Using SP1 Beta for VISTA: Anyone Else?

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
Post discoveries and such here; I've installed sp1 beta (anyone can) and I do think I like it so far. VISTA feels very snappy, and I have a tweaked system to begin with. So far so good...

Here's how:

Go here to start

great as soon as i get my machine to run right i will download and see how it is thanks

I upgraded it on one of my computers, not bad. But I am not going to do it on any of my main rigs, due to the fact that I am afraid that they will make me reformat my HD when the final SP1 gets released.....

I upgraded it on one of my computers, not bad. But I am not going to do it on any of my main rigs, due to the fact that I am afraid that they will make me reformat my HD when the final SP1 gets released.....

I just ;made an image prior to installation; I'm sure the final version will be fine to install over it, or else it's simple to uninstall this SP 1 via the add/remove program files...it's actually downloaded via windows update so no worries. :)

I have it installed on my work laptop..

It makes my Local Area Connection disappear randomly. I will plug in and can't figure out why I don't have connectivity so I look in Network Connections (which now takes twice the number of clicks to get to than in XP BTW) and the LAN connection is gone.

Reboot and it's fine..

Didn't do this until I installed SP1..

But programs do seem to be a little snappier..

Riley

You can always drag the network link to a shortcut in your file explorer window for fast access! :)

I'm not having any connectivity/network problems.

Any idea when it will go final? I know its suppose to release by the end of this year so im assuming late November. Anything from Microsoft saying when its going to be released?

If you are even asking that question, antok86, then you are approaching things the wrong way. It is a 'beta' service pack release, and it's not even complete. You shouldn't be thinking of installing it to anything other than a 'testbench' machine. The idea of using a pre-release beta distribution is to test for bugs in it, and you install it to a rig that you intend to wipe and clean install after you've finished with the testing :)

Any idea when it will go final? I know its suppose to release by the end of this year so im assuming late November. Anything from Microsoft saying when its going to be released?

The SP won't be released till first quarter 2008!

so if u install this u can uninstall it?

Well, o.k. about the test machine advice, that's probably good advice, but my rig is a work computer and 24/7 kind of deal but I installed it; if anything it's more stable than it was before. LOL, you could argue the point that VISTA is prerelease in it's releaesd form, so as far as that goes....eh....

To answer your question, you can uninstall it. The pr9ocess involves 4 udpates directly from microsoft. It's not a hack or anything. Each update can be uninstalled.

Here's a great idea of the experience of installing this SP: Diary

Cheers!

i recieved massive amounts of artifacts on the screen

random vista slowdowns became more frequent(i could literally move the mouse in a circle, and ever 1-2 seconds, it would stop for a tick... and then continue on, god this was annoying)

internet explorer crashed alot more

dock stopped working properly

dual monitors went nutts

installed xp

Something else was going on there VErge; that sounds like something screwy but certainly not from the SP or VisTa

this this beta fix the slow file transfer issue in vista?

First time I am posting in....months!

Anyway, yes it did fix the slow file transfers for me. Also, as reported it does make things much snappier.

Only thing I can ask for is a better audio subsystem (and better drivers from Creative (if that is even possible)).

At any rate the final release of SP1 will be much appreciated!

so lets say...i install this will i have to reinstall vista when and if the final comes out?

First time I am posting in....months!

Anyway, yes it did fix the slow file transfers for me. Also, as reported it does make things much snappier.

Only thing I can ask for is a better audio subsystem (and better drivers from Creative (if that is even possible)).

At any rate the final release of SP1 will be much appreciated!

Creative recently released a CD for VISTA; I got the iso. I haven't had any problems with audio since then, for the most part. I suggest you look for this or browse the creative forums about this if you haven't already.

so lets say...i install this will i have to reinstall vista when and if the final comes out?

no, this is an update; you can uninstall these updates via add/remove programs. Still, if you're worried about it then don't do it it will be released next year.

As said earlier, it's a beta release and shouldn't be deployed on a system which is in actual everyday use. Even if there's an 'uninstaller' provided you can't rely upon that because the fact of the thing being beta means it is incomplete and imperfect.

'Wipe and reinstall' is the only sensible/sure way to move on from beta software and patches.

Creative recently released a CD for VISTA; I got the iso. I haven't had any problems with audio since then, for the most part. I suggest you look for this or browse the creative forums about this if you haven't already.

Trust me, I have been there and done that. I have been up and down their entire "driver" list. I am one of those people who has those mentioned crackling and popping issues regardless of what combination of software and drivers I try. Actually, the ones they just pulled (October 9th) worked the best on my system. I did not have any games installed though so I could not speak for them. Listening to regular old music worked like a charm though.

I can predict that I will be buying a new sound card in the future (Probably an Oxygen variant).

Glad to hear you had no problems though!

Ok i've been using SP1 Beta now for 1 week on my Dell 1720 (that doesn't even have correct drivers for x64 Vista Ultimate which I am running) and it's been in the whole great.

Infact, it loads from Sleep mode so much quicker & everything seems slightly quicker.

I have noticed a few untimely Explorer crashes that I cannot put down to anything other than SP1 Beta (it never happened before, but then again it could be x64 Vista on my PC given that a lot of the drivers had to be downloaded from the manufacturers web site and are not Dell Approved) , but this isn't really an issue as it happens maybe once every 3 or 4 it loads & Vista can resume from Explorer crashes in about 5 seconds without rebooting :)

So all in all, got to be worth a go !!!

I'm so temped by this SP1 BETA, but just can't get myself to install it since I downloaded and installed all these Hotfixes and installed 'em my Vista has been running so smooth.

Back