Using Technology To Lend A Hand

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do any of you guys use apps to do your charitable giving?

Many of us would probably do more if philanthropy weren't so inconvenient. That's the thinking, at least, of established charitable organizations as well as new apps and websites that make giving as affordable as buying a cup of coffee and as simple as using a smartphone.

I think the short answer is no.

They will probably see an initial spike in giving, that likely won't outstrip the cost of the app development, followed by a return to the normal levels. The thing about giving is that people that give, like the feeling of giving, and an app completely strips that feeling away. Your act of giving becomes a line on your bank statement without any smiles or acts of gratitude. Even worse, it probably means you get more automatically generated email.

So the long answer is no too.

Dumb idea, driven by fundraisers. If you are a fundraiser who is paid by the amount of money you attract, then this makes sense. Otherwise, it's not philanthropy or charity. It's mindless suctioning of your wallet.

I think the short answer is no.

They will probably see an initial spike in giving, that likely won't outstrip the cost of the app development, followed by a return to the normal levels. The thing about giving is that people that give, like the feeling of giving, and an app completely strips that feeling away. Your act of giving becomes a line on your bank statement without any smiles or acts of gratitude. Even worse, it probably means you get more automatically generated email.

So the long answer is no too.

I disagree. I think it will see decreased giving long term. The reality is most "charitable" organizations are a fucking scam for all intents and purposes. Most people giving would look at an 80% overhead rate as horrible, and the field is buried with organizations doing 90-98%. lowering the barrier of entry to annoying more people for money will increase the prevalence of those types of organizations faster than it will well run/managed charities even if only because establishing a well run charity is difficult work.

BS charity runs, BS coin tosses, being hassled at every checkout for whatever the fuck it is they will get written up for if they don't make a half assed attempt to shame you for not giving to, fuck them all.

That's my take, but I've always been big on informed giving. However, my wife loves to give to that shit.. well used to. The being nagged every time you shop stuff pushed her over the edge to my way of thinking. She's grown so tired of it that she has even axed any organization that escalates the form of contact. (i.e. I write you a check via mail, and you start calling me for more, you are gone. Contact me by mail, and we'll tolerate it).

You are right that some people are motivated by the good feeling giving gives them. There's a fine line between making someone feel good for giving and making them feel like shit because they can't afford to give every time they are asked and laying a guilt trip on them 24-7-365.

At my Church... you can give in the bucket, or via txting a phone number or through the app they have. I prefer the txt... once you link it to your card you just txt a number and bam ur done. Tithe Txting for the win!

Back