Using SODIMM's in a desktop?

Tantalum

n00b
I have two high end (1033Mhz) DDR2 SODIMM's in my laptop, would it be possible to use them in my desktop? I know they won't physically fit in the socket, but are the pins essentially the same? As in, if I solder a wire from each pin to the correct pin on the motherboard, would the ram work?

This question almost doesn't justify an answer... :rolleyes:

But if you need a response... no

But.. But....

ddr2_sodimm_converter.jpg

It doesn't look too complicated to make myself!

I'm an Electrical Engineer... trust me, that CANNOT me made with a couple wires, solder and some hopes 'n' dreams.

But.. But....

ddr2_sodimm_converter.jpg

It doesn't look too complicated to make myself!

If you can figure out the trace lengths and where exactly they go to from that picture.. then knock yourself out.

The trace lengths are "tuned" for correct timing, etc. If you did actually get ot to work with just wires, it would most likely be very unstable at best.

The trace lengths are "tuned" for correct timing, etc. If you did actually get ot to work with just wires, it would most likely be very unstable at best.

That's what I was worried about, I remember someone trying something similar to this, he had planned on trying to wire his CPU to the motherboard socket so that he would not need to insulate the motherboard when using LN2.

I want to try this, but my only motherboard I feel confident trying it out on is this old DDR2 500Mhz or so FSB dell motherboard.

If I keep all the wires roughly the same-ish length, do you think it might be possible?

I remember something about the I-Ram, where people would use extra "dummy" motherboards as a way to extend the number of I-Rrams they could run or something. I recall that they would solder wires from the ram pins on the motherboards to the I-ram's pins.

"Roughly" and precision electronics usually do not fit well in the same sentence...

Tell you what, if you are convinced you can do it I will buy you a new motherboard if you can get it to work and pass one run of Memtest...

That's what I was worried about, I remember someone trying something similar to this, he had planned on trying to wire his CPU to the motherboard socket so that he would not need to insulate the motherboard when using LN2.

I want to try this, but my only motherboard I feel confident trying it out on is this old DDR2 500Mhz or so FSB dell motherboard.

If I keep all the wires roughly the same-ish length, do you think it might be possible?

I remember something about the I-Ram, where people would use extra "dummy" motherboards as a way to extend the number of I-Rrams they could run or something. I recall that they would solder wires from the ram pins on the motherboards to the I-ram's pins.

If you absolutely have to use those modules on a desktop, just buy that adapter you linked. Otherwise you will likely end up destroying the modules and the MOBO.

If you absolutely have to use those modules on a desktop, just buy that adapter you linked. Otherwise you will likely end up destroying the modules and the MOBO.

Those adapters aren't cheap.... they are meant to be used in the RAM testing equipment and as such are quite pricey. It would be WAY cheaper to just buy the correct RAM for the motherboard.

Those adapters aren't cheap.... they are meant to be used in the RAM testing equipment and as such are quite pricey. It would be WAY cheaper to just buy the correct RAM for the motherboard.

Or, a more current DDR2 or DDR3 RAM + MOBO bundle after eBaying the SODIMMs might be a good idea. No chance of destroying anything while trying to solder either 288 or 400 TINY 24AWG wires that are the EXACT same length and properly insulated, etc. :p

I'm intrigued as to what SO-DIMM's you are using in what laptop. For DDR2 I have only ever seen 800MHz (PC2-6400) max and am not aware of anything higher although some modules appear to be overclockable on standard voltage to ~1000MHz.

You could probably sell off the SO-DIMM for enough to by DIMMS (second hand) with even better specs. Wouldn't be as much fun though :p

Back