• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using speakers on my PS3

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
2,036
Hi, I have a set of Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 THX speakers and a Creative Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeMusic sound card. I also have a Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" LCD monitor which I use via HDMI connection.

Obviously the speakers plug into the back of my computer to the sound card port when I use the PC, but when I want to play my PS3 on my monitor, I have to unplug the speakers from the sound card and plug them into the back of my monitor. This is problematic and rather annoying. WITHOUT buying a new sound card with external controls, is there anyway I can speed this process up?

Thanks
 
Ok, I tried to look online but there seems to be several versions of the MX5021, so I'm trying to guess my best here. Seems like you are connecting your PS3 to your monitor via HDMI for video and audio, and then just setting the monitor to transfer the audio to the MX5021. Am I correct?

If that is the case, then you can buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable like THIS ONE, and connect that from the control pod in the MX5021 to the monitor. Of course, I'm assuming the control pod has an extra 3.5mm input jack, for a total of 2, and also some type of button to switch the signal. One from your PC and one from your monitor(PS3). Again, you didn't provide enough info.

Ok, hope that helps somehow.
 
Ok, I tried to look online but there seems to be several versions of the MX5021, so I'm trying to guess my best here. Seems like you are connecting your PS3 to your monitor via HDMI for video and audio, and then just setting the monitor to transfer the audio to the MX5021. Am I correct?

If that is the case, then you can buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable like THIS ONE, and connect that from the control pod in the MX5021 to the monitor. Of course, I'm assuming the control pod has an extra 3.5mm input jack, for a total of 2, and also some type of button to switch the signal. One from your PC and one from your monitor(PS3). Again, you didn't provide enough info.

Ok, hope that helps somehow.

I wasn't aware there were different versions of the MX5021, are you sure? I know they can come in black or white. Here is what I have:

http://www.comtrade.fr/compublish/site/publish/images/ALTEC/HD/enceintes/mx5021.jpg

Yes, I obtain audio and sound via HDMI and the monitor does the work like you said. However, my control block has only 1 headphone port (not 2) and 1 microphone port (AUX). There is no way I can switch signal over from the control block :(
 
I use to run the audio through the rca connectors, then rca to 3.5 jack adapter, then plugged that into the line in port on my sound card and just ran the audio through the computer to the speakers.
 
Back
Top