's working at a university. Enterprise is site-licensed, and has stuff professional does not.

Back