• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using symbolic links with games?

NismoTuned

n00b
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
49
This year was the first time I actually had a gaming computer, and the first time I ever bought anything from the Steam summer sale. I bought plenty of games, one of them being GTA IV mostly because of All the amazing graphics mods I've seen on youtube, and I also have plenty of friends who play it online. If you've spent any amount of time modding GTA IV graphics you'd know that patch version 1.0.4.0 is superior to the steam version or EFLC versions (1.0.7.0 and 1.1.2.0 respectively) when it comes to graphics mods. I would enjoy being able to retain multiplayer and have amazing graphics. I've figured out after testing the mods for 1.0.7.0 that its just not the same as what 1.0.4.0 can offer. The solution here is to have multiple copies of the game installed in different directories. Normally this would equate to at the least 44 ~ 45GB of data (Two copies of the game plus a backup). So naturally I'd like to find a way to reduce the amount of data I'd have stored considering I'm limited to my 128GB SSD and 500GB HDD. I think the best way to achieve this would be using symbolic links. Would this be possible? Obviously not every file is compatible between the two patches, but I would bet that some of the larger files such as textures and models would be. Could I make a symbolic link(or links) that point from the main directory to the other installation of the game?

If you are unaware of what symbolic links are, here is a good read I found while browsing the steam forum. "How-To: Use Symbolic Links to Master Vista's File System"

Whew. Sorry if that was long winded. After doing poor in english class last year I figured I should start writing better.
 
Back
Top